Doug Atkinson

SCES EnduRacers - Sao Paolo (non-points race)

For those who want to run another event, we will offer an open non-points race on 5 March starting at 1800 GMT at Sao Paulo. No need to register, just show up. Grab any car you want from the EnduRacers car set. Unique car selection will be off so duplicate cars are allowed.

1755 GMT - server reboot
1800 GMT - 10 minutes practice + join rF2 / Teamspeak servers
1810 GMT - 15 minutes qualifying for all cars at the same time (IOWs, not private)
1825 GMT - 5 minute warmup
1830 GMT - 90 minute Sao Paulo race

A couple of explanations. First, the fifth race does not count towards the championship as explained here. Next, I had planned to run Spa for the final race but due to technical problems with the track, we will use Sao Paulo instead.

Server will be online next weekend for practice.

Doug, 

Its a shame that the championship is already ended. We had some good fun overthere i think, unfortunally the grid size was not big enough :(

So, regarding the fact that this race is a "fun race", i will not drive this one. In that case i have other priorities haha :) 

Understand and thanks for your participation Richard during the series.

I don't want us to end on a down note, so whoever has time please join us at Sao Paulo.

1 hour ago, S. Clark said:

So is there any chance of this series continuing?

Maybe... I hope in May we can start a new one with drivers who sign-up attending most of the races.

48 original sign-ups and cars selected
5 drivers kindly advised they would have to drop out because of illness or personal schedules
A different group of 12 drivers signed-up then never showed-up for even 1 race
4 drivers signed-up then ran 1 race - no idea what happened to them
Suzuka - 25 drivers
Road America - 29 drivers
LeMans - 20 drivers (below 50% minimals)
Silverstone - 20 drivers (below 50% minimals)
Just 12 drivers ran all 4 races

Do we listen to the enthusiasm about how people want a series, invest the time to set it up, then...

Only two leagues I know of are growing right now for rF2. VEC (SimRacing.club) and SCSR (StockCarSimRacing.com). Both are growing fast in the two strongest areas rF2 has: endurance racing and stock cars. All others seem to have faded badly. Seems other leagues have the same or similar problems with entry commitment. Perhaps there are others but those are the only two I'm familiar with.

Maybe charge 5 Euros to run the series so at least there will be some prizes for those who run the entire series.

Matthias   

Unfortunately, i have to say, that i am done with the gt class. The last race was a pain for me. No feeling, unable to fight.

In a new series, i will try the LMP, but i'm afraid i will not be able to get a good feeling with this Endurance Mod.

I like the idea of an entry fee, but maybe it is getting to serious then.

It got nothing to do with the mod. The mod is one of the best out there. The problem is with people not being honest and commited when they sign in on a series. No one is forcing anyone to race but if you willing to race sign in. if you don't at least let the admin no about it. i am 100% with Doug on charging for entry fee. At least this way Doug will know what he will have to do. 

rob17   
Son agree with Doug that it is not right to subscribe to the championships and then leave, my teammate Franco Scalet did the last two races due to personal problems and is very disappointed but others have not really presented and it is not fair against those who organize the campionati.Fare pay a fee it is just to cover the expenses but sometimes though discourages people is perhaps the best solution. It 'also true that they are now many championships and Endurance is not easy to follow them all, my team joined several championships and I guarantee that racing almost every weekend becomes heavy.
The model we used is perhaps the best among those that are there in rFactor2 regarding P2 prototypes, the GT are older than those of Apex or Simtech but are still valid, URD is a beautiful mod but if not the update will remain back behind EnduRacers that if he even P1 would be great.
That said I hope we can repeat the championship and certainly I will be present.

Piotr   

This my comeback to rF2 since the year they launched it and I really enjoyed that.

Thanks @Doug Atkinson for all the work on promoting and organising this events. 

