Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

BMW M3 Challenge Released

19 posts in this topic

Meh, typical SimBin/Blimey/ISI fare, so folk here at SimHQ will probably like it well enough. I'm disappointed, frankly. I expected Blimey's first outing as an independent outfit to be much better than this tired same-old, same-old reheat.

It's a freebie with the support of a major manufacturer! Imagine if Boeing let an Apache simulator out in to the market that was free...

I love all things to do with cars, the racing, the sims, the politics, the marketing, the history...to see BMW joining up with Blimey is a major new development, and will be worth the download just from a study point of view. I haven't finished the download yet, so can't comment on the content, and one track and a few colour schemes is disappointing, but maybe there will be more releases later, if this is considered a success?

My son had a go in the Honda F1 simulator at Goodwood this summer. I asked the kids running it for Honda what track it was based on, as I couldn't place it. He said it was one they made up, sort of taking corner styles from a few tracks and linking them together. He told me the sim itself they had also made up, got me thinking how many car makers have sims of their own, and how they would stack up against the commercially available ones we all know and love.

Me like! Puts a smile on my face when you control the slides out of the corners. 99bottles

2:15.432 at Nürburgring GP so far. All Electronic aids off and using 19" wheels and the Bilstein suspension.

Edit: I have my G25 wheel set at 270 degrees and use 14.0 as Steering Lock within the game. Also, you can't change/tweak the setup of the car so each time you go out for practice you have a full tank of gas \:D I set my PB lap with 3/4 of a full tank.

It is pretty good isn't it? I am not too keen on the engine sounds, but maybe need to look at my audio setup.

One thing, if it is based on GT Legends, how come it has GTR2's time trial, complete with ghost car and racing line?!

Not too bad for a freebie \:D

Anyone figured out how to add more tracks?

With a time of 2:15:432 SirViper, you must be thinking of the Nurburgring (Südschleife) included in the download. Nordschelife is the "Green Hell", and I doubt it possible to drive around that circuit in a time as low as 2 min 15 \:\)

Whether it is based on GTL or GTR2 I think is perhaps just a toss of words. All those games are based on the same ISI engine but you're right, it looks and feels more like GTR2 than GTL, in menus and structure.

I've seen threads about adding tracks at RSC I think, but looks quite complicated to me. Changing file names and endings etc, and then something about replacing the original tracks when you finish so it fires up next time.

If it is GTR2, I was wondering if we could add the Time Trial from GTR2 into GT Legends...

Quote:
If it is GTR2, I was wondering if we could add the Time Trial from GTR2 into GT Legends...

Or, just use the P&G mod for GTR2.

According to the Blimey! Games website, M3 Challenge is based on the GT Legends game engine.

The car and track have now been ported to GTR2 and I much prefer the way the car handles in GTR2 even with the default setup. As an added bonus, the setup can be tweaked in GTR2 to improve handling further. The car felt like a pregnant hippo to me in M3 Challenge but the same car in GTR2 with slightly increased front and rear ARB stiffness starts to come alive.

Quote:

Or, just use the P&G mod for GTR2.

Yeah, but P&G is still a while away...and I do still like GT Legends...

and I do still like GT Legends...

Same here Davey, especially the Daytona Coupe and GT40. However, being able to drive them with the improved GTR2 game engine (weather) will be fantastic. I'll also reclaim some drive space and ditch Star Force, which is doing strange things to Nero and my DVD drive.

Speaking of Starforce, I assume this new freebie game doesn't have Starforce? Seems like a silly question, but remember that the GTL demo had Starforce. I have not installed GTL on my new machine (despite my love for those cars) because I do not want to risk anything happening.

The car and track have now been ported to GTR2...

Linky for the lazy? \:D

Thank you sir!

I did look, just not very hard...

The doubled colors made me kinda sick ...

I know that theres already a nice color mod available, but i rather do things myself.

Have phun.

->> Download <<-

m3_retexad.jpg