Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
saghen

Dirt 4?

3 posts in this topic

So, has Dirt 4 captured anybody's interest?

Supposedly the same physics from Dirt Rally will be possible, so maybe it won't be too arcadey.   I've been looking at screenshots and preview videos of the off road trucks and buggie, which look interesting.

I hope there's enough tracks to race them, other than 2-4 tracks, like there was for rallycross in Dirt Rally.

Dirt Rally seemed like the classic case of overfocus. They spent all their time on one part (the simulation of the rally driving) and kind of left the rest of the game out. This is my same complaint with a lot of the recent flight sims.

Dirt 3 had its flaws, but it was well-rounded. You could ignore the gymkhana junk almost completely and still have a full game. It had MP racing with AI (when it was GFWL, that is, for some reason it was dropped when switched to Steam) which is really important for rallycross let alone regular rally. Dirt Rally picked the core mechanics and did it great but it was zero frills.

I've been following it, interested to see how it shakes out. Seems like it's you'll be able to create as many different stages as you want at least.

https://www.dirtgame.com/blog/39309

Your Stage allows you to produce a near infinite number of unique stages at the touch of a button in DiRT 4. Just select one of the five rally locations from within the game (Australia, Spain, Michigan, Sweden & Wales) and set the time of day and weather conditions. Next at your fingers are the options to change the length and complexity of your generated stage using sliders, and you also have the option to reverse the stage should you want to. If you are not happy with what the game’s built for you, just press Generate again and create another. You can then race, share and challenge your friends to take on your bespoke stage.

My big worry is that they have said about trying to appease those who complained DiRT Rally was too hard, while not dumbing it down for those who liked it. Trying to please everyone seldom works, but hey you never know. I'll most likely be picking it up regardless.