Doug Atkinson

SCES EnduRacers - Event 3: LeMans

47 posts in this topic

This was a serious challenge.

I knew from experience Circuit de la Sarthe takes far more preparation than any other track, due to its length. I also knew I wasn't going to have that kind of time. Work all week every week, sick on friday, ultimately I only had one session of a few hours to get prepared so I just used my low downforce Road America setup (front 1, rear 2) and changed the gear ratios. 3:44.6 on mediums at boost 1 was the result and that was it - I had no idea how fast/slow that would be compared to the rest of the field and no time to do anything about it anyway.

Today I only had time to do the math and pick a strategy. The event description said it would probably rain after sunrise. A quick look at rF2's race session options hinted that at 75% of the race would probably be where the 80% rain chance would start. Even at boost 1, the LMP2's 75 litre tank was probably not going to be large enough to do a no-stop until the rain.

Quali:
Worst ever as I immediately left the pit but the server/game weren't quite ready yet and I ended up stuttering past the red light at the pit exit. Stop & go penalty. Having no mic, I alt-tabbed to text chat with Doug about it on teamspeak and rF2 crashed. I did finish one lap but I half spun twice during it (not really a hotlap, just a warmup lap finding the braking limit), which got me Q10, last of all the LMPs.

Race:
I went with a full tank on hards, boost 1 to make the fuel last as long as possible.
I had to stop for a splash of fuel a few laps before the rain started (no tire change) + switched boost from 1 to max for the remainder of the race.
A few laps later I came in to exchange my hards for wets.

One of the wets didn't make it to the end of the race and I damaged/removed my front wing, making the last few laps in the wet very challenging before finishing 7th.

Not enough time for practice + never having done a wet race in rF2 nor in the dark + an unusually unsettled state of mind today made me inconsistent. Lots of (little) mistakes, but I'm glad I could still join you guys for this one and finish the race, without getting too affectionate with GTs at night or in the wet. After a pit strategy mistake (2 tire changes instead of 1) in the first race and crashing into a GT in the second race, my chances at podium for the championship were already gone anyway, so my main goal was just to finish the race. That will be my approach for the final 2 races as well.

Thanks, gg & good night. :thumbsup:

Congratulations to George (again) taking the LMP win and to Richard (again) taking the GT win! :winner:

Thanks to everyone who could attend and challenge the king of tracks and the tough environment that went with it!

Here are the results from Sim Results:
http://simresults.net/170205-6ea

LiveRacers page:
http://simhqmotorsports.liveracers.com/Results/Result/8bdde9cc-332c-412b-ad9c-a09743ff8bcc

Race replay:
http://simhqmotorsports.com/downloads/motorsports/rfactor2/sces-modern/SCES_EnduRacers_Race3.zip

The big story of my race was the GT pile up at exit of Indianapolis on lap 6.  I got spooked with Alex spun in front of me, and braked too hard, losing back end.  Trying to maneuver off the track, Alex had circled around and blocked me from backing off the track, so I was stuck in middle of track... apologies to Colin Moore for blocking the track.  I was trying to move forward to clear track for traffic.  Could not see anything to right and thought i had time to clear before you were on the scene.

That collision removed my front wing.  I did not repair it, which gave me great speed on straights, but not so good in corners.  This took a few laps to get acclimated to.  And had some good racing with Hallfarth in the next few laps... i was faster on straights, and he was faster in the corners, so it made for a fun battle.  Good racing Manuel :thumbsup:

Congrats to Richard again.. he is running away with this.

Pretty sure I started in 10th pos., simresults Quali results say 9th. :screwy:
(Look at the race results, says I'm 7th and up by 3, which confirms I started 10th.)

No problem about the contact on lap 6 Don. I tried to avoid you but there was a wall in the way :).

Tough race for me. I didn't get a lap in during quali and that coupled with the weather were the end for me. I tried to keep running on softs in the rain which was my only chance of getting a decent finish. I was only a few seconds off pace from the pair in front and I though if I could just keep it together it would work out. I couldn't and it didn't. Looking forward to the next race though and congrats to the winners!

Terrible race for me, and not just because I had total of 7 complete test laps before the Qualy started nor wet conditions in the closing laps, but it was the rookie mistakes I did during pit entry (pit limiter problems) which resulted a stop n go10 seconds and a second one a drive thru. Cost me ~70 seconds and P3 at the end.

Congratulations to podiums in both classes.

