nhill40

what do you do for audio?

37 posts in this topic

Don't know what kids do with headsets, but my son has broken several sets (of his own sets) last year. I have soldered them up, or glued them if cracked so he has to go with what he got right now.

And just as I compained last time when he broke a set , I managed to break my own :sigh: 

The Corsair 2000 has served me several years by now, but the plastics started to crack.

Got me a pair of Kingston hyperx cloud and replaced my old crative xi-fi soundcard with a Asus Xonar U7 DAC. The hyperx is the same as QPAD qh-90 but has extra velor pads included if you don't like the leather ones. Super comfy and light with very high build quality. No creaking plastic.

They are not as punchy as the x2000, but has much clearer sound and deeper bass. 

The real improvement was going with a DAC, I can crank it up to 100% and there is absolutely no noise or hissing sound that you usually get with onboard soundcards. Lots of adjustments can be made and the great thing, I can easily just change from headset to speakers with a press of a button.

I got the Logitech G930 for the PC (wireless) and the Turtle Beach XO Seven Pro for the Xbox One (not wireless).

I like both of these sets quite a bit and they're not overly expensive.

Luckily, my kids don't touch mine. 

I've been very happy with my Logitech 930 headset. It does go asleep once in a great while and loses signal but for most events having cord free is wunnerful.

This is perhaps a dumb question, but dumb questions are sort of my thing, so here goes...

Is it possible to get "directional" sound from headphones?  Not sure why this took so long to occur to me, but it seems like it would be really cool/helpful to be able to discern which corner of the car a wheel scrub sound effect is coming from.

Yes. Seems to work better in first person shooters (imo). Maybe just not as much directional development in race sims.

Something new:

StringPad headphones take haptic feedback in gaming to the next level

Introducing the world’s first motion simulation headset

http://www.stringpad.com/

Interesting. Would like a headband with just the rumble part that fits whatever headphone I got. I do miss bass shakers but everyone I try is to loud :(