Oqvist

OSW ordered

35 posts in this topic

No return now just ordered and payed for Ollies OSW package. The pound just keep going up sadly it will surely go down now...

What I ordered so far:

Self-assembly DD FFB kit consisting of 

Small Mige

Pre-assembled MIGe Power & Feedback cables

All-in-one board (Sim-ple for IONI)

IONI Pro

Ascher Racing MIGe mount

Holger's OSW Adapter with COM-B 22x32

E-Stop

Enable Switch

Ferrite Cores

600W Switching PSU

@ 725GBP inc VAT (Europe) / 1050USD (Australia & New Zealand) / 1025USD (Canada & USA)

Got myself a cooler master 130 htpc case.

OMP Trecento 300mm rim cheap one with fake leather to go with my RMD 320 mm and 365 mm Momo Classic, 289$ sam maxwell basic usb button plate. 

Martin Ascher paddle shifters.

As for quick release just for convenience may go for the Holgers will see. If I want to move my SMC button box around QR is redundant though so will wait a bit on that one.

total cost without QR around 1590 Euro. 

Change of plans. Found this button plate http://www.ascher-racing.com/wp-content/uploads/LW__6513.jpg at Martin Aschers webshop. I was then told the omp won´t fit but the QSP 300 seem to be a really good replacement with similar design. Got Suede hopefully I can get comfortable driving with some OMP Gloves I just ordered as not to wear it down as fast.

http://www.ascher-racing.com/wp-content/uploads/LW__6513.jpg

http://www.ascher-racing.com/wp-content/uploads/LW__6523.jpg

I received my OSW kit from Ollie at Sim plicity this week.

I went for the partially assembled package with small mige.

I have it assembled and tested. Next step is to chip the fanatec Formula Rim so it works and today I found that my fanatec (plain) CSR pedals are not a USB compatible device.

So I need some pedals. If anyone has any ideas let me know. I have placed bids on CSPV1 and CSR Elite pedals on Ebay.

On 18 augusti 2015 at 3:41 PM, Oqvist said:

Change of plans. Found this button plate http://www.ascher-racing.com/wp-content/uploads/LW__6513.jpg at Martin Aschers webshop. I was then told the omp won´t fit but the QSP 300 seem to be a really good replacement with similar design. Got Suede hopefully I can get comfortable driving with some OMP Gloves I just ordered as not to wear it down as fast.

http://www.ascher-racing.com/wp-content/uploads/LW__6513.jpg

http://www.ascher-racing.com/wp-content/uploads/LW__6523.jpg

Any closer to finishing the project Pär?

I shipped it away to have somebody help me with the case for the electronics. Will see when I get it back :)

Well after a year from orderdate I got my OSW last week!

Incredible piece of hardware. Just the fact to have no flex at all when holding the rim. Running rFactor 2 the OSW itself is impressively silent even over kerbs. The 600W PSU I chose sadly does make an incredible amount of noise. 

Sadly I am in the percentage that get huge grounding issues on both my HE Sim Ultimate pedals and Ascher Button plate which seem not that easy to fix in my setup. Not really found the right grounding spots yet. Read that Asus mainboards in general often have big grounding issues. Also read the SimUCube solve some of these issues.

Managed to do some quick runs. Ffb feels better and more informative the stiffer it goes however you get to a point where you fight the wheel. I do gain some tenth by lowering ffb then I maybe don´t feel that much more from my TX but everything is so solid and the dynamics is way better. The 4 left bender at Istanbul is still really mean at 0.43 % ffb on a 280 mm rim while otherwise maybe not giving more resistance then I am used to. My TX do constantly clip though. Sadly I can´t report any new PBs I don´t see them coming tbh.

On 17/11/2016 at 10:22 PM, Oqvist said:

Sadly I can´t report any new PBs I don´t see them coming tbh.

I am sure they'll come, just give yourself some time ! Unless you're already an Alien :)

Have you tested your OSW with WheelCheck to compare its caracteristics to your TX ?

49 minutes ago, JuGo said:

I am sure they'll come, just give yourself some time ! Unless you're already an Alien :)

Have you tested your OSW with WheelCheck to compare its caracteristics to your TX ?

I am at least matching the times good enough since immersion is so much higher. 

