Doug Atkinson

SCES EnduRacers - Event 2: Road America

3 hours ago, James_Andrew said:

I first of all need to apologise to poor old Spencer Battersby who, on Lap 8, was trying his best to let a bunch of annoying LMPs through at the start of sector 2, when I managed to lose my rear over a bump, slid to the inside, then completely out of control across the track and collected him. I can't put into words how mortified I was. I had actually decided not to go for the pass, even though you were leaving the inside lane free, but must have unsettled my car with the late braking. Actually was convinced I'd had a tap from behind but no. All my own fault and I'm so sorry you were taken out there.

No problem James!

With the speed of this track it is hard to judge which side the LMPs are committing to when the racing line switches sides of the track. Had this happen a couple of times so I kept with leaving the inside to the corners open and then staying in the middle of the track after corner exit.

Was hoping we might get some more GTC cars back when the signups went but alas its just Dan and myself.

Roenie   
28 minutes ago, RacerSpencer said:

and then staying in the middle of the track after corner exit.

Please don't do that. The best way to overtake a slower car is to keep enough distance so you can set up for a good corner exit, exiting the corner wide, getting maximum acceleration, getting very close behind in the car's slipstream after the corner, then go around it "on the inside" of the straight. So if you're staying in the middle on corner exit you're blocking the way. Not only that, but if you're in the middle there's really not enough room to ensure safe passage on either side.

Rules of the Road (5.0)

SimHQ Motorsports and their affiliate groups will use the following “rules of the road” for all sim racing events.
Hold your normal racing line.

22 minutes ago, RacerSpencer said:

Was hoping we might get some more GTC cars back when the signups went but alas its just Dan and myself.

I don't like seeing poorly-represented classes. I'm hardly adding much to the prototype circles here. I might switch to the GTCs to give you some fun.

3 minutes ago, Coutie said:

Why not just join the GT3's, instead of driving on your own.

Plenty of GT3s already. You see more traffic in the top or bottom tier. And giving Spencer and Dan a playmate might ensure they stick around. Simple really.

Bung13r   
43 minutes ago, Roenie said:

Please don't do that. The best way to overtake a slower car is to keep enough distance so you can set up for a good corner exit, exiting the corner wide, getting maximum acceleration, getting very close behind in the car's slipstream after the corner, then go around it "on the inside" of the straight. So if you're staying in the middle on corner exit you're blocking the way. Not only that, but if you're in the middle there's really not enough room to ensure safe passage on either side.

Rules of the Road (5.0)

SimHQ Motorsports and their affiliate groups will use the following “rules of the road” for all sim racing events.
Hold your normal racing line.

That's fair, and what I (and Spence) intended to do, however half of the time a LMP (or GT) car would wait correctly, the other time they would make a pass when there really wasn't room/time to, so I started trying to just play "Get out of the way" because I didn't want to get taken out, unfortunately that lead to the instance where you ran into me - which was my bad and I'm sorry.

If I had the confidence that I wouldn't get run over by the faster cars I would have just run my line, but it seemed like the majority of the faster cars pushed the issue instead of waiting to the correct moment to pass.

Sorry I ruined your race, that was my fault :(

Jon_Uyan   
9 hours ago, Roenie said:

So, my mother is in the country unannounced and shows up at my door wanting to go for a walk even though I told her I wouldn't have time today. Knowing about the race and what games mean to me, she goes: "so on a beautiful day like this you just spend your time indoors again? Such a waste."

:banghead:  :cuss: 

I'm well in my thirties and don't like disrespect so I sent her packing. :wave:I need to prepare for the race. How's that for commitment, Jon?

Awesome commitment. Is there a cloning facility in your city? Because we need at least 15 more like you just for this series.

I see LMP and GT drivers blaming each other already, which is fine up to a point, but you guys need to understand this is the nature of multi-class racing. And it is not nice to blame the whole class!. There are some drivers in each class that either they have little experience with multi-class or lack of simracing experience overall that causing these incidents or on-track miscommunications. Again it is ok, not everybody is the same and some of us need to learn how to manage traffic, it is an educational process. But blaming each other via after-race posts (in other words; Public shaming) is not the way to go. Instead take your time and file a protest. Not necessarily for taking revenge or personal satisfaction but for the sake of educating those who are not aware what they are doing wrong. Getting a penalty will force them to learn the rules and become a better driver. 

