Sign in to follow this  
jenrick

Video card for triple monitor support?

jenrick   

I've gotten approval from SWMBO on spending the money on a dedicated pit. One of the things I've always wanted was a triple screen setup. Does anyone have a suggestion regarding what card to use to push them? I'd like to do a bit of future proofing so higher end cards aren't a bad thing.

Thanks in advance,

-Jenrick

What size screen/resolution you intending to run? As the resolution goes up into triple territory VRAM becomes important and you'll be into xfire/SLI. For anywhere around 1080p look at the AMD 7990, Nvidia 690, 2 x 680's in SLI (4gb version).If you intend to go triple 1440p or higher your looking at SLI'd 780's or Nvidia Titans for good frame rates at high detail.

zim2323   

You could always buy my last GTX 680! =)

I ran 5760x1080 4x AA/AF on a single GTX680.

Honestly, the 2gb cards are plenty "right now" for triple screen. Even with the biggest track I've only seen around 1gb of VRAM used. Ultimately AntiAliasing and Antistropic Filtering are the settings that really kill VRAM usage. Anything over 2x/4x AA/AF is going to kill your frames. And there really is no video card currently on the market that will net you good FPS with anything over 2x or 4x AA/AF.

Until I just recently got my Titan, I was running triple monitor on a single card, and before, tried dual and tri-SLI. You do NOT want to run anything SLI/muliGPU for rFactor2. Single card is 60fps+, while any SLI configuration was a solid 26fps. Not even remotely playable.

Whatever you get I wouldn't do SLI. rFactor1/gMotor simulations also see no gain, as both dual and triple SLI negative scale.

zim2323   

My Triple Monitor results shown below...

Motherboard=Rampage IV Extreme

RAM=64gb Corsair Extreme

CPU=i7 3930K 6core

OS HD=OCZ Vertex 4 128gb SSD

Game HD=OCZ Vertex 4 128gb SSD

Nvidia GTX TITAN (replaced Nvidia GTX 680)

3 ASUS 27" 2ms monitors

MultiView=ON

HDR=ON

FXAA=ON

VSYNC=OFF

AA(gameconfig)=OFF

AA/AF (ingame)=lowest

AA/AF (Nvidia config)=4x for both

Nvidia Inspector used to set and test several suggested SLI settings for each, none results any improvement.

---------------------------

GTX 680 rF1 (5760x1080)

Single GPU=240fps

Dual GPU=160fps

Triple GPU=90fps

GTX 680 rF2 (5760x1080)

Single GPU=60-70fps

Dual GPU=26fps

Triple GPU=26fps

---------------------------

GTX TITAN rF1 (5760x1080)

Single GPU=280fps

GTX TITAN rF2 (5760x1080)

Single GPU=80-100fps (Sebring was the worst of all tested with frames at 65fps both day and night regardless of how many human/AI cars)

Interesting, i've always had pretty decent scaling in rF1 and rF2. I wouldn't say 2GB is plenty, but it'll be OK for current gen racing sims depending on the intended resolution, AA etc.

Also depends what else you play. I've seen Tomb Raider use almost 5GB. jawdrop

zim2323   

I'm strictly speaking rFactor. And I've never seen positive scaling with MultiView triple screen SLI. Single monitor yes. Triple not a chance.

jenrick   

Thanks for the numbers. Primarily driving iRacing, and rF1. I'd like to be able to run 1080p, but I'm not wedded to the idea. I've been at 1280x1024 on 19" monitor for a very long time, so anything is going to be an improvement.

Any thoughts on the GTX 760 2GB?

-Jenrick

The 760 is a good card for the cash. For a single screen i wouldn't hesitate. It will just about push triple 1080p for the sims you mentioned, but you might have to dial back some of the eye candy here and there.

I have no issues with my Rig (in sig) across 3 screens sometimes 4.

iRacing, F1, rFactor, everything runs smooth, cept RaceRoom, still has some quirks.

Powercolor 3GB HD7950 PCS+ @ 5760x1080 (OS SSD, Gaming HDD, 16GB RAM, Phenom II X6-1100T CPU) - no issues under rFactor 2 nor rFactor 1, GSC2012 and Euro Truck Simulator 2. I am highly satisfied with the rig.

Appart from ETS2 I do not race with the highest graphical setting, apart from AA and AF - but that's deliberate and most of the time I settle for trilinear filtering in rF1. Mind you this specific card is overclocked by factory to 7970 specs (apart from the RAM frequency).

I agree with Chris - as long as there is no definite solution to avoid any micro-stuttering I'd opt for a non-SLI solution by purchasing a single card.

nhill40   

This thread is a few years old now, but bumping to re-ask - I'm considering taking the three monitor plunge since I'm probably getting close to replacing my trusty GTX570 anyways.  Has anyone gotten a card (or cards) for a 3 monitor setup lately and gotten good results?  From what I gather, many/most of the newer high end cards will do 3 monitors, but some people are still going for SLI setups.

I guess I might try to avoid SLI just because I never know when the flight sim bug will bite again and I had spotty results with those when I had an SLI config a while back.

In a single card, don't go less than a GeForce 980. If two cards (SLI) then not less than dual GeForce 970s. But agreed, SLI is a PITA (IMO). The SLI fans will be along in a bit to disagree. :)

Can't speak to the AMD/ATI side. Out of touch with the offerings right now.

nhill40   
On 3/26/2016 at 8:40 PM, Doug Atkinson said:

In a single card, don't go less than a GeForce 980. If two cards (SLI) then not less than dual GeForce 970s. But agreed, SLI is a PITA (IMO). The SLI fans will be along in a bit to disagree. :)

Can't speak to the AMD/ATI side. Out of touch with the offerings right now.

Thanks for the feedback, Doug.  Youch, I just priced everything out - between the triple mount from Obutto and the extra gear from my local Microcenter, I'm dangerously close to the $1000 mark.  This might be something to try to do in phases to keep under my wife's financial radar! :)

What res monitors are you looking at Nick?  SLI/xfire can be a pain but thnkfully isn't the necessity it used to be for triples. A top end single card will push triple 1080's in most situations.

nhill40   

Thanks Darren - I would be running three 1920 x 1080 monitors.

That's good to know a single card would probably do it (assuming I don't go cheap), but I just got hit with a big bill for some semi-major sewer repairs today...suffice it to say the sim rig budget just went to zero!!!  :sigh:

nhill40   

I took the plunge last weekend and went for it.

This was on a bit of a budget (meaning I had a cost figure in mind that wouldn't end up with me being involved in a headline reading along the lines of "Local man forcibly fed credit card bill by wife; chokes to death; ruled justifiable homicide"), but I was able to come away with:

GTX 970

2 new Acer 27" monitors

Triple monitor mount for my Ozone

Even watching the prices, this got expensive, fast!  The GTX 970 was probably the biggest risk, as the 980 is sort of "the" card right now (though the 10xx series is probably on shelves any day now), but I've done some basic performance smoke tests and the 970 is doing the job for me fine so far.

The monitors are not fancy at all, but they do have the narrow frame on the sides, which should allow me to get a really nice panoramic effect going.

Monitor stand should show up later today - looking forward to getting everything set up (and in the meantime playing every sim I own on a single monitor with every setting cranked!)

Oqvist   

There is a really nasty bug with the 980 and some lemans track so if you do rFactor 2 that was a nice move.

X1070/X1080 is looking really strong but I bet also the X1070 will be quite a bit more expensive then the 970 seeing what they charge for the X1080 that was released today.