Doug Atkinson

SCES EnduRacers - Event 4: Silverstone

i hope i can make this race,

i have to go to a "kinderfasching" (child carneval? is perhaps english name??) with my 3year old daughter, my plan is to be at home at 17.00 germany time and then ready for quali 10min. later, so i hope i am back in time.

i will have not much practise for this race, but i know track and cars, only any beer i will already have did drinking when race start, haha, but this is not problem for me normaly.

so finger cross that daughter is ready to go home in time.

and i hope that grip do get more during practise and race as the server grip was not much, and with low grip i need always so much tyre wear.

servus

Staniol   

Family event has been cancelled, I will try to hit the road, will try to practise in the afternoon.

Due to private circumstances I have to retire this leage.

In the end the sunday afternoon (for me and my family at diner time) wasn't the right time of day.

Roenie   

Teamspeak chat log between me and Doug at the start of the race:

<17:47:38>(Roenie)": ffs man, rF2 was stuttering (on the start/finish straight) so during warmup I exited to disable anti-aliasing
(The game ran fine up until qualifying.)
<17:48:01>(Roenie)": slow load time after that meant I joined just in time, but rF2 then crashed
(My PC is rock stable - I work in IT, this crash in multiplayer was 100% rF2's fault.)
<17:48:14>(Roenie)": then joining again was just a few seconds late I guess, formation lap started without me.
<17:48:22>(Roenie)": ended up unable to click Race, and with fixed setup
<17:48:23> "19 Doug Atkinson": sorry Jeroen, but we can't restart - it effs up the qualifying
<17:48:32>(Roenie)": well, ^#%*
<17:48:48>(Roenie)": things like this make me rethink simracing, 6 hours of prep time after work down the toilet
<17:49:31>(Roenie)": good luck
<17:49:34> "19 Doug Atkinson": I understand, its hell. But if I restart it usually effs qualifying

This part of simracing sucks, not going to sugarcoat it.
It can happen to anyone at any random time. I probably won't join another league for a good while.
It's so hard to find the time after work and it's the 3rd technical issue I've had this league.

Sorry Jeroen. We've all been there and agree it is terrible. But I can't RS a race without considering that rF2 screws-up up qualifying if Wramup is restarted. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Other explanations in case anyone wonders... The 60 second stop and go on the GT was for making contact with another car prior to the green on the formation lap. For some inexplicable reason, George and Jean-Pierre were penalized and a lap taken from them. That is the reason for clearing the penalties and lap adjustment. Thanks to both of them for cooperating as we got it sorted.

Piotr   

!@#$

I had an enjoyable beginning of the race, with close racing with Gareth for many laps. Then I kept it together for rest of the stint avoiding mistakes and not overdriving. But in pitstops my engine stalled. It never happened to me before so I did not have the button mapped for engine start. Race Over.

Anyway.. I enjoyed it for half the distance. I am not big fan of Silverstone but I admit it felt very nice today in vehicle I used.

Roenie   

I understand, Doug. No worries, and I've been there before too... indeed, I think we all have.
On the upside, missing the race meant I had time to go get some much needed groceries before the store closed, so I don't have to do that after work tomorrow.

Hope you guys had a good race.

cedward   

The start is a mess. I qualified 4th behind Berger.  Immediately on the start I get passed by not one but 2 cars. Who try to stay ahead of me for the whole lap. Apparently they don't know where they qualified. Fine. But, if people can't remember where they finish quali then all they need to do is look to the left or right on the grid and follow whoever that is. Not who is in front of you on the grid and not the onscreen instructions.

We should just have a standing start. Maybe 2 stage for the LMPs to start first or something. I understand why I got the penalty but moving at those speeds with someone on your outside is just asking for an incident before the start. People don't understand that it should be single file for the whole warm up lap. /rant

Also, apparently I don't know where the pitlane starts which is why I got 3 speeding penalties and pitted each of the first 5 laps. haha

Sorry to Neal for the contact near the end. I shouldn't have made that move.

Ronald   

I have to stop with this leage :( 2 kids, dinner, bedtime and my wife is not a good combo with this time of the day.

Good luck all.!

Jon_Uyan   

Sorry to hear your troubles Jeroen.

I wasn't invited to interview so I'll put few words here. Had a good race finally. No more coming from behind the field because qualy was messed up!. Started from P4, immediately had a race with R. Boeckman who was in P3. Tried really hard and pushed the tires to their limits while trying to find a way for a pass. It was a long, fair battle, thanks for the excitement Ricardo. :)   Finally passing him around L10 (I think) found myself in the thick of GT traffic and suddenly Jean-Pierre was in front of me. Didn't know why but I could not capitalize on a good pass because started to hit traffic at all the wrong places. 

