Sign in to follow this  
saghen

Dirt 4?

saghen   

So, has Dirt 4 captured anybody's interest?

Supposedly the same physics from Dirt Rally will be possible, so maybe it won't be too arcadey.   I've been looking at screenshots and preview videos of the off road trucks and buggie, which look interesting.

I hope there's enough tracks to race them, other than 2-4 tracks, like there was for rallycross in Dirt Rally.

Dirt Rally seemed like the classic case of overfocus. They spent all their time on one part (the simulation of the rally driving) and kind of left the rest of the game out. This is my same complaint with a lot of the recent flight sims.

Dirt 3 had its flaws, but it was well-rounded. You could ignore the gymkhana junk almost completely and still have a full game. It had MP racing with AI (when it was GFWL, that is, for some reason it was dropped when switched to Steam) which is really important for rallycross let alone regular rally. Dirt Rally picked the core mechanics and did it great but it was zero frills.

Mudcat   

I've been following it, interested to see how it shakes out. Seems like it's you'll be able to create as many different stages as you want at least.

https://www.dirtgame.com/blog/39309

Your Stage allows you to produce a near infinite number of unique stages at the touch of a button in DiRT 4. Just select one of the five rally locations from within the game (Australia, Spain, Michigan, Sweden & Wales) and set the time of day and weather conditions. Next at your fingers are the options to change the length and complexity of your generated stage using sliders, and you also have the option to reverse the stage should you want to. If you are not happy with what the game’s built for you, just press Generate again and create another. You can then race, share and challenge your friends to take on your bespoke stage.

My big worry is that they have said about trying to appease those who complained DiRT Rally was too hard, while not dumbing it down for those who liked it. Trying to please everyone seldom works, but hey you never know. I'll most likely be picking it up regardless.

Oqvist   

Picked it up yesterday. It´s the sequel to Dirt 3 simple as that.

Long time since I touched Dirt 3 though but in that it did feel I had full control over the wheel. I disabled all aids but during the first tune in run I didn´t have my controllers configured and I didn´t unlock the highest AI difficulty so I don´t know if I am stuck on an amateur driving model or something.

If I have the wheel and driver enabled it´s clear to see it´s not 1:1 with my wheel movements though essentially he just go left and right like crazy where my driving style is more calm. And while driving it feels like there is some magnet that tries everything to pull me back on the road or keep on it. Maybe it´s just the starting car but it really feels like a hidden steering aid. I have triple checked the options and all driving assists is off.

Anyway the physics may have been all that but it can´t match Dirt Rally just due to VR and the immersion and feel for the environment it gives. It feels rather underwhelming tbh may try Dirt 3 again. 

I got it. And so far I like it. I pkay on xbox one. I have rallt for xbox too. However i could never get the feel right in rally. I have rally for the pc also and with a wheel rally is awesome. Dirt 4 has two modes sim and gamer. Since im using a gamepad on the xbox i chose gamer and its perfect. My assumption  would be that sim with a wheel would be good too. Its got little things that caught my eye. For example, during my second rally i finshed stage one of two in second. Between stages news scrolls across the bottom and one of the news items said the guy in first had issues in his second run. I thought that was cool.  Also the team thing is nice. Sign soonsors and team memebers and upgrade facilities.

All in all it got everything i wanted in a dirt game. It will keep me busy for a long time.

As for the steering wheel try 240 for degree of rotation. Codemasters has bever nailed the 900. Even in rally i had to use 240

Oqvist   

Yes often you are best mimicing the gamepad in Codemaster titles. I never run 900 degrees in any rally sim need to get lock to lock in a reasonable amount of time :) Need to access new cars but provoking oversteer is really really hard due to that invisible steering aid to keep everything in line. I can see how that really helps with stability on a gamepad though I guess I have to try that as well.

I am gonna let it mature though. They have not optimized the stage times at all. On tough you win some races with 30 seconds while on other it´s not possible to get top ten positions. And they haven´t totally excluded VR support. I was about to boot up Dirt 3 again but then they made some progress. Dirt 3 only allow one controller in Dirt 4 I can at least use separate usb pedals. There is ways to fix it though with some software I believe.

