Sign in to follow this  
nhill40

informal poll: what size of monitor are you running?

Panther   

Single 40" thinking about triples at some point, just don't know what to go with. Not exactly sure I want 3 40" though.

Oqvist   

50" 16:9. Works good 1,7 metres away. For proper windshield maybe I would be better off with a 40". Got a bit nausea with my 50" on my cockpit but sure impressive and it´s nice to have the right distance to the windshield. I can run 24/7 with this tv with no dry eyes or anything at my current position and no stiff neck from all the head movement needed with such large viewing area.

nhill40   

Holy smokes, some of you have gone all out!

Yes, it's working...feeling a little inferiority complex coming on over my 21.5". smile

I think I'm going to look into a (reasonable) upgrade, just gotta think about how much I want to spend and weigh that against the improvement in immersion. Do you think I'd notice a difference going from 21.5 to 27?

I've been able to keep my simracing budget under my wife's radar to this point...if I overspend, I will incur additional scrutiny! smile

Oqvist   
Holy smokes, some of you have gone all out!

Yes, it's working...feeling a little inferiority complex coming on over my 21.5". smile

I think I'm going to look into a (reasonable) upgrade, just gotta think about how much I want to spend and weigh that against the improvement in immersion. Do you think I'd notice a difference going from 21.5 to 27?

I've been able to keep my simracing budget under my wife's radar to this point...if I overspend, I will incur additional scrutiny! smile

lol well you could get the occulus rift that you can hide in the closet easy.

nhill40   

Ha, physically hiding the gear is generally not the problem (she's not all that observant when it comes to my "nerd corner" of the basement).

Obfuscating the credit card line items...now that's the challenge!

Piotr   
3x27" @ 1920x1080

same here

I would say that going triple screen last year was the single biggest immersion improvement for me since I moved from keyboard to steering wheel 17 years ago ahoy

LeemzHQ   

I just recently upgraded from a single 32" to triple 27".

I wish there was better support across all sims for triples (AC seems to support it the best) but it's a worthwhile upgrade if you have the funds. Better situational awareness and I can see the apex of the corners better.

Edit:

On a side note, I also just upgraded my video card yesterday, from an nVidia GTX 770 to an EVGA GTX 970. I was a little worried it wouldn't be enough of an upgrade to make the cost ($360) worthwhile. However, I've seen a huge performance increase. The 3DMark scores for those cards show the 970 being about 40-50% faster but I'm actually seeing framerate increases that are between 200-300% in rF2 and 50-100% in AC. Needless to say, I am very pleased.

I don't know how to check the framerates in R3E (tried Ctrl F, didn't work) but that sim seems much smoother as well.

I felt the upgrade was necessary with the impending release of PCars. That one looks like it'll be rather demanding.

nhill40   

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. Have I ever mentioned I love SimHQ? This has seriously got to be one of the friendliest, least pretentious online communities I have ever been a part of.

What about using an HDTV instead of a monitor? I occasionally hook my machine up to one of our TVs just for kicks & giggles, but I've never thought of doing it full time.

Oqvist   
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. Have I ever mentioned I love SimHQ? This has seriously got to be one of the friendliest, least pretentious online communities I have ever been a part of.

What about using an HDTV instead of a monitor? I occasionally hook my machine up to one of our TVs just for kicks & giggles, but I've never thought of doing it full time.

I like it very much. Watch out for input lag though. (delay between your input and when you see it on screen). It´s not related to pixel response time.

Piotr   
Watch out for input lag though. (delay between your input and when you see it on screen). It´s not related to pixel response time.

Ann usually producers do not give information on that. You have to google form some test results.

I admit I have a little paranoia with input lag dizzysmile (since my dissapointment with MadStudios Need for Speed). It took me few months untill I determined what monitors I am investing in...

At the end I went for this model:

http://www.displaylag.com/benq-xl2720z-review-144hz-gaming-monitor/

BTW, here is the great ranking by different parameters of monitors (and HDTVs) from the same testers

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

Running one AOC 29 inch 21:9 2560*1080 for racing

One old 19 inch hp 1280*1024 for stuff.

I agree with Linebacker, the new LG's UltraWide Gaming Monitor (34UM67) 34 inch 21:9 gaming monitor would be the choice until I can get my hands on a Rift.

VR and racing is a match made in heaven.

nhill40   

Thanks again for everyone's feedback. I've been price watching and I think I'm going to spring for a 27" when one pops up at a good price.

Tarnsman   

Currently a single 24" @1920x1200.

I am trying to decide between 2 additional 24" monitors for 5760x1200 triple screen; or the LG 3440x1440 ultra wide.

I have a GTX 970 and I think it could run the ultrawide, but for 5760x1200 I'm pretty sure I'd need to get another card for SLI. I cant go back to sub 60fps performance.

I am really torn on which way to go.

Oqvist   

I think a GTX 970 can do it if you turn down some image quality though a 980 would been better.

As for SLi it won´t help for rFactor 2 and my experience is that it adds input lag or introduce stutter or a bit of both frown.

But the biggest problem is perhaps the need for good profiles it may be useless for some sims and work well for others.

What is the input lag of that LG?

Tarnsman   

Dont know the lag on the LG. In fact Ive seen few reviews of it usung games that I play, AC, DCS, Arma3 etc. I wish SimHQ would do review of it.

Also, I just got the GTX 970 a few months ago, but I cant return it anymore.

LeemzHQ   

I'm running 3x 27" monitors with a single GTX 970 and getting frame rates in AC between 90-110. With about a dozen or more cars on the track.