Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShadowRecon

Picture of your racing setup?

170 posts in this topic

I would like to see other people's setup. Mine is pretty ghetto lol. Backpack as racing seat harness. Flight stick as sequential shifter. Steering wheel made for ps3. Pedals with cardboard on them because they are too close together. full-31741-36275-img_01531.jpg

I went from this...

WeasySim3.jpg

WeasySim.jpg

To this...

full-299-45945-full_912_36283_picture_01

full-299-45946-full_912_36280_obutto21.j

full-299-45947-full_912_36282_obutto1.jp

full-299-45948-full_912_36281_obutto11.j

smile

After I clean the box office this weekend, I'll take some photos of my setup. I've been wanting to for some time, just need to rearrange some stuff.

Holy cow, I love it. I'm planning to get a playseat soon. Do you know of any with a harness. It makes it feel more like I'm in a real car. And what wheel and pedals are you using?

Have updated a good bit since these pictures, but the racing set up is about the same.

Looked all over for the chair, it reclines like a car seat as well as tilt and height. Helps being in the proper position.

IMG_0186-1.jpg

Added a slide out shelf over the keyboard pull out on 100 lb sliders to eliminate shaking/vibrating, now also drilled out for hard mounting.

IMG_0190-1.jpg

Pedals are mounted to the shelf added under here. I leave it there all the time, never in the way for normal desk use.

IMG_0180-1.jpg

Here's mine. I'm using the SRWheel as a dashboard. Guess I'm the only one racing on a laptop at SimHQ ! biggrin

full-299-45950-full_28040_36292_photo066

Latest iteration.

full-299-45949-full_299_36298_cockpit1.j

No, the room isn't that clean -- I 'shopped out the plastic bins to the left.

The plan was to paint it. But I haven't had time to do that yet.

full-299-45951-full_18967_36299_cockpit_

How many years have you been saying that! hahaha

Soon-to-be race room. Once I get the carpet in, I plan to get to work on some sort of cockpit. Will be a while though....

full-23093-36308-dsc_0091.jpg

full-23093-36309-dsc_0089.jpg

full-23093-36310-dsc_0088.jpg

full-18967-36299-cockpit_s006.jpg

Amazing. How long did it take you to build that?

Holy cow, I love it. I'm planning to get a playseat soon. Do you know of any with a harness. It makes it feel more like I'm in a real car. And what wheel and pedals are you using?

Your backpack may still work on this for a harness...I don't know of any actual harnesses though. The Obutto seat has openings in it for a harness as it is an actual race seat (adjustable/reclining). For endurance races though, there are times I have to take a bio break while in the pits so I wouldn't want to unbuckle a harness. wink

My wheel/pedals aren't in production anymore. Mine are the old Logitech Momo FFB. I only have a gas and brake pedal and have to use paddle shifters with auto-clutch. You'd be better off with the G-25/G-27, or whatever the latest is with a gated shifter and clutch. My next purchase may be a new wheel/pedals.

Here's my 'office' smile

full-19230-36295-20120620_174537.jpg

Where the heck did you get this? A Sparco seat? Very cool office Darren!

Originally Posted By: ShadowRecon

Your backpack may still work on this for a harness...I don't know of any actual harnesses though. The Obutto seat has openings in it for a harness as it is an actual race seat (adjustable/reclining). For endurance races though, there are times I have to take a bio break while in the pits so I wouldn't want to unbuckle a harness. wink

My wheel/pedals aren't in production anymore. Mine are the old Logitech Momo FFB. I only have a gas and brake pedal and have to use paddle shifters with auto-clutch. You'd be better off with the G-25/G-27, or whatever the latest is with a gated shifter and clutch. My next purchase may be a new wheel/pedals.

Yeah I would get those. I just have to save up for it. I hate the prices of steering wheels :/

I don't really having a racing "setup" but here's my friend's setup:

My corner.

Nothing special to see, cheap solutions here and there, but still... I like it, its somewhat cosy smile

full-12746-36374-img00527_20120621_1705.