Magnum   

Got it and think it's a great game/racer with tons of discipline and options... but with that said, still think Dirt Rally is the better rally game, and probably a good time to get it since most likely cheap now... I use the sim settings and Dirt 4 still doesn't match the Dirt Rally feel... I thought it was suppose to be the same, but it's not. I can't play D4 then go play DR, because then I'm crashing/losing it all over, but can play DR first then go to D4 and excel. ;)

Do love the Rallycross in D4, 5 tracks, more options... DR only had 3.

imo

For those who have it, can you answer me this one question I have been unable to find answered anywhere?

Can you race co-op vs AI? In Dirt 3 GFWL edition you could race Rally, Rallycross, Trailblazer, and some other modes with a friend against AI cars. The Steamified version stripped out AI and Dirt Rally stripped out being able to race people in some modes altogether.

I want to race MP with just one or 2 people but still have a full field, like I can in pCars or F1 2010-6 or Dirt 2-3, not like Dirt Rally or Assetto Corsa where MP is players-only.

Because without that, I can stick with DR for my offline rally racing and pCars/F1 for my MP and skip Dirt 4 altogether, unless I see it on sale someday for $15 or something.

Oqvist   

Dunno but it would surprise me if it couldn´t in these coop oriented times. I only run these arcade titles in single player for fun. 

Tried the sand buggies but I would not want to race these online I would get so pissed lol. It´s essentially all about survival and if you don´t take the start you go blind due to all the smoke effects and you just have to floor it if you are lucky you ram whatever is ahead in a good way or if you don´t you crash but step off the throttle and you are being rammed yourself and there is no way through. There is no gentlemen racing in these cars the way they jump around and everything :D

Physics felt good and the tracks while short was much better then the awful real rallycross tracks in Dirt Rally. I would never want to race them irl they felt that bad to race. 

The cross carts had snap oversteer whenever I dabbed the brakes. Not sure if it can be fixed with setups?

Doing some more rally on tarmac so much grip really hard to make the rear brake loose my f1 2016 driving style do work quite well but the settings is quite realistic. No widened roads and quite long stages reminds a bit of rally 2000. But Still to find myself in a rally car I like but I have not bought any yet just driven what is given to me. Wonder what I would aim for in the classified section. There was some old lancia but maybe better to go for a newer lancer.

Piotr   

I never tried Dirt series so I cannot compare to the past. ButI was expecting succesor of Dirt Rally and I got really dissapointed. This game is absolutely no fun for me. Thankfully I came to this conclusion quickly enough to get the refund.  

Mudcat   

I noticed a big difference between stock parts and the first upgrade, even though it was just partial, made a big improvement to the handling. It seemed to loosen things up a good deal so i could actually throw it in the corners. I'll give it time to decide, going from fully upgraded cars in DiRT Rally back down to the bottom (which is actually still competitive thankfully in Dirt 4) I wasn't sure if it was the game or my perception.

Oqvist   

Unlocked some more cars and there is fun to be had so there is nothing spectacular. Just nice with a change. Nice speed sensation in the class A cars the extra grip do help reduce the amount of frustration and there is just about enough power to loose traction particularly if you shorten the gears. Best way is probably to run with long gearboxes though.

Big disappointment to see that Höljes and the other rallycross tracks from Dirt Rally make a comeback. Particularly Höljes is just awful.

Oqvist   

And it crashed my PC. I had a pink screen of death after a session of Dirt 4 yesterday but that I could recover from. Worse today light blue screen of death after some hour of racing during the loading of windows 10 and a complete reinstallation will see how that goes. 

Oqvist   

X 1080 ti installed up and running again :)

I found the my team menu. Not sure its really worth investing anything in that? So far I have never been anywhere close a penalty for repairing the car and never have to buy any cars it seems. I could afford to before spending it all on upgrades though. Pit crew etc cost money but not sure they will do anything good for me :)

Magnum   

well I did to try and find your answer... one game was up, hosted my own no one joined, lol.

so unknown.

Oqvist   

Still haven´t found a rally car that drives without gods hands. I will just run the career some then be done with it. 

Anybody figured the my team stuff out? I have some C-license guys but they have lower specs then some E-license engineers, pr agents etc? Is there a multiplier thing going on so a C-license but lower specs engineer still performs better? So far only at one time I got so much damage I got close to penalty time so not sure they are worth the cut anyway. I will not spend anymore in adding more engineers.