nhill40

what do you do for audio?

37 posts in this topic

Another "informal poll" smile

What is your preferred method to get the sweet sim sounds into your auditory canals?

I've honestly not ever given it much thought - I have a halfway decent but old Altec Lansing setup (with a small subwoofer) that I splurged on (or, at least it felt like a "splurge" at that stage in my life) when I got my first job out of college. I don't really have much to compare it to, but it seem to have some nice sound quality and, if the kids aren't asleep, if I crank it up high enough the vibration from the sub adds a nice touch of immersion.

At any rate, I wouldn't say I'm upset with my sound setup by any means, I'm just curious what others do - plain old PC speakers? Nice sound setup? Headphones???

have neighbours so mostly I use my Sony CD 3000 headphones. Sometimes I use the Audeze LCD-2s but they leak like crazy and I don´t want to sweat to much with them so only shorter stints.

Also have a pair of JVC DX 1000 headphones.

Have an old logitech z640 speaker system that I rarely use. But they are loud enough when used.

Use my Corsair vengance 2000 headset mostly. Really good sound and confortable for long runs.

Had g35 before, but they were not good for long races. Too sweaty around the ears after an hour or so.

Headphones have many advantages.

Logitech G930

Thanks for the feedback, gents. What are some of the advantages as you see (or I guess hear smile ) them, Doug?

Headphones allow you to concentrate better and it [usually] keeps others from interrupting. Conversely, no problem with "turn that damn thing down" from the Ms or if you live in an apartment, from neighbors. With TS3, much easier to balance out the tire, engine, sounds with the voice comms. I have hearing damage from illness, so it helps to balance out the surround sound. Generally, it helps the immersion.

Headphones allow you to concentrate better and it [usually] keeps others from interrupting. Conversely, no problem with "turn that damn thing down" from the Ms or if you live in an apartment, from neighbors. With TS3, much easier to balance out the tire, engine, sounds with the voice comms. I have hearing damage from illness, so it helps to balance out the surround sound. Generally, it helps the immersion.

+1 on that Doug.

Creative ZXR and open backed Philips Fedelio X1 cans with and addon Byerdynamic mic.

I love the sound and feel of open backed headphones. It doesn't feel like you're wearing headphones, more like being sat inbetween two massive speakers. Wouldn't go back to anytning else. The X1's are one of the few pairs of headphones that give the massive and open soundstage you get from open backs but still keep the bass deep and pure.

I'm a massive fan of headphone gaming. Providing you take time to get something that sounds good and feels comfortable then the extra immersion and sound detail is worth having. Like Doug said, it makes TS easier and the missus doesn't bang on the walls.

Two things i learned the hard way - don't get the cable anywhere near your wheel when its calibrating, or run to the john mid race without taking them off.

Full size speakers is more full bodied no denying that if you get the hifi stuff and a proper sub in a godo room. But you can compensate with a good bass shaker though it´s hard to get the quality but you get more impact wink. However my neighbours don´t even allow me that lol. But I am quite comfortable with headphones for racing. Nice to block the outside world give maybe more of that enclosed cockpit feeling.

Experimental ...

Logitech Z506 5.1 speakers for environmental noise while using the G930 headset for TS comms. (kinda like you’re wearing a helmet)

This solves two problems for me ... I can crank the engine sound to 100% without it bothering me too much and I don’t have to use the TeamSpeak VolumeControl plugin to hear comms over my engine.

It’s sure to make everyone around me in the real world really mad though. biggrin

+1 from me as well.

I use a Sennheiser G4ME ZERO as a replacement from my broken and modded PC350.

Using a lowly Asus Xonar DGX soundcard for the high impedance headphones, nothing fancy.

I do have a VideoLogic DIGITHEATRE DTS that I use as a 2.1 system, it sounds really good but the missus would kill me if I raced with it on.

Wow, this is going to sound terribly naïve, but I've never even considered a soundcard (and I've been PC gaming for nearly a quarter century!)

Is there a big quality difference between the on board sound card and a dedicated one?

Wow, this is going to sound terribly naïve, but I've never even considered a soundcard (and I've been PC gaming for nearly a quarter century!)

Is there a big quality difference between the on board sound card and a dedicated one?

In general there is a world of a difference between on board and a decent soundcard. Of course there is better and worse onboard and better and worse soundcards so it all depends. Don´t forget the headphones/speakers you use!

I currently am using a receiver as a DAC. It´s old don´t even has HDMI so I got it virtually for free. I got two of them because I found it to be a heavenly match for my LCD-2 and I got one for 20$ and the second for 50$. If you have a lot of space and don´t need to move your computer around it´s an alternative to dedicated soundcard.

That depends and many says that it's not so anymore with the modern/enthusiast motherboards.

I do believe that the difference lies in the analogue realm. A good DAC and a good amplifier will sound better.

The only real difference (I do not have enough hearing or good enough headsets) for me is the amplifier in my soundcard. Since my headphones sounds anemic with the onboard sound. But I do hear some low level noise, when there is no sound. If I use the Audio interface on my Yamaha MX49 I do not hear any noise at all. So in my case I would benefit from an external DAC/AMP. Moving the analogue parts out of the computer should be beneficial. Getting a good pair headphones will probably gain more than getting a dedicated soundcard for most people. The issue itself is infected and I will not start a audiophile war here by stating things as facts. I can only report what I hear.