Im guessing you use your pedals as rudder controls for your flight stick?

Originally Posted By: Rob_Bakker

How many years have you been saying that! hahaha

Tried, but its not the same. I mean, with a proper rudder you cannot push both pedals at the same time.

I use the twist of the sidewinder.

Tried, but its not the same. I mean, with a proper rudder you cannot push both pedals at the same time.

But isn't that a saitek throttle control? Didn't know you could use both.

Here's my humble little rig..

Gameracer pro with seat replaced by Ford Fiesta seat, triple 22" monitors and Fanatec GT2 and CSP's. I love it but it takes up tooooo much room.

full-3195-36554-img_20120624_021329.jpg

Originally Posted By: Staniol

But isn't that a saitek throttle control? Didn't know you could use both.

No issues at all with this combo, its working fine (the only thing I miss is the saitek mode switch).

Originally Posted By: Darren_Blythe
Here's my 'office' smile

full-19230-36295-20120620_174537.jpg

Where the heck did you get this? A Sparco seat? Very cool office Darren!

Sorry Weasy, only just spotted this.

When i decided i needed a 'proper' racing setup many years ago my other half wouldn't allow me space for a dedicated rig like an Obutto. Thinking it was just going to be one of my fads She only conceded on the basis that whatever i did could would work around our existing furniture and be converted back to it's original function if required. Working within those confines i tried to design something that would feel like i was driving a car but still fit around the existing PC table. The base is home made and constructed from MDF, plastic and metal then sprayed black and covered with fake tread plate. The seat plinth is from an old playseat that was reinforced, modified and drilled out to accommodate standard seat runners. This means the rig will accommodate most standard car seats. The one i have fitted is a cheap Bride copy but it's slides, reclines and is extremely comfortable for long periods (not to mention about £700 cheaper than the real thing hahaha ) The pedal plate is adjustable for height and angle. Then it's just a few stickers and a Sparco 3 point harnesses for a bit of bling.

It's had a few refinements over the years but i'm extremely happy with it. Having the desk space is great for cans and burger boxes to give it that 'just like my real car' feel biggrin

Hardware wise it's a single Dell 30" monitor which pretty much fills my FOV so i've never felt much need for a triple (not that i have the space anyway). Clubsport wheel/pedals, Frex Shifter, TrackIR and a collection of Symprojects hardware for the gauges. Also a home made keyboard tray which was one of the most useful things i ever made. Just a square of black grill folded into a triangle. I also half half a button box which i need to finish someday....

Best of all there are no permanent fixtures and can be moved away in just a few mins if needed. Not that has ever happened since the day it was built! wink

Cool, you have a fan below you to simulate the wind rushing past while driving! wink

Cool, you have a fan below you to simulate the wind rushing past while driving! wink

Lol. Not exactly the reason that is there but it works for that too. I believe my office is 10° hotter than the rest of the house. So any little bit of air movement is welcomed.

I hear you! I have a ceiling fan, and a box fan off to my side that blows air on me and my computer. If it gets too hot I have a window AC that I'll kick on too.

My first computer build and a little re-arranging of the race room...

full-299-45667-full_23093_45664_build1.j

full-23093-45665-build3.jpg

full-23093-45666-build2.jpg

Thanks to guod for spec'ing this thing and for all of the advice and tips! It was fun building this box. Hopefully I can add a triple screen setup soon. Then maybe a proper cockpit.

The specs:

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz processor

ASUS Maximus V Gene Micro ATX motherboard

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600

EVGA GeForce GTX 680 - 4GB

ASUS 24X DVD Burner

CORSAIR HX Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W

Corsair Carbide Series 500R Graphite case

XIGMATEK 120mm White LED Case Fans (4 x $9.99)

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2BAA 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Western Digital Caviar Black WD5003AZEX 500GB HDD

COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 CPU Cooler

Looks like a great build Lowell, nicely spec'ed guod thumbsup