3 hours ago, Lonestar29 said:

The big story of my race was the GT pile up at exit of Indianapolis on lap 6.  I got spooked with Alex spun in front of me, and braked too hard, losing back end.  Trying to maneuver off the track, Alex had circled around and blocked me from backing off the track, so I was stuck in middle of track... apologies to Colin Moore for blocking the track.  I was trying to move forward to clear track for traffic.  Could not see anything to right and thought i had time to clear before you were on the scene.

That was a crazy moment for sure.

Race was going alright for me before that. I was just a little off with the brake pressure, and ran a little bit wide and spun. After that, it was fine until the rain. First time into the Porsche curves I went to brake and just slid out into the wall.

The key words where Fun, Race, grass, gravel, rain, focus, more focus, not enough focus, wall and DNF....:ahoy:

That was a nice one yesterday!

I prepared myself to be second this race, because Rino is a quick driver.

Q: Private session, awesome, free track! Had some nice laps, with a PB on 3.55! Very good lap, but higher place then expected. No Rino in front of me! :)

R. Rino passed me on the straight in the first lap, no big deal. The gap was continously about 5/6/7 seconds. But then, he was going into the pit with 40 minutes left? Strange i thought! Why with upcoming rain in the next minutes? 
And indeed, 2 laps later: Rain, with 30 minutes left or something. Went into the pit to get some wet tires and some fuel.

After that still a gap of 58 seconds to the second car Rino, that was increasing fast every lap. Finish with a gap of 1 minute and 30 seconds or something :)

That was tremendous. :yep: Pretty hard for an aging git like me, especially after the rain. The problems with controlling the throttle really came home to roost and it almost became impossible to not spin up the tyres in those slow turns and I did have several spins but lucked out without collecting any damage. Also found my braking setup was not very useful in the wet as the fronts just locked solid a couple of times down Mulsanne to the first chicane. That I know I could sort out with buttons for BB.

Nonetheless, I really enjoyed this event and was happy to finish and climb three places too.

Well done to the winners your pace was unreal.:winner:

and a big thanks to the organisers too. :thumbsup:

I kinda was forced to switch between boost 2 and 3 to keep Richards Aston Martin at bay. The Ferrari's strong point is not top speed. 

I know that would compromise me in the wet part of the race. But at least I had a good chance for P2. Realistically I never thought I would win this one. 

Trying to close the gap I came across a back marker in a GT car in the Porsche curves. That car was well and truly miles of pace. Kinda caught me by surprise, and forced the Ferrari into a spin to avoid a massive punt. By luck I kept it out of the barriers and resumed with a near 20 seconds lost. 

Secured P2. 

All in all, not a huge fan off this scripted weather. Rain is fine, if it follows a real pattern. 

And timing was a bit of. Ending the race 20 minutes later than planned. Kinda put me in a difficult spot in real life :)

But a good race. LMP cars that lapped me were all clean and respectful towards my race. 

19 minutes ago, Rino Demeulemeester said:

And timing was a bit of. Ending the race 20 minutes later than planned. Kinda put me in a difficult spot in real life :)

Same here. The biger part of the delay was from the very big and slow formation lap for this track.

Maybe just me, but the wet tires didn't seem to be much better than the slicks in the rain, almost worse.

Video review / broadcast highlights are up! :) 

I really enjoyed this, despite some really stupid mistakes - again. Luckily noone else was involved this time. I did loads of testing running up to it, knowing that I was a good way off the pace and that a good result would depend on error free running. I completed a race distance on the server prior to the race with only minor mistakes. The race would be different!

I ran medium tyres, intending to double stint them. On my in lap at the end of the first stint I got wide at the exit of Porsche Curves and sustained heavy damage against the tyre wall. I made it in to the pits, and repaired the damage and took new tyres. Well over 70 seconds lost. If I remember rightly I then ran until the end of the second stint, before calling for fuel only. Then the rain began to fall, and I had to pit for wets. The speed limiter did not engage (my wheel misses the odd button press now and then) and I got pinged for speeding, and given a stop / go. 

Conditions in the wet were awful, and I had another off at the exit of the Porsche Curves, luckily with not much damage. After that I resolved that I was going to finish in one piece, and dropped my pace considerably. Once again I ran low on fuel and had to splash and dash to ensure I could complete the last lap. (I really must work on this aspect of my strategy!) All in all I am happy to finish 5th (or finish at all, in fact) but disappointed I can't stop making driving errors and strategy mistakes.

I'm really enjoying this series. Since the start I've only driven the Ligier in rF2, and have learnt an enormous amount because of this consistency. 

Looking forward to Silverstone!

Gareth