Sign in to follow this  
Doug Atkinson

Asus ROG Mars 760 GPU

zim2323   

Sounds great, less filling...

"This powers both GTX 760 cores that run at up to 1,072MHz and the 4GB (2GB per GPU) GDDR5 memory running at 6GHz (effective)."

This means that you only get 2GB max, EVER, running this card. In SLI, you don't combine/share the memory, the memory on the 2nd card is effectively duplicated. This is a problem in modern games/sims because texture memory is worth more then GPU speed right now.

Here's the problem. It's a good setup for a SINGLE monitor user running no more then 2-4x AA and AF. After that, today's games start hitting texture memory limits, same as we're seeing in rFactor 2. And for whatever they gain in speed, which looks to be incredible, you ultimately lose because you can barely run HD at full grahics, let alone Ultra HD.

Secondary issue is the SLI problems associated. Having ran both SLI and TRI-SLI setups, I can tell you that it's not at all good to use in the current sim racing world. No sim I've run to date benefits. It actually hurts performance. I also had same issues in other games.

Switching from a TRI-SLI GTX 680 setup to a single Titan, I gained 50% FPS increase and can run in triple monitor vs single monitor in rF2 with those gains. Single monitor I gain almost 200%.

My advice, ignore the benchmarks and speed quotas and solely look at RAM on card. The more the better. Titan =6gb of RAM/texture memory while this setup is only 2gb in any usable gaming configuration.

zim2323   

Something else to remember, the 760 series, even the 780's, do have a faster core clock then the Titan, but the Titan still can be unlocked safely to do those same core GPU speeds and obliterates the 760/780 series cards because of the 6gb of texture memory (DDR5/RAM). That texture memory makes a huge difference at a certain graphics setting on up.

Ultimately, when you introduce SLI in the mix you might as well just get a single 780 GPU with more RAM (3gb?) and you're actually faster then that card.

2D surround is also not usable on newer games (BF3/BF4, ArmA 3, rFactor 2) without at LEAST 3gb of RAM on video card, 4-6gb preferred.