nhill40

Do you bounce from sim to sim?

nhill40   

Does anyone else bounce from sim to sim?  When I consider how little time I have for sim racing in my life and then look at how many different sims I actually end up playing on a regular basis, I'm truly astounded.  I kind of wish I had it in my personality to just laser focus on one particular favorite sim, but I just can't seem to do it.

Every so often, I delude myself into thinking that I'm going to commit to just one (or, hell, just work on narrowing it to 2 or 3)...but I always get sucked back in somehow.

I thought it might be interesting (as a conversation starter, if nothing else), to sit down and try to analyze each sim from the standpoint of (1) what it is about this sim that pulls me back and (2) what it is about this sim that pushes me away.  Here is what I came up with:

rFactor2
+ The physics - the best in the business, IMHO.  You can feel things going on with your car that simply aren't there with other sims.
- Lack of content - finding a good car/track combo in this sim has gotten better as of late, but not to the extent where it's caught up with some other sims on the market.

Automobilista
+ "Toyota of Sims" - it's a perfect "7" across the board.  There is no one area where Automobilista is going to blow you away...but there is also no one area where it's going to let you down in an experience-breaking fashion.
- Lack of mainstream content - if you are in the right mood, this can be a benefit, but I invariably get called away by the chance to drive a (insert your favorite car here) at (insert your favorite European track here).

Assetto Corsa
+ GT/Forza for the PC - pretty much speaks for itself: an amazing diversity of brands/locales paired with awesome visuals and physics good enough to not drive you nuts.
- Doesn't feel like a racing sim - feels more like a hot lap simulator.  I know that's become the "cool thing" to say about AC, but when I look at how I play this particular sim, I think it's absolutely true.

Raceroom
+ Glut of content - tremendous range from a Formula car ladder to classic touring cars - tons of well-known tracks, as well.  And, all of it very uniform in quality.
- Physics missing something - while the cars are all very fun to drive, I have a hard time shaking the feeling that there is something missing in the driving experience.

iRacing
+ On-demand competition - it doesn't matter if you're home from work early on a Wednesday afternoon or stricken with a bout of insomnia on a Sunday evening, you can jump on the service and find people to race.
- Pricing model - content is the most expensive on the market...plus, having to pay a subscription fee to access the content I supposedly own really gets my goat.

HistorX/P&G/GTL
+ Content - you could assemble all the classic content from every sim listed above and still not come even close to what these sims model.
- Dated physics - they are all still very drivable, but there is no question the respective underlying physics engines are showing their age at this point.

As is usually the case with me, I have no coherent point or conclusions!  I would be interested to get others thoughts - do you find you jump around a lot from sim to sim yourself?  If so, do you indulge yourself and jump around, or have you found ways to force yourself to focus in on a narrower subset?

I think what's especially maddening for me is that, if you asked me to rank these from 1-6, I could definitely do it...but then ask me again in 2-4 weeks and I bet I would give you a complete different ordering from 1-6!  I guess maybe the ultimate take away message is that I should consider myself lucky to have so many viable (yet, imperfect) options to choose from.

Roenie   

Spot on, impressive writeup, except imo the content for rF2 is not as limited as you make it sound. Many of the less mainstream cars I actually really like but they require cup racing (same car). Sets of performance balanced cars for league racing is where rF2 is lacking a bit so if that's all league admins think about it's barking up the wrong tree, for that you basically get: FVR V8Supercars, Enduracers LMS & GTs, Flat6, Megane Trophy. (Not a fan of AM GT3's rough edges).

All installed cars in my rF2
(Minus everything that didn't make the cut, lots of ISI content removed.)
Plenty of options for cup races.

Piotr   

Good read.:thumbsup:

But I have different opinion of couple of points.

1. "physics good enough to not drive you nut" is just unfair; many of us may initially feel not at home after driving 10+ years of sims based on gmotors code and math but i does not mean that it deserves such a description. And the fact that is has impressive licenced content and looks great  should not lead to compare it to GT and Forza. Come one, the driving feel satisfaction is on different planet

2. I think Automobilista overtook rF2 in terms of physics and FFB finesee. Just compare the takes of both sides on single seaters

nhill40   

Good counter-points!

I will take these one by one:

On Roenie's rF2 content selection point, I will happily concede that rF2 has made strides in the right direction...for my personal tastes, I just don't believe it is up to the diversity/quality level that is present in some of the other sims on the list.  In this particular category, I personally would still rate rF2 near (if not at) the bottom of this list of sims.  I for one would really love to see this change (and I think there are some positive indicators that it may).

Regarding Piotr's defense of Assetto Corsa's physics, this comment for me personally is extremely timely.  I am in a bit of an "Assetto Corsa reawakening" at the moment that is in no small part being fueled by me challenging myself to approach AC's physics in a more open minded mental state specifically as it relates to dropping my assumption that AC should drive like a gMotor sim.  See what I mean about "timely"?!?  Give me a few more weeks and I wouldn't be surprised if I would be ready to re-write my AC assessment without any disparaging comments regarding the physics.

Lastly, as it pertains to Piotr's comment regarding rF2 vs AMS physics - in my book they are, very, very close...but I still give the edge to rF2.  The main differentiator to me is in the FFB: there is a buttery, constant smoothness to rF2's effects that makes AMS feel just a little bit "choppy" (for lack of a better term) by comparison.

I'm not sure I'd be willing to part with any of the sims on the list.  Ideally, I'd still like one to bubble to the top as a clear, long-term #1.  Realistically, I think I'll keep "bouncing"!

Panther   

I stopped jumping around and started focusing on one only. Just couldn't stay connected, one combo in one title would feel great, but same combo in another would feel off. Could be me over thinking it but for now, I'm connect with what I'm participating in.

Weasy   

Does anyone else bounce from sim to sim?  When I consider how little time I have for sim racing in my life and then look at how many different sims I actually end up playing on a regular basis, I'm truly astounded.  I kind of wish I had it in my personality to just laser focus on one particular favorite sim, but I just can't seem to do it.

This is pretty much why I stopped racing almost two years ago.  I tried bouncing sim to sim, but with weekly and even daily updates I just didn't have the time, and later the willingness to keep it up.  The "feel" in each sim was different, the setup format was different in each, controls, pits, etc...it was all different in each sim.  I tried to get a feel from the community on which was the best and what we could all race together...and not putting anyone down because everything was still pretty much beta...but nobody knew and we kept racing something different every week.  The racing sims all coming out at the same time was bittersweet...great to have a lot of new flavors...but it sucks because there are so many flavors.

Maybe when it all finally settles down and we have "The One" racing sim I might come back and race again.  Heck, maybe even only two.  But with so many titles, I just can't keep up.