You should do this if you think you have a case, if not then it is a racing accident, simple as that.   

Staniol and Bung13r have both stated that they have become frightened into giving room due to frequent dive-bombs or plain lack of patience from LMPs. This clearly makes Jon's point about people on both sides needing to learn.

We've all been newbies and had to learn things, that's fine. Even last year I sometimes caught myself making space for faster classes in a bad way. But really, if drivers of slower classes had a bit more arrogance and demanded their right to the road, prototype drivers would learn quickly. As a GT driver, you will likely have moral high ground in most contact arguments.

Equally, there is a bit of an art to sending the right signals for when and where you want to overtake/be overtaken. Knowing how to give those, and read them properly, needs both race experience and some feeling for the personality of the driver you're dealing with. Oh, and his particular situation in the race at the moment, of course. Today I made a few people wait a little longer to lap me when I was either fighting for position or struggling with the car.

Roenie   

292.png

Sorted by top speed. :neaner:  (Would've been a 1:51.xxx without traffic.) Amazing difference of ~10 km/h compared to George's setup. Rear wing 2 produced the fastest laps for me. Only problem is you close in on GTs extra fast... as I've now experienced. :nope:

52 minutes ago, Jon_Uyan said:

Is there a cloning facility in your city?

I had a sauce pan left in my fridge last week that seemed to be doing pretty good...

Roenie   
4 hours ago, Bung13r said:

If I had the confidence that I wouldn't get run over by the faster cars I would have just run my line, but it seemed like the majority of the faster cars pushed the issue instead of waiting to the correct moment to pass.

Sorry I ruined your race, that was my fault :(

I'm not sure whether it was your fault, it could be mine or neither of us. Maybe I went for the outside line too late, putting doubt in your mind. I'd have to look at the replay (which I don't have). Ultimately it's my responsibility to overtake you safely, e.g. not in that slight left bend of the straight but after it, and lift the throttle if the speed difference is too big. I was actually one of the LMPs pushing the issue sometimes. It's tempting because it can take 5-10 laps to gain back 1 lost second on the guys battling for podium.

Edit (after looking at replay): You took "initiative" to stay wide but only after it already seemed likely I was going to take the inside as that was the side I naturally was after my corner exit and I stayed there for a little bit, but I anticipated you turning in and didn't want to cut off your line so I went to the outside. Surprise! :bump: You probably would've turned in if I had moved to the outside immediately after exiting my corner but it took me a second to realize the outside was the way to go... The incident puts the nail in the coffin of my chances at podium for the championship, but it's just a racing incident IMO.

5 hours ago, Staniol said:

Great thanks to Lonestar29 for sharing his setup, I felt much safer in the car with good control. My only goal was to finish the race without hitting anyone, almost succeed. :)

You are very welcome Peter!  Glad it work for you. :thumbsup:  Makes the race more enjoyable when you can control the car...

Thanks Troy.

Power back on a half-hour ago after 9 hours. Sheesh. You really appreciate electricity when it is taken away for even part of a day.

I'll start working on the race review, standings, report, and setup for the next race @ LeMans.

--------

If you have already read this, a refresher may help. It covers many of the incidents and how to handle them mentioned earlier in this thread.

http://simhqmotorsports.net/sim-racing-guidelines/#rules

--------

Back later. :)

To tell you the truth guys, i think that the main problem is lack of practice with GT's AND LMP's in the track.

JOIN the server practice races that Doug organizing.

JOIN daily practice sessions whenever you have time and practice together in a realistic way. DO NOT MOVE AWAY during the practice sesions. If you do that, everyone will learn faster.

Do in practice EXACTLY what you will do in race, and everything will be much better at the next race.

Emery   
2 hours ago, Doug Atkinson said:

Power back on a half-hour ago after 9 hours. Sheesh. You really appreciate electricity when it is taken away for even part of a day.

Loss of electricity is routine in my neck of the woods.  Computers and network gear are all on uninterruptible power supplies.