I got grounding cables for my HE pedals. Just that helped a lot but hooking it all up to an active usb 3 hub and knock on wood no more ground issues! 

Using real racing gloves to help dampen the vibrations and give more wrist support does help. I have just found them cumbersome when trying to use my omp ks-1s on my TX feeling like I loose all feel, get all clumpsy and worse grip but now all of a sudden they make sense.

I have not checked it with wheelcheck. 

I had no idea what OSW was until tonight - this looks awesome, Per!

I'm looking through the tutorial -  From a practical standpoint of what I actually need to support the hobby, I doubt I'll do it...but,from a tech tinkerer standpoint, I *really* have the itch to do this and am very jealous!

I dropped a line to Ollie last week. Getting very tempted, might be an early xmas present to myself.

Total cost inc wheel and button plate/paddles is a bit frightening tho, I must be mad!

2 hours ago, Brun said:

I dropped a line to Ollie last week. Getting very tempted, might be an early xmas present to myself.

Total cost inc wheel and button plate/paddles is a bit frightening tho, I must be mad!

It does look pricey but, in all seriousness, I think the satisfaction of building it yourself would be immense.

Also, based on my own personal experience with sim racing/sim racers, you probably *are* a bit mad!  I don't think many psychologists would endorse using the personality type of your average sim racer and using it as a baseline for "normal"...  :hahaha:

Rebuilt my rig a bit now that I also  have an OSW.

I'm modding the Sam Maxwell wheel also by adding Ascher shifters and putting another USB controller in it.

Last thing to do is order a quick release, but that will have to wait. Drained the "gaming account" bone dry by now.

IMG_2223.JPG

Peripherals can easilly cost you as much or more then the OSW if you aren´t careful. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-2k91z-PQopSlNJWVc5MFdaQnc/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-2k91z-PQopYkJ1Q1lJSlJ3NGs/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-2k91z-PQopV3Jfb3h4cC1jLUU/view?usp=sharing

To tight to take decent pictures and a lot of cable management to do when I find time.

Nixim Racecraft GT is what it sits on. Feels like it was designed for the OSW way ahead of it´s time. Pedal base was not quite strong enough for the HEs did need reinforcements but absolutely no flex on the wheel mount and 90 kg steel do dampens vibrations quite well.  I can keep my keyboard in the keyboard tray. I can afford to have my Acer Predator Z35 on it. It has a really beafy stand but of course it still shakes some when going over kerbs.  Don´t really notice it in the races because I shake myself at the same but having it isolated would not be bad of course :)

The little suede that was left on my rmd malaga is now gone. Next wheel purchase will have to be leather not suede. This wheel have some flex I realized after putting it on the OSW so it needs to go.

Trying to cut costs I bought a QR for 10$! But of course I can sense some play even before attaching it. Not much but it defeats the purpose entirely with a directdrive wheel. The Quick Releases that can withstand all the vibrations of an OSW seldom go below 250$ for wheel and base side.

Button plate is an Ascher C20XL. Good fit for the 320 mm RMD but could be even larger perhaps for 320mm rims and upwards. I won´t catch any buttons by misstake at least. Shifters is excellent. I got some weaker magnets for them and it does help with faster shifting though less distinct. May get back to the stronger magnets when using real racing gloves.

Starting to feel confident I solved all my grounding issues. Had to use both the grounding cables for my HE it seemed to completely solve it. And connect it all to active USB 3 hub. Also changed the connector so I could get the power and encoder cable a bit further apart from eachother. Knock on wood! No problems with my Ascher Button plate either.

Looks great, Per - nice work and thanks for sharing your pics/feedback/advice.

I'm definitely putting this on my mid-to-long-term possible projects list.  I really don't think it's in the cards for me in the near term, but this is highly intriguing to me on multiple levels.

So, how is it after a successfull endurance race, not too strong ?

I had read that some complained about the kerbs making the wheel shake too much, is it a problem for you too ?

31 minutes ago, JuGo said:

So, how is it after a successfull endurance race, not too strong ?

I had read that some complained about the kerbs making the wheel shake too much, is it a problem for you too ?