A bit said it ends earlier. I know we had 50% attendance rule, but it seems to be this time we are victims of our own high expectations ;-) I mean 20 entries grid is nothing to be shy about. It's more than decent in current times, excluding some very prestigious things like you mentioned.

I really wonder about this 1/4 of registration than never shown up. I hope it's related to this particular mod, not the general trend.

goon   

I agree it's not the fault of the mod. I have spent many, many hours watching LMP-2s race both at tracks and on TV, and the Enduracers' P2s match exactly how I imagine these cars must drive. I've driven nothing but Enduracers Ligier in rF2 since I signed up for the season, and had hardly touched rF2 since I bought it on release. This mod saved rF2 for me, and I really wish I could make Sao Paulo, it's been so much fun. (I knew I couldn't make Spa when I signed up.) 

Jon_Uyan   
On 2/20/2017 at 4:02 PM, Doug Atkinson said:

Maybe charge 5 Euros to run the series so at least there will be some prizes for those who run the entire series.

And maybe this is the direction to go. A rather symbolic charge that would eliminate false sign ups and help cover some of the server expenses. All for it, but we have to make sure completing the series is a guarantee and no premature ending. I am disappointed we don't have the 5th race, I was enjoying the championship with all the drivers, the mod, broadcasting highlights.. Too bad it had to end so early.

Hope we can do this again in a more serious enviroment and with a proper length (8 races or so).

Jon, at the 8th race there would be 6 drivers. Maybe. :)

I think thought 5 was the correct number.

If we got an 80% attendance for all races, I'd be open for more after that.

And 80% isn't great, but it is a lot better than < 50%.

Piotr   
16 hours ago, Doug Atkinson said:

And 80% isn't great, but it is a lot better than < 50%.

@Doug Atkinson - Let's not build unrealistic expectations so we will avoid dissapointmentrs :-)

I believe 20 cars was sustainable grid for 90m race on normal size track I think this was core of the group that would keep coming back even for more races. If the signup list was 30, you would  have 66% turnout. Or have 40 but actually expect 30.

I think it was also the timing. The series was announced soon after mod release and there was lots of excitment among the community. After some time this mod was taking a bit of bad press here and there and maybe this discouraged some people. Of course I don't intend to start discussion whether it' s good or bad. I have enjoyed racing it and if simracer like George gives it a high marks, that should prevent doubts

Staniol   

Although I cannot be there always (almost missed the last one due to the family), but have no issues with the mod, length and timing was perfect.

I am happy to increase the gridsize again!

I agree with Staniol that the race length was good. Allows single driver entries, which does two things - increases grid size, and saves having to co-ordinate effort across a team in preparation. Or joining a team.

I will certainly be attending Sao Paulo.

goon   

I agree, race start time, duration, and format were perfect for me. I haven't been motivated enough to enter a series for ages and really enjoyed this one. As an inveterate midfielder my emphasis is on finishing cleanly rather than quickly, and picking up any 'crumbs' from just being there at the finish. The multi-class format made this a fun challenge. (And one of the reasons I got so cross with myself in the early races, but seriously pleased with my run at Silverstone.)

I hope we can run something similar again soon. Sad to miss the last race, but I knew this when I signed up. (Oh, and I loved watching @Troy_Uyan's video reviews after the races to see what everyone else had been up to.)

On 2/22/2017 at 8:02 AM, Piotr said:

@Doug Atkinson - Let's not build unrealistic expectations so we will avoid dissapointmentrs :-)

I believe 20 cars was sustainable grid for 90m race on normal size track I think this was core of the group that would keep coming back even for more races. If the signup list was 30, you would  have 66% turnout. Or have 40 but actually expect 30.

