Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MCUSA

Triple Monitors - Am I Getting The Right Combo?

24 posts in this topic

Hey Guys! I'm almost ready to get triples but wanted to get a second opinion before I fork over my hard-earned work money on this solution:

Monitors: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009513 - these were the best I could find on a budget, does anyone have any cheaper recommendations that are as big if not bigger?

Adapter: http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Compliant-Multi-Stream-Displayport-200-DP-1301-L1/dp/B00HK8V5KE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416702729&sr=8-1&keywords=displayport+mst+hub - I have a Displayport 1.2 adapter - does 1.2 vs. 1.2a make a difference?

Last but not least, I plan on using the Obutto Ozone Triple Monitor Stand from Main Performance PC unless anyone can recommend an adjustable triple monitor stand for less than $155 shipped?

Here's my computer's specs - the only big difference is that I have an older graphics card (780M 4 GB) than what is listed on the newer model:

http://www.lpc-digital.com/sager-np8278-features-special.html

Any recommendations/suggestions/etc. would be greatly appreciated!

I am wondering how you will conect your monitors to your multi stream adapter? Extra passive adapters from the multi stream adapter to the monitors by D-Sub,DVI or HDMI?

And the next thing i am wondering is if you really need that multi stream adapter in the first place.

From the specs you have 3 display output: 1 HDMI, 1 DisplayPort 1.2, 1 Mini DisplayPort 1.2. You can hook the monitors 1 with HDMI and the other 2 with DisplayPort active adapters to D-Sub,DVI,HDMI(whatever you choose. For 3 monitors only one must be an active adapter depends of you GPU).

I have my triples hook like that. Mine is a desktop PC. I don't know if in the laptops is different TBH, but the ports are ports right?

If i am right you only need the monitors and 1 active display port to DVI adapter and you are good to go. I don't know if you must buy this multi stream adapter AND extra 3 displayports adapters for your 3 monitors.

The only thing is if Desktop and Laptops are different in these details.

More opinions will clear that out.

HOLY CRAP YOU'RE RIGHT!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-Thunderbolt-Compatible/dp/B00APLJ58M/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1416769699&sr=1-2&keywords=mini+displayport+to+hdmi

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-DisplayPort/dp/B004C9P9TM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1416769527&sr=1-1&keywords=amazon+displayport+to+hdmi

Already got the HDMI cable too..

Thanks George - awesome idea that probably just saved me over $100 smile

Any reason why this wouldn't work? Also, is there any required program in Windows 7 64-bit to get triple screens to work properly?

Windows 7 has built-in functionality for multiple monitors. The offerings from NVIDIA and AMD extend the capability, but are not mandatory to even use them. I'm running multiple monitors on my laptop with only the certified driver from Windows Update.

Control Panel > Display > Screen Resolution

Marc, do you use your optical drive very much? If not, consider getting an SSD to go in that bay instead, and use the optical as an external drive. eSATA (IMO) isn't all that great.

Marc, do you use your optical drive very much? If not, consider getting an SSD to go in that bay instead, and use the optical as an external drive. eSATA (IMO) isn't all that great.

What's wrong with eSATA? I heard that it can be just as fast as a laptop 2.5 inch hard drive.

Windows 7 has built-in functionality for multiple monitors. The offerings from NVIDIA and AMD extend the capability, but are not mandatory to even use them. I'm running multiple monitors on my laptop with only the certified driver from Windows Update.

Control Panel > Display > Screen Resolution

Do you race in triple monitors?

Windows have these settings for extend the desktop to other monitors and have TS for example, Chrome in another etc.

But to race on 3 monitors and choose the resolution of triple screen in the sim using only the windows function i don't know how you do it Doug.

For 3 monitors one must be an active adapter depends of you GPU.

Before you buy anything check that for your GPU. If your GPU needs at least one active DisplayPort adapter, you have to have one in order to display the 3rd monitor.

DONT BUY ANYTHING BEFORE YOU SEARCH FOR YOUR GPU SPECS.

For 3 monitors one must be an active adapter depends of you GPU.

Before you buy anything check that for your GPU. If your GPU needs at least one active DisplayPort adapter, you have to have one in order to display the 3rd monitor.

DONT BUY ANYTHING BEFORE YOU SEARCH FOR YOUR GPU SPECS.

What do you mean by active? Here's the GPU that I have: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gtx-780m/description

MCUSA, I just saw these 27" BenQ monitors at NewEgg. The specs look good and it has the same connectors as your picks in the first post.....but are $27 cheaper.

Here is a post about differences between Active and Passive DP Adapters: (Poster named foothead on the overclock(dot)net forum)

Quote:
There seems to be a ton of confusion around here about 1) what is required for eyefinity, 2) what an active adapter is, and 3) the difference between active and passive adapters. I am making this thread, hopefully to clear that confusion.

