Sign in to follow this  
nhill40

A (probably stupid) 3 monitor question

nhill40   

I have a (probably stupid) triple screen question for the forum...

Following the prevailing wisdom out there, I run a pretty low FOV setting across all the sims I drive in.  I even use an FOV calculator where I plug in my monitor size (which happens to be a single 27") and measure the distance from my face to the screen - whatever the calculator spits out as a recommended FOV setting for that specific sim, I try to get as close to that number as possible.

Overall, I'm very happy - it slows down the sensation of speed (which some people would try to tell you is a bad thing...I personally think those people are wrong ;) ) and lets me be more precise hitting my reference points.  The two main downsides I have found are:

1) I usually can't see much of the car's dash and/or wheel, so I lose some information (whether it be a gear indicator, rev/shift lights, etc).  Honestly this isn't a huge deal, as I can get most of that information back through a combination of HUD settings and/or DashMeterPro.

2) Tight corners - like "The Loop" (T4) at Silverstone - can be a total crapshoot.  About all I can do is memorize a turn-in point, crank the wheel a certain amount based upon muscle memory, and hope I come somewhat close to the apex & track-out points!  Less than ideal... :(

So, this finally leads me to my question - would my downside #2 be addressed by a three monitor setup?  In my mind it would - going into "The Loop" for example, I would simply be able to glance at the left monitor, pick up the apex, and then track it as it rotated around my FOV.  But, since I've never even driven in a 3 monitor setup, I'm not sure if this is a realistic expectation or not - can someone let me know?

Panther   

I ran a very low low FOV on my single 40" screen based on calculations, and had issues on many courses with hitting the marks as needed. I upgraded to triples, and have improved a lot in my opinion. However I still struggle with overall pace to be competitive with others. I personally think triples is way better than a single screen, you can see so much more. My only regret is not going to triples much sooner.

F19_CoNa   

Yes, that blind apex issue is solved by going triple. There are corners that you probably will need VR set or 3x40" to be able to look into. then again, I think many of those corners are quite blind even IRL

I only have issues at Silverstone T4 when I have another car by my side, and need to go "off race line"

Another benefit is just that. You will notice when you have another car just beside and still race without contact.

nhill40   

I would be tempted to laugh off VR as impractical from a cost standpoint, but when you consider triples will cost me:

1) A second video card

2) Two additional monitors

3) Likely some kind of monitor mount (like the Obutto Ozone I have been eyeing for a while)

Suddenly, VR doesn't sound quite so impractical!!!  :)

Oqvist   

VR will be very demanding on the GPU as well. I am a bit on a dilemma I am now on 50" and I don´t have room for 3x50 so VR better work out ;). Luckily 270 degree corners are not that usual. Silverstone I don´t have any problem with but last corner at Fuji... Mianiacs Nurburgring but I hear triple monitor users having problem with blind apexes there as well :)

Coutie   

If you can run 60 fps on your setup, you should be okay with VR.

nhil, you shouldn't need another video card, most have more than enough inputs these days. I'm running triples off my GTX 670 970. If you are going to do triples, make sure you get three of the same monitor. I have three different sized ones...