goon

GPU upgrade advice

goon   

Hi all,

I've just installed a triple screen set up. My MSI R9 280 is struggling a little. Am I better upgrading the card completely or installing another 280 and Crossfiring?

Thanks for any ideas,

Gareth

Oqvist   

I would recommend stick with single GPUs and spend a bit more on that.

SLi is very hit and miss and it always introduce input lag and/or stutter.

At best I got a 90 % fps increase at other times I got 0 and just the drawbacks of SLi. So you may end up choosing what sims you run based on how well they run on SLi and pay more for less performance if you are unlucky.

zim2323   

SLI/Crossfire in any form for sim racing is bad.

There's a new 980 Ti coming soon that will have 6gb for around $700. You'll want a car with at least 4GB of RAM to run triples and not run into texture memory issues.

goon   

Thanks for the information. I can't justify the higher end cards mentioned, but could stretch to an R9 290X. I'll have to look in to the relative performance to my 280.

zim2323   

You better off sticking with 1 monitor for the newer sims then. You can get away with 3 monitors in older sims based on rF1.

goon   

Thanks Doug, that's a good article. It looks like a toss up between an R9 290X or a GTX970. Anyone got any direct experience with pCars and triple screen with those cards?

F19_CoNa   

I have the 970 with triples and it works well.

Don't expect to run all on highest settings with PC though.

I have most on high, with some features turned off and run 50-90 fps.

Never lower though.

My experiance (was on AMD before) is that most sims run better with Nvidia cards.

Seems most racing and flight titles have been more optimized towards the green team.

PC is definately one of those titles.

goon   

I had heard that about the nvidia stuff. Just ordered a 970. Thanks for the opinions everyone.

goon   

I hope so Doug. Picking it up this afternoon, just in time for pCars to be taken off the Steam Library ahead of release!

Be sure to uninstall all the existing ATI/AMD drivers and utilities for the Radeon. After reboot, check for residue AMD folders. They tend to leave a lot of fragments in dead folders. wink

zim2323   

Per Doug's recommendation, here's a link at Guru3D.com for the display driver uninstaller...

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

FYI...I've never had a problem with leaving ATI/AMD drivers installed. I've tried with and without, as well as cleanup and never had any additional stability or framerate hits. I think it's mostly unfounded paranoia that leads people to do this. I've got 2 Nvidia cards and an AMD display card in my system, mixed drivers. No problems. If you have issues with installing new drivers, you probably had other issues in the first place or "your doing it wrong".

I think this still falls under "better safe than sorry", and doesn't hurt anything to go through the process of cleaning out old drivers, or at least have the tool available in the case you do have an issue.

goon   

Thanks guys. I have it installed (but not triple screened yet as I need a different cable). I'll give that ATI cleaner a go to make sure nothing has been left behind.

goon   

Running superbly last night. A huge improvement in FPS and noise from the PC. A very worthwhile upgrade! Thanks for all the opinions.

nhill40   

Kind of a general question, but if I'm looking at a card in my price range and I have an option between a 2GB and 4GB model (same chipset), is it worth to splurge for the extra RAM?

I'm really not sure how much performance is bound by the chip vs how much is bound by the RAM...I'm guessing it's a combination of the two (and might even vary from graphics engine to graphics engine, depending on how they're coded), but not sure where the balance point lies.

F19_CoNa   

Depends on what resolution you will run.

If you are on 1920x1080 or below, 2GB will be enough. You will not see any higher fps on most games.

If you are on tripples or a 4k monitor, or planning for Oculus Rift then 4GB will be better.

nhill40   

If you are on 1920x1080 or below, 2GB will be enough. You will not see any higher fps on most games.

If you are on tripples or a 4k monitor, or planning for Oculus Rift then 4GB will be better.

Good advice, thank you.

I've done a bit of price shopping - my 570 is starting to fall behind, but I like to wait until I can make a really sizeable performance jump at a good price point, and I just can't make the numbers work right now.

Originally Posted By: F19_CoNa

Good advice, thank you.

I've done a bit of price shopping - my 570 is starting to fall behind, but I like to wait until I can make a really sizeable performance jump at a good price point, and I just can't make the numbers work right now.

As said above: the GTX 970 is the card to get price/perf. Triple screens? GTX 980

The 960 will be faster than your 570 but not enough to make a sizeable difference.

The 970 will give plenty of performance, but you also have to account for CPU and RAM.

Red team sucks in simracing. (Yeah, I got the R9-290, was the cheapest at the time for that performance)

This is a good benchmark for one of the more demanding titles (pcars) Kotaku Pcars

kludger   

Good advice, thank you.

In case it helps I went from a 670/4GB to a 970/4GB and have noticed a pretty sizable performance improvement in FPS and smoothness in sims with high settings on.

A much larger performance improvement than I noticed going from 570 to 670 previously.

Try this comparison chart from Tom's Hardware.

It lists all kinds of expensive SLI and single car configurations. wink

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2015-vga-charts/08-Dirt3-1080p,3671.html

It is based on Dirt3 @ 1080p resolution.

Dirt3 is the closest test title they offer to what we use in racing sims.

If your computer graphics card isn't listed on this chart, that's probably a good signal it is time to upgrade to see some benefits. smile

Couple of other suggestions. FPS isn't the only concern. Look at the lowest frame per second.

Also, some of these cards are live grenades just ready to go off. Check the amount they overclock from the reference card. AMD/ATI and NVIDIA have "reference" card specifications and each company that offers their cards can tweak or change the add-on specs from the reference card. Presumably to offer more value, but sometimes to get gamers to jump on a card that has high fps but terrible durability and minimal fps.