1) Eyefinity requires an ACTIVE adapter to enable a third monitor on HD 5000 cards. Passive will NOT work, except for the first two monitors on the eyefinity 5 and eyefinity 6 cards. For the other three/four monitors, active is still required. A quick explanation of why is because DVI/HDMI requires a special clock, which the card is only able to provide two of. Displayport does not use this clock, so ATI used it as a workaround.

2) An active adapter converts a true displayport signal into DVI/HDMI/VGA/whatever else. It will have either a converter chip or a DAC built in to do said conversion. Contrary to popular belief, they do not need to have a usb power connection, in fact there are many that do not.

3) This is the big one I have been seeing a lot lately. The difference between active and passive is simple.

Passive adapters are merely a cable to go from displayport to DVI/HDMI/VGA/w.e. The video card detects the monitor as such, and outputs the required signal (DVI/HDMI/VGA). This does require one of the two aformentioned clocks, hence why they do not work with eyefinity cards.

Active adapters, on the other hand recieve a displayport signal from the video card, and convert it to DVI/HDMI/VGA. They will always have some sort of onboard DAC or video converter chip which they use to convert the dp signal. Lately, most everyone has been referring the DAC ones (which are the converters that go DP->VGA) as 'passive.' This is not the case.

As an update after talking to NVIDIA's online chat support, I found out that the 780M can only run 2 screens at a time without using the laptop screen (and can't use NVIDIA Surround) so I'm going to have to use the EVGA Hub as posted earlier along with those DisplayPort to HDMI or DVI adapter cords. Thanks MudPuppy for the monitor suggestion!

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=200-DP-1301-L1

I've been doing research on this product. If you're looking to use this for Nvidia Surround, it will NOT work.

http://www.evga.com/articles/00815/#FAQ

Q: Can I enable NVIDIA Surround via the DP Hub?

A: Unfortunately, NVIDIA Surround does not support the use of a DP Hub at this time.

There FAQ makes no mention of AMD Eyefinity, though reviews on Newegg.com state they are successfully using it with this hub. However, they are not specifically stating surround/eyefinity GAMING with this hub. If they are solely talking desktop Eyefinity then it's just for multi-monitor use for desktop programs like CAD, etc.

Unless you're only using that hub to see 3 seperate displays, this isn't going to work. I'm assuming you want to use 2D Surround for racing sims or gaming in general. Your only options are:

1) If you use the laptop, a Matrox TripleHead2Go system. ***WARNING*** At 3x5760x1080 you MUST have monitors that will do native @50Hz. Anything higher and it will not work. Even if the monitor will scale down it will not work. I made this mistake myself early on.

2) Otherwise, your only option is a PC and a card(s) that supports such a configuration.

Thanks Chris for the later suggestion of a bigger monitor, if anyone else wants something like this, here's a link winkngrin

http://www.walmart.com/ip/39254945

Considering the biggest I've had is a hair over 20 inches, well.... spartasign

That's a TV, not a MONITOR, as I suggested.

A TV for gaming is going to limit you to small number of expensive options. You need a TV that can have the video processor completely bypassed (game mode) and get true 60Hz or 120Hz refresh, otherwise you'll introduce massive lag into your gaming. There's only about 6 TV's in the WORLD amongst only 2 brands (Panasonic and Samsung) that have that capability and they're still in the 15ms and up range.

As stated, you need a MONITOR, as large as you can get.

25-27"

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLis...&IsNodeId=1

29"+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLis...1920%20x%201080

If you go large format monitors, then you'll get higher ms timing and a much higher price tag. Think $1000+ range.

Lots of TV's have game mode, not all have a game mode that bypasses the pre and post processors.

Haven't looked at TV reviews for gaming for a few months. Seems there are some newer UltraHD models that have improved things quite a bit, but still looking at the $2000+ range.

FYI...I goofed, it's Sony and Samsung, not Panasonic and Samsung, for low ms and input lag TVs. Have Panasonic on the brain after Uncle and I talked all day yesterday about them.

Bottom line, if you hook up your new TV and it works for you, that's a killer deal. Let me know!

I use a single 29" AOC UW 21:9 (LG panel but other electronics), works fine.

It's as high as a 23" and about 6.5 inches wider. Not as good as a triple solution but almost as easy on the GPU as a 1080P panel.

I use a single 29" AOC UW 21:9 (LG panel but other electronics), works fine.

It's as high as a 23" and about 6.5 inches wider. Not as good as a triple solution but almost as easy on the GPU as a 1080P panel.

+1

I run a 29" 21:9 ultrawide (ASUS PB298Q) but I highly recommend a minimum of 32" in this format. The 21:9's give you a 30% increase in FOV but as SirMoon mentioned, a 29" ultrawide is vertically equivalent to a regular 23" monitor.

(the base of the ASUS is the best I've ever seen though ... you can easily raise and lower the monitor from 2" to about 9" high with one finger)

3 monitors ??????

You only have 2 eyes.... mycomputer

Lol Jon, I ultimately decided just to get a single 40 inch TV so that part is covered for the time being. thumbsup