I think it was also the timing. The series was announced soon after mod release and there was lots of excitment among the community. After some time this mod was taking a bit of bad press here and there and maybe this discouraged some people. Of course I don't intend to start discussion whether it' s good or bad. I have enjoyed racing it and if simracer like George gives it a high marks, that should prevent doubts

The life and times of a sim racing event host. :skyisfalling:   If we try for a field of 20 sustained, and it drops to 15, would it be disappointing? Here's a secret guys. I always figure whatever the signup is, we will have 75% of that entry at the end of race 5 regardless which mod, how well the series goes, time of year, and any other variables thrown in. Series longer than 4-5 races drop in attendance precipitously. This one dropped to < 50% of the signups -- worse than usual -- after so much enthusiasm. You guys snookered me again into thinking the series could be sustained with a 75% entry. ;D  So just think of Sao Paulo as a one race championship to see what interest there is for a SCES EnduRacers 2. I even thought about switching to URD but then those who don't believe in payware speak up or who don't like the drive of URD, so it is a push play between EnduRacers and URD I believe.

To be fair to the mod, I complained about the GT cars and failed to find any car that I could get a good feeling with.

That is not the case with the P2 models which I do find really nice to drive and to work on a setup so I can see why George praises it so, because IMO he is correct, but only about the LMP2 cars. I would really like to attend this race if it takes place and have already chosen a P2 to race with this time and with the setup I developed for it last year it really is lovely to drive.

It was not planned to race in this one because FSR World Championship was suppose to start at 5-3-2017. Round 1 was postponed so probably i will be available to support this race.

But i have an idea. What about a friendly challenge to go the best against the best. Top 3 in standings of P2 class against top 3 in standings and drive ON THE SAME CLASS. We can invite you guys to join the P2 class and race with prototypes or we can join the GT class and race on your field.

Just a thought. What do you guys think, are you up for the challenge?

P.S. Series is finished but there is no reason to not make this race interesting?

Jon_Uyan   

I have another race that almost overlaps with the Sao Paulo race. I was going to tough it out and do both but now the series ended I need to concentrate on the other race, sorry guys.

Would definitely like to see this series come back pretty much the same form. I don't think the sign ups were the real number for this championship!. We started with 25 drivers and last two races attendance was 20, so all in all 20% drop not 50% in my eyes.

Bringing 20-29 drivers every race is nothing to frown about in today's simracing scene, I think this format deserves another shot in the future. 

Sao Paulo server now available for practice. No password until race day after server reboot.

Race is next Sunday at 1800 - 2000 GMT.

Server Name: SCES EnduRacers

Roenie   

Silverstone was probably the best race of this league so I wouldn't call it ending on a low note.

On 21/02/2017 at 10:46 PM, Jon_Uyan said:

A rather symbolic charge that would eliminate false sign ups and help cover some of the server expenses.

I couldn't agree more.

On 21/02/2017 at 11:07 AM, GeorgeManousakis said:

It got nothing to do with the mod.

Indeed.

20 drivers is plenty for me, but they have to be in the same class, otherwise you're only racing against 9 of those 20.

As indicated by Richard and Jon already signing out, if you were disappointed with the commitment for the "for points" league races, what do you expect will happen to this fun race at Sao Paulo that people now didn't plan for? That's truly risking to end on a low note. If we're going to do this, we should put everyone in the same class car.

On 25/02/2017 at 2:30 AM, GeorgeManousakis said:

But i have an idea. What about a friendly challenge to go the best against the best. We can invite you guys to join the P2 class and race with prototypes or we can join the GT class and race on your field.

This. Now I made you sound like Captain Obvious but you are right, captain. I'd enjoy taking one of the GT cars for a spin. Besides, the humiliation is incomplete unless George laps me in the GT class as well. But it's only fun if we can get Richard to compete. "Other priorities" other schmorities, Richard. ;)

Emery   

Crap.  Not going to make it.  This cold infection is lingering too much.

Yeah - I nearly had that. Smoking engine as I left the lane, but it cooled down after a few corners. Phew.

Was also on significant fuel-saving most of the race after I went a little too tight on the fuel level. But that was a fun exercise in laptime management.