Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nhill40

The Nordschleife is pretty good in R3E!

12 posts in this topic

I've been hitting the Nord pretty hard in AC lately and decided to give it a whirl in R3E tonight for comparison.

I consider AC (along with iRacing) to be the "gold standard" for track accuracy and so was braced for the R3E version to feel totally different...pleasantly surprised to say I was wrong!

The details and dimensions were quite good and I was able to pretty much pick up right where I left off in AC.

My lone complaint is that the R3E version is artificially wider, which made a few of the turns feel noticeably gentler.  I'm guessing this decision to widen the track is presumably for the benefit of online event fun factor...annoying for a persnickety type like myself but probably a smart move for the sim in the big picture.

Well it's the first laserscanned track from R3E, which is using the same data as iRacing and AC. So it is as accurate. If you think it feels wider, I suspect it might be due to the FOV as R3E does not support multiview. If you are on a single screen, you might still have a different FOV than on AC of course.

I think the feel you have is more due to how the sims behave in general. R3E has more grip of the bat so it feels a bit easier. Especially since it takes the rubber half a lap to get the temps up i AC. Then there is a bit different feel in the cars them self, even if you drive the exact same car in both sims.

Wow!  I'm in disbelief... I would have bet good money that the R3E version was wider! :D

Did not realize R3E had any laserscanned tracks - that's pretty cool!

The other factor is I was using a P2 car (which I find speedy, yet tame - perfect for Nord recon) - perhaps this car is narrower than I imagine it to be.

I might try is out with one of the larger GT3s tonight and see if the sense of wideness persists.

Which part of the track you remember particurarly to be wider?

You got my curiosity running and now I feel like I want to try it myself :yep:

I am on single monitor and also felt like it was wider. Wish raceroom had 3D so you could truly compare the scale of everything :)

1 hour ago, Piotr said:

Which part of the track you remember particurarly to be wider?

You got my curiosity running and now I feel like I want to try it myself :yep:

Truthfully...the whole thing felt wider!  :)

One particular area that comes to mind though is the stretch of road coming up to the first carousel (I think this would be the "Caracciola-Karussell").  The track kind of "wiggles" there and, in AC, I needed just the slightest touch of steering input to keep of the curbs...in R3E, I felt like I could just drive straight through.

It could all be my over-active imagination, of course... :wacky:

Gawd, you guys are going to think I'm losing my marbles, but now that we're talking about this a bit, I went out and looked at some real-life pics of the Nord...I think if anything, the more proper thing to say is that the track in AC feels a bit narrow! (i.e. the R3E version's "wideness" - at least in my perception - seems to be the more accurate depiction to me)

Either way, let me say for the record that both the AC and R3E versions are light years ahead of anything we had previously.  In particular, the sense of elevation change in both sims goes way beyond any previous version of the track I tried.

@nhill40 I completely agree. I was astonished at not only the sight but the feel of elevation changes on the Nord' after thinking I knew it so well with hours of GT6 in the seat. Hah! not even close with barely a rise or fall and that stretched out view just killing the real character of the track. A.C's own laser scanned version was a revelation of biblical proportions. :notworthy:

6 hours ago, not_him_59 said:

@nhill40 I completely agree. I was astonished at not only the sight but the feel of elevation changes on the Nord' after thinking I knew it so well with hours of GT6 in the seat. Hah! not even close with barely a rise or fall and that stretched out view just killing the real character of the track. A.C's own laser scanned version was a revelation of biblical proportions. :notworthy:

For sure.

The first version I drove was back in 2008, the Race 07/GTR Evo version.  Ho hum, it was kind of cool, like a long road course.  Didn't do many laps...

But when it was released for AC, I went through a nice long addiction of driving Nord Tourist laps.  Wow!  The road surface was much more alive and the visual references were much more useful.  I've literally done hundreds of laps, and I love it.  Especially feeling a street car get light on some of the crests.

I do think this is probably down to subtle FOV differences.  If I really focus on the road right at the nose of the car, both sims seem about identical.  If I look down track, I get the impression the R3E version is wide (or AC version is narrow).

On a semi-related note, I just went back to AC after turning many laps in R3E and the cars in AC all feel like they want to plow.  Going AC -> R3E was easy...going R3E -> AC was very frustrating!