Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LeemzHQ

I'm a triple screen newb. Need help.

14 posts in this topic

Just got triple screens. Running on a single GTX770.

I have everything configured properly as near as I can tell but the image looks stretched, especially the side screens. The resolution appears to be correct.

I've seen some videos of triple screens and some see to show stretching while others don't. So what settings might i be missing or is it somehow a limitation of my hardware.

So far the experience is a disappointment. I still need to buy mounting brackets and may need to upgrade my vid card for AC and PCars. But I don't want to spend another penny until this stretching issue is sorted out.

So far I've been using rF1, rF2, GSCE and R3E.

Any advice??

You need to use "multiview" on all but R3E that unfortunatly does not support it, at least yet.

Open the setup.exe where you set the resolution and tick the multiview box. Be aware that it drops the fps somewhat.

Then you need to adjust the FOV to what matches you screens and personal preferences.

AC has a very good setup for triple screen, but pCars is like R3E without support for multiview.

That does not mean that it cannot look quite good anyhow.

In many cases, changing the FoV and adjusting seat position can make it acceptable.

Yea I thought AC had the best 3 screen support/app. But it still seems to stretch the screen.

By the time I'm done buying the monitors, brackets and maybe a new vid card I'll be about $850 into the 3 screen investment. I'm really hoping for a lot more than "acceptable".

Maybe I'd be better off with a single, larger Super Hi Def monitor?

Did you set the AC rendering mode to Triple Screen Rendering? It should work perfectly.

Have a read under the display settings here:

http://simhqmotorsports.com/assetto-corsa-hints-tips-part-1/

The stretching you refer to is the fisheye effect which happens when you broadcast a first person FOV into wide aspect. Some sims have proper compensation for it (multiview in rFactor, Triple Screen Rendering in AC). No 'global' fix, just one of the things that happens with triple screen gaming. You can reduce it by reducing FOV (which you want to do anyway on triples) but you'll also be surprised how much you'll get used to it. Once the novelty value wares of you'll mostly concentrate on the center screen with the side ones used for peripheral vision so you hardly ever 'look' at them in the true sense.

Yeah, I've tried multiview in rF2 and it becomes a slideshow (i.e. less than 20fps).

Assetto Corsa and iRacing seem to support triples the best (even GSCE looks pretty good). But my framerate in AC drops from about 80+ down to a shakey 30+. But, the older titles like Race07, GTR2, GTLegends, etc. all have a severe graphical glitch that makes them unplayable. There is a black band, the width of the center screen and about 3 inches high that scrolls from bottom to top every 10 seconds or so. Somehow, i have a feeling it's tied to my screen saver, gotta try turning it off.

By the way, my nvidia drivers are up to date.

Also, i was hoping to be able to run Battlefield 4 in triple screens too and it crashes when i try to go into the game. So, that's a huge issue too.

But, like i said, overall, a very disappointing experience. I'm wondering if one large screen might be better (40-46"). I was running a single 32" and everything ran great on it. I just always felt i was missing something by not having the triples but the distortion i'm getting is offsetting any benefit. I find that it's actually messing with my depth perception and i find myself braking late on nearly every turn (though, oddly, i did turn my best ever lap at Motegi with the Ruf Track with the triple screens, so go figure).

Perhaps some of you triple screen guys could post your settings in iRacing and AC?

Here's mine for iRacing:

full-2738-50611-trips_iracing.jpg

AC Settings:

full-2738-50613-trips_ac.jpg

I'm not too worried about AC, it really seems to work pretty good with that. But, the others are a bit of a concern.

here are my iRacing settings.

Running 3x27"

My FoV goes between 135-145 degrees depending on what car I drive.

full-6162-50612-iracing_setup.jpg

Are you really sitting 2131mm from the screens? That's nearly 7ft. I'm only sitting about 2.5 feet from mine.

So, you're combining the width of your 3 screens together. I tried that originally. Can't remember if I had the "render each screen separately" button ticked or not at first.

I'd like to post my AC settings but now, all of a sudden, AC won't load. It gets stuck at the "Populating Favorites" screen during loading. Was working fine yesterday. Only changes I made was installing a few skins. Deleted them, didn't help. Awesome.

Yeah, I've tried multiview in rF2 and it becomes a slideshow (i.e. less than 20fps).

Yup I have the side screens at 45*.

I played a bit more with the bezel correction and things are improving.

My hunch about the desktop background causing problems with the older titles proved correct. So that problem is fixed. I don't often play those older titles but I do like to turn a few laps with them now and then.

I'm surprised at the huge frame rate hit in rF2 with multi view. It has the poorest graphics of the current gen sims so I was expecting it to be smoother.

AC and R3E both look really good.

Oh well, time to start saving to upgrade my vid card. Probably will need it for PCars anyway.

I have my bezel correction set in the nvidia surround settings (to about 115).

Question: Should I be using the regular 5760 or the adjusted 5990 resolution. It seems the 5760 sounds right, letting the bezels essentially "block" whatever graphics are hiding behind them. Is this correct?

Also, should I be using one of the Sync modes in rF2 (i.e. Software, GPU, Video)? Currently I have it set to "None".

I have my bezel correction set in the nvidia surround settings (to about 115).

Question: Should I be using the regular 5760 or the adjusted 5990 resolution. It seems the 5760 sounds right, letting the bezels essentially "block" whatever graphics are hiding behind them. Is this correct?

5760 is your standard triple rez. without BC. 5990 is your bezel corrected rez. Bezel correction effectively works by rendering what is beyond your bezel (even though you can't see it), so if you tell it to correct by 115 it adds another 115 pixels (per monitor) to your horizontal resolution.

The sync modes are just different forms of vsync. They will lock your frame rate to 60fps and can make for smoother gameplay. Mileage will vary depending on your system and current performance so just try them out and see if they help. .

Thanks Darren. I'll play around with the sync modes and see if any of them improve performance.