Based on my experience with onboard. Last mainboard was bought last year asus Z87-Pro the difference is still big. The manufacturers don´t really focus on that part they try to keep costs down. They could certainly make a good sounding DAC and put it on their mainboards but don´t want to spend the extra $ for something that is so hard to market I believe.

I get better sound out of my Ipod touch 3G and Samsung Galaxy Note 2 which is a fair comparison I feel.

The best I have in term of onboard is perhaps the nforce soundstorm. nVidia really focused on the audio part for a while that was about on par with a Creative Audigy soundcard. But that was many years ago so maybe today it wouldn´t impress that much who knows. You really can´t trust audio memory.

I have owned a lot of soundcards and they have varied in quality quite a bit too but all since the Audigy 2 at least has been better then any onboard solution I listened and compared them to.

As for headphones in general as Moondancer says headphones first then source. One will give the other there is no reason to run a bad source with good headphones. Amplifier matter the least in most cases I feel.

Sage advice to go for the headset first then decide if you need a discrete sound card.

Something I didn't anticipate being that beneficial, but has proved to be a real big help is the wireless capability of the G930. The hours I can run it without a cord is really enjoyable.

Thanks again for all the advice. I'm not quite ready to make a major financial outlay at this stage and go "all in", but I followed Doug's advice and picked up a semi-decent set of noise canceling cans as a start (since my kids broke my last TWO sets!!!)

Hey guod ... G930 right?! One of my all time favorite pieces of hardware if not #1.

I've had mine for almost four years now. I just checked Logitech and it's still the only over the ear wireless headset they make ... and it's going up in price. biggrinthumbsup

Yep, like it a lot Mark. Decent 7.1 sound that is wireless between recharging.

Headphones were a good investment. I will likely research a nicer sound card + plus a better set of cans at some point, but it can wait.

One thing that is kind of nice is that it blocks the wheel rattle (I run a G27 and it can get a bit noisy). You can tell yourself that a real car would have some rattling going on, but I think your brain is smart enough to differentiate from the fake sounds emitting from the sim and the real sounds of the wheel rattling - detracts from immersion, IMO.

Welp, glad I went cheap on the headphones - as of tonight, my kids have officially broken them! Made it all of about 2.5 months. Pre-kids, these would have lasted me more like 5 years...unbelievable. mad

Not sure I would be this pissed if this wasn't the 3rd pair they've managed to break!!!

At least I've since ditched the G27 so I don't need the noise dampening quite as much! smile

Dont let them touch The wheel lol

Yeah my kids are terribly careless with headphones too, I end up having to buy them in bulk for their computers, and I don't let them touch my own headphones which are a nice set.

That is also why I kept my older wheels (G27 and Fanatec GT2), if they get interested in simming I'll let them use my older wheels so that I can keep them off my TX wink

Glad I'm not the only one victimized by Destructive Offspring Syndrome (D.O.S.)

If they break my TX, I will be shipping them off to grandma's for about 6 months (or until I can look at their faces again without seeing a broken TX - whichever comes first smile )

I'll tell you the other thing they REALLY struggle with - our sliding screen door. We have a sliding door + screen that opens to our back deck - I've opened and closed that thing literally 1000's of times. Go ahead, ask me how many times it's come off its track? Anyone care to make a guess?

NEVER! Not once!

But my kids? Holy crap - about every third time they go outside: "Daaaaaaaaad...the screen door is off again!"

It's slides open, it slides closed. I can't get my adult brain around how this can be a complex piece of machinery to operate, but I can personally attest to both an 8 and a 6 year old having what seems to be an unbelievable amount of difficulty getting it opened/closed without it coming off the tracks.

In their defense, I'm assuming this task requires some kind of yet-to-be-refined fine motor skill - being kinda firm & gentle at the same time - that I take for granted as an adult. But I'd still rather they'd stop knocking the damned thing off the track! (and leave my headphones alone while they're at it!)

Astro A50's. Rated one of the best for overall sound quality by many gaming headset review sites. I have 2 pair, one of them has a dead battery in it. I've had no problems getting 8-9 hours out of them on a single charge. They will set you back about $300 though. They are a hundred times better than the G930's I had both in sound and quality. Both sets of G930's I had started cracking and falling apart at the seems and didn't sound very good once I had heard the Astro's for the first time.

http://www.astrogaming.com/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2858355/a...-expensive.html

http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3488347

Asus Xonar DX sound card running through a Technics SA-EX300 receiver dumped into a set of Beyerdynamic MMX300 cans.... smile...yummm...

Aaaaaaaaaannnnnd...my headphones are broken!

Son of a...!!!

I'm actually pretty pissed off.  They were not an expensive set (which is looking like a smart idea) and, yes, "kids will be kids"...but this is the THIRD pair they've wrecked.  That is what you call "a pattern"!  :nope:

Aaaaaaaaaannnnnd...my headphones are broken!

Son of a...!!!

I'm actually pretty pissed off.  They were not an expensive set (which is looking like a smart idea) and, yes, "kids will be kids"...but this is the THIRD pair they've wrecked.  That is what you call "a pattern"!  :nope:

Get Turtle Beach X12s, find a drawer or safe, and when you don't use them, hide them under lock and key. Those are now $38 shipped and I promise you are easily double their money's worth.

http://www.amazon.com/Gaming-Headset-Amplified-Stereo-Xbox-360/dp/B005EQE0YM/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1445533234&sr=1-1&keywords=turtle+beach+x12