Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NimRud

Update incoming + VR support

4 posts in this topic

Server down for maintenance right now and while I checked the official and RD forums it looks like there is a new upate on the way which apart from Silverstone and other fixes adds VR support finally

OpenVR support

downloading a 2,8 gb patch at the moment

Nice!  This could be a game changer - I've heard from so many people say they would jump into R3E if it had VR support.  Sounds like we may soon find out how many people will follow through (which could be really good for expanding the user base).

Not sure the exact point in time in which it happened, but R3E has officially supplanted AMS as my favorite sim - I still have great fondness for AMS and it'll have a home on my HDD for a long time to come, but I race R3E almost exclusively now.

It´s still a big minority that owns a VR headset though and competition is almost as tough since almost all beside rFactor 2 has VR support now.

Did some comparisons with Assetto Corsa they need to work on the shadows had to turn them off. Can live without them but it´s awful when you have a car floating ahead. 

I also did attempt to run assetto corsa on low track detail because it´s realistically what I need to do to ensure smooth framerates in races with my X 1080. So it´s a more valid comparison for anything else but hotlapping. Assetto Corsa still looks way better. It also felt more 3D better sence of the elevation changes and the kerbs built more in height. Maybe it´s exhaggerated what do I know.

I didn´t get the feel that the Raceroom version was wider though. Mainly the elevation changes that made the track feel different. Raceroom version had one steeper downhill though so who knows which is correct. But Assettos graphics surely make it appear a lot more convincing. But no problem with visibility, zero eye strain and performance was good with 1,5x supersampling which is the same I use for Assetto Corsa. How high I go with supersampling all depends if I can hold 90 fps without asynchronous time warp etc. Nothing beats true fps I don´t know why they recommend you enable it. It´s incredibly annoying when they dip your fps to 45 better to be at 70 most of the times.

Cockpits themselves is not to shabby in raceroom. May be better to stick to stock wheel rotations the wheel seem to lag sometimes when running my custom 360 lock. Not a big deal though.