GT drivers were really great in this race, I just did not have any luck with traffic at all. Caught a lot of cars at the entry of Copse or Maggots - Becketts complex. J-P checked out quickly, then came the pit stops and afterwards I was in no-man's land the whole second stint having a 30+ sec gap the George and J-P up front and more than a minute gap to guys behind. Towards the end just kept it at easy pace not forcing anything with GT cars and bringing home in P3.

Congrats to both podiums.

Roenie   

My Windows event viewer says: Faulting module path: D:\games\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Bin64\d3d9.dll
This strongly suggests TrackMap was the cause of the rF2 crash, because it comes with a custom d3d9.dll that it hooks into.

Anyone know where rF2 for Steam saves its crash logs?
(TrackMap saves a log too but no debug information was written to it.)

I may have had a car that was way off the pace (minimal practice mid-week) but I had a car that was nicely balanced. I therefore resolved to make this an error-free race, and hoped that doing so would see me rise up the rankings.

Spent the first few laps hanging onto the back of a peculiarly slow batch of LMP2s before losing touch. When GT traffic came into the equation I caught the LMPs and made a few places. I was both lucky in where I caught them and satisfyingly decisive in dealing with them.

Until I caught Peter Kurucz in Becketts. He was a little off line going in, had a big wiggle, and I went for the inside thinking he was about to wiggle out to outside of the corner. He's too good for that, though, and caught it, turning in for the apex but finding my nose suddenly there. I'd jumped on the brakes but was still sent into a spin. Thankfully he continued. Sorry Staniol.

So one silly mistake, almost avoided, and the odd tyre on the grass, but all OK. Then I ruined everything (in my head at least) by spinning up the rears too quickly trying to blast past a back marker late on. Lost 12 seconds to Cabernet who was chasing me down, but I got back on track and settled down.

Had a 15-second lead over him when I realised that I might be short of fuel by one lap. Did half a lap of fuel saving then realised that George was going to be close to lapping me after the clock had hit zero. I cleverly slowed down and let George catch me, following him over the line as he took the flag, and saving myself from doing an extra lap.

Really enjoyed that race, even though I wasn't competitive. So much run-off around the circuit that there were never going to be many retirements, but moving up from 10th to 7th and having very few incidents (by my own standards) was a good day at the office.

Thanks to all drivers who participated today and supported the series.

Here is the replay video. I'll leave it online for a few days before pulling it from Dropbox. 202MB.

Troy and Greg will bring along another superb video review later but for now here is the finish.

silverstone.png

RicardoB   

first of all: congratz on both podius and thanks for such a nice series - had great fun racing with u guys.

First of quali..: was pretty pleased with p3, could have maybe go a bid faster, but would never had a chance of improving my possition. so p3 then. I have mixed feeligs aout my race though.. Had a very solid pace, could have been good enough for p3 maybe, but luck was once again not on my side. Had an great battle going on with uyan the first 10 laps, but was not realy concentrated during that cause i was dicussing with Jean-pierre about his Penalty.. So he got past me quite easily. Had than in about 4 laps 3 incidents with the same gt driver. The first one was i would say an race incident.. ( was trying to hang on to Uyan who managed to get around the GT between Copse and maggots - both where realy slow on that straight, so i tried to also sneak past the GT, left him one and a half car width space on the inside at maggots but it seems that he had a bid of oversteer going into maggots so he had to open up the steering a bid and that was all she wrote. And i guess he did not know that i was alongside him.)

The second and third incidents where a bid "meh" but whatever. 

After that i found myself way down the order but had a good and solid pace, maybe sometimes overdriving the car a bid - but i had some realy great fight´s especially with Roberto during the last 6 ore so laps. 

That was a nice one yesterday.

Q: Goal was a 1.59, i had not driven Q setting during training yet. In the last seconds of the Q i was able to set a 1.59, in the lap after that i was again quicker, but a small mistake caused a spin :)

R: Rino was not fast enough, so i was able to create a gap. But then there was another ferrari, R. Berger! He was able to catch up to me, until the moment he pitted, about 20 minutes before the end or something. In the laps after that i was doing some good laps to create a bigger gap before i hitted the pit :)

After my pitstops we had 11 minutes to go, with Berger about 3 seconds behind me. This gap was steady, he was not faster anymore. Even better, he backed off the last few laps :) I believe he said, tyres where gone at 25% or something.

So it seems Berger was driving the same Meds whole the race! Good work! But the end it killed you haha. Nice try :) 
I was driving hards, because i never tried to use the med's that far in wear! Normally the times are killing at the end. 

Champion GT Class!
Thnx guy's :) 

Staniol   

Despite falling in last moment (and limping at the last place as usual), I loved every bit of this race. I usually hate Silverstone because of the long wide turns, but it worked surprisingly well this time for GT.