Yeah kerbs can be violent but it depends on your settings. You can set the OSW to be softer then a G27 at 100 % no problem. I was a bit worried. I was very fatigued the day before the race due to my work just as much if not more then my OSW. I have also had to run sequential the last weeks due to having to send my button box back for repairs which didn´t helped my left arm any either. 

But I put max force down to 50 % instead of 60 % for the race and 1.00 in game  Did close to 3h and I could easilly do 1-2 hours more. I ran without damping just 3 in the in game setting kerbs didn´t fight back to much at these settings. Just match your fatigue with the max force slider and you will be fine. And you can run damping also of course.

Im using D1 spec quick release which is made in Taiwan->http://www.d1spec.com.tw/s/2/product-315874/Ball-Lock-Steering-Wheel-Quick-Release.html

Its about 70€ shipped from Ebay seller in UK -> http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xd1+specs+quick+release.TRS0&_nkw=d1+specs+quick+release&_sacat=0

Its not as cheap as the Chinese made ones but the quality is very good as there is no play in the quick release at least for now.

I need to buy second quick release for my other wheel which will be using 3D printed paddle shifters and button plate. Ill be also converting my main wheel to 3D printed button plate but using Acher Racings paddle shifters.

Should have asked you before purchase. I ruined myself on a set of holgers Q1R. Getting it today hopefully. Then I am done beside maybe some replacement of my flexing 320 mm. It´s certainly fine to race with but I have a thing for no flex :)

Does your QSP steering wheel flex or is it another wheel  ?.

Im thinking of buying QSP 300mm suede version.

Holgers are great but the initial cost was quite high for me. The great thing is that you need to buy only the wheel side for your future wheels and those are only 69€ + shipping.

Im trying to cut cost as much as possible so thats why im 3D printing my wheel parts and button boxes.

Yeah need to be able to mount several on it or most of the point with QR gets lost for me. Installed my Q1R and yes I am happy I went with it. You get what you pay for! Not really prepared for how mean and professional it make the rims look :) 

15401315_1216628545069767_861534483_n.jp

Dishes and cleanup has to wait ;)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-2k91z-PQopS2xVWl9wUDd6a00

QSP is a bit more solid then the RMD 320 mm don´t have much in term of flex. It has a really thick grip so you need to like that. 

My first ever steering wheel that uses 3d printed button plate is ready. This is just a test version to test the electronics and to make sure that the 3D printed parts are strong enough. Im on very tight budget so the button plate is using under 4€ Arduino Leonardo Micro controller for electronics and the buttons are cheap too.

Ill make design changes after im sure that everything works. I will be also making another plate for my 280mm Sparco wheel where also the paddle shifter is 3d printed. 

Sadly I cant drive and test it because my ankle started acting up again.:nope:

Sparco front.jpg

Sparco back.jpg

Yes, really nice, does not look cheap at all :yep:

Hope you'll be able to enjoy it soon !

Im relatively happy with the first test version but there is more to come. :)

Really nice :thumbsup:

I'm planning on doing something similar soon. Just wish I had a 3d printer to create a shell around the box.

Will order two d1 spec qr also. Just hope they can take the punishment without starting to wobble or get play in them.

D1 specs quick release have been very solid for me so I just bought a second one.

Yes, I have asked them for some more information on that inkluding the QR. I would like to see how that one works.

OSW ordered!

Cold out here today so figured I'd just stay indoors and spend all my money. Went for the pre-built small mige from sim-pli.city, accompanied by a Sparco P300 (had to match my seat) and a C20M (plus alt. magnets) from Martin Ascher. Decided not to bother with a quick release, will cross that bridge when i come to it if necessary. Hopefully I should have it all by next Saturday.

I do have one unfortunate problem however. For the time being at least I'm gonna keep using the T500 pedals and after ordering the above, remembered I needed the adapter to use them standalone. Went to Thrustmaster website... 'out of stock'. Can I find anywhere else in the whole of Europe which has them? No. Bummer. Knew Leo Bodnar made one for Logitech pedals, but does look like there's owt for this situation.

So it looks like I'll be faced with having to leave the T500 wheel connected which will be a bit of a pain. Sent a message to Thrustmaster so hopefully have news from them soon, otherwise I'll be eyeing up new pedals as well. :screwy: