Sign in to follow this  
nhill40

Can someone help me with road holding?

nhill40   

Let's say we have 2 cars at the track:

- A 4000 lb (for our non-Murican readers, I believe this is approx 1.9987 hectacres) sport sedan

- A 2500 lb (again, I think this is approx 3.14 phonograms) sports car

We let a hotshoe take some laps in both cars, and at one given corner's apex, each car is found to be pulling a maximum latitudinal grip of 1.0g.

If we compare the snapshot of each of these cars at the moment they are at the apex and pulling pure latitudinal grip (neither car is accelerating or decelerating at that precise moment), what - if anything - can we surmise about their speed?

I feel like I've done an embarrassingly large amount of "physics for dummies" self study to not know the answer, but on my drive home, I successfully reasoned my way into THREE different answers! :D

1 - the sports car is faster (it's lighter and can "do more" with that 1.0 g of road holding)

2 - the speeds are identical (1.0 g is simply a function of how fast the car is moving at that point of the corner)

3 - it's impossible to tell given only this information (because, dammit, I'm a software developer, not a physicist!)

F19_CoNa   

2 if you are strightly theoretical. gforce only relates to radius and speed, and as gforce and radius is the same in this scenario, so must speed be.

In real life this information is not important, but the whole corner is.  If you want to know which one is the faster through it, which is what really matters, then for that question #3 applies

nhill40   

OK, thank you Conny.  If there was money on the line and I had to pick, 2 is the option I would have gone with...but my confidence level was quite low!

Turn radius was the key detail I left out, in hindsight.  I suppose that's what I was trying to get at in a muddled fashion with the "at the apex of the same corner" business.

I agree that an instaneous snapshot of road holding at the moment of apex is nowhere near enough data to determine which car actually gets through the turn faster!

Thanks again!