I realised I have done the previous races on boost 1 (i thought it was defaulted to 3, most probably it was changed during one of my setup changes before the first race), so this time I wasn't THAT slow anymore. More to that, I had a good setup from Lonestar (thanks again) which I tailored to this track and allowed me to go around safely.

Tried to stick to my line, no jump away from the LMPs or GTs behind me and I think mostly I succeeded. I remember James's situation and yes, it can be dangerous to pass me if I am barely hugging the proper line, sorry for that. It was almost at the end of my first stint and tires were not that good anymore.

One thing I need to mention. I have 180 ms from here (Central Europe), that means a lot of extrapolation, sometimes it can cause problems too, I am aware of this and keep distance on both sides when I can. If that ping is too much for good racing, please let me know,l don't want to mess up other's races. Extrapolation is dangerous, because you see the predicted position of cars not the real one which sometimes can be different.

Having (and dealing) no damage is already a huge achievement for me. I am happy, and I also see gaps where I can be better and faster, so beware...

Thanks for organising, participating and running these races!

Coutie   
12 hours ago, RicardoB said:

first of all: congratz on both podius and thanks for such a nice series - had great fun racing with u guys.

First of quali..: was pretty pleased with p3, could have maybe go a bid faster, but would never had a chance of improving my possition. so p3 then. I have mixed feeligs aout my race though.. Had a very solid pace, could have been good enough for p3 maybe, but luck was once again not on my side. Had an great battle going on with uyan the first 10 laps, but was not realy concentrated during that cause i was dicussing with Jean-pierre about his Penalty.. So he got past me quite easily. Had than in about 4 laps 3 incidents with the same gt driver. The first one was i would say an race incident.. ( was trying to hang on to Uyan who managed to get around the GT between Copse and maggots - both where realy slow on that straight, so i tried to also sneak past the GT, left him one and a half car width space on the inside at maggots but it seems that he had a bid of oversteer going into maggots so he had to open up the steering a bid and that was all she wrote. And i guess he did not know that i was alongside him.)

The second and third incidents where a bid "meh" but whatever. 

After that i found myself way down the order but had a good and solid pace, maybe sometimes overdriving the car a bid - but i had some realy great fight´s especially with Roberto during the last 6 ore so laps. 

You might want to watch the replay, you drove right into me... A stupid place to try and pass and my race was ruined because of it.

Thanks all for a great season. It was entertaining to watch. Here is the final video review highlights for this season, and it was an entertaining way to wrap up the season! Good racing from a lot of drivers.

rob17   

Beautiful and exciting race, my qualifications were not good tenth but I knew I had a car with a good set is therefore hoping for a good race.Non was easy to overcome my opponents, all good and correct but in the end with a good strategy and some luck, I won the fourth place which is also the position I have won in the league.
Thank you all for a job well done and a bit sorry that we can not do the race in Spa a track that I love who knows where the third place in the league was not so far.
:thumbsup:

note: moved from wrong thread

First having read the thread about funding I've removed my adblocker for this site.

What I would like to know is what is the real cost per person on average for a years simracing regarding server and support costs here? i.e. if the costs are divided up amongst the active members here, what would be a realistic amount to donate?

On to the race. I've honestly struggled really badly with the Enduracers mod regarding the feel/feedback of what the car is doing and in being able to find a nice setup that I have some confidence in. Alas I've not been able to achieve that with this mod and IMHO it is the mod at fault. So overall the experience has been less than wished for. On the plus side, having a decent number of entries per race makes a huge difference for me and has had me returning for more despite the drawbacks already mentioned.

I've got mixed feelings about the racing itself as I have to say that not many prototype drivers seem to know how or at least attempt to make clean overtakes of the slower class cars. Sadly this race for me was as bad as my last race in the VEC in which I decided it was just not fun being constantly put into dangerous and precarious situations by poorly thought out manoevers and I withdrew from that championship and almost stopped racing entirely. It might look exciting on screen, but when you are the slower driver having your racing line suddenly taken away from you constantly or you get divebombed into a turn, or you have a prototype right on your ass and you don't know which way they will go and you make errors because of having to watch in your mirrors instead of what is ahead...Racing is not only about going fast, an essential but limited part overall, at least for me, it is more about on track attitude and proper respect for everyone that has a right to be on the track too. But you will likely only know this because you are one of the slower drivers too. Some of the moves put on me in this race left me shaking my head in disbelief and with one particular racer who ruined the end result for me in this race with his contact on me following a completely illegal move.

Moan over having said all of the above, I'm still keen for more racing now and into the future, like the coming German series, so fingers crossed and sorry for the moan, but a big and genuine thankyou to the race organisers for hosting the events, without your dedication we would have no racing.