Congratulations drivers for attending and for those of you who had a good drive! :winner:

I don't want to say too much about the event because Troy will be along with another superb review of the race later this week and his videos say it better! But from me, a big thanks and congratulations!

Results...

Here is what SimResults has for the event.
http://simresults.net/170123-1ik/

Please look at each tab under "Results by Class" for Race 1, Race 2, Race 3. Each shows the status for a class. Those individual tab results are more important than overall and the overall is wrong -- it dropped 3 drivers from the list -- but they are included in the class results. If some position is incorrect in the individual class tabs, please send me a PM message describing what is wrong. If I have not received a PM by Wednesday, 25 January at 2300 GMT, then the results will be considered final.

Penalties...

I have not had time to review the replay start yet to see if anyone made contact with another car prior to the green. If you know you didn't, no worries. If you did, we'll apply the penalty next event you run.

Since the live admin was unavailable for today's race (cough) it looks like the AI race police stepped in to cover. You can look in the Race drop down menu for Race Penalties and you'll see some drivers jumped the start and some cut the track, and were recognized by the AI enforcement. :). So no more action from me.

Event 3...

Next up is LeMans on Sunday, 5 February from 1600 GMT to 1800 GMT. I'll have the event information on it ready in a few minutes.

J-P. H.   
8 hours ago, Doug Atkinson said:

Congratulations drivers for attending and for those of you who had a good drive! :winner:

I don't want to say too much about the event because Troy will be along with another superb review of the race later this week and his videos say it better! But from me, a big thanks and congratulations!

Results...

Here is what SimResults has for the event.
http://simresults.net/170123-1ik/

Please look at each tab under "Results by Class" for Race 1, Race 2, Race 3. Each shows the status for a class. Those individual tab results are more important than overall and the overall is wrong -- it dropped 3 drivers from the list -- but they are included in the class results. If some position is incorrect in the individual class tabs, please send me a PM message describing what is wrong. If I have not received a PM by Wednesday, 25 January at 2300 GMT, then the results will be considered final.

Penalties...

I have not had time to review the replay start yet to see if anyone made contact with another car prior to the green. If you know you didn't, no worries. If you did, we'll apply the penalty next event you run.

Since the live admin was unavailable for today's race (cough) it looks like the AI race police stepped in to cover. You can look in the Race drop down menu for Race Penalties and you'll see some drivers jumped the start and some cut the track, and were recognized by the AI enforcement. :). So no more action from me.

Event 3...

Next up is LeMans on Sunday, 5 February from 1600 GMT to 1800 GMT. I'll have the event information on it ready in a few minutes.

Well Doug, if you see, the penalty for Manuel and me was for no reason.

As i said, The game shortly said that i had Manuel to pass (he was in P20 or so, i was in P2). Crossing the line i got that penalty from the AI cause i passed a car.

I just checked the replay. I didn´t overtake any car. Don´t know if theres a bug with that or if rfactor2 want to have a exiting race for me. But that was just bad from the AI :(

Roenie   
On 23/01/2017 at 2:29 AM, Troy_Uyan said:

Thanks for the replay + race video, nice work again, it's almost more fun to watch the video than to actually race. The collision you missed that caused my front bumper/wing to go airborn I believe can be found in lap 15 on the back straight (at Kettle Bottoms).

goon   

I'm relieved to see that I'm not the only LMP having a tough time in traffic, and no fault of the GTs. My main aim for this was to finish without any controversy, but 30 minutes in I made a stupid, impatient move again, and tapped the back of one of the BMWs on the entry to Carousel, and we both spun to the gravel. Not sure who, luckily Troy missed it for the video, but whoever it was I can only apologise. It's 100% LMP's responsibility to pass cleanly.

I was so angry with myself I was on the verge of quitting before resolving it was the last time I would need to learn this lesson. For the rest of the race I was much more circumspect, losing a place twice making sure I didn't mess up a pass. I'm much happier with it that way.

I drove two roughly equal stints on medium tyres, but towards the end of the second one I was seriously short on fuel. For the last 10 minutes I had the boost turned right down, and was short shifting and lifting and coasting like mad, frantically trying to work out if I could stretch the fuel to the end. I think Ricardo Boeckmann was closing me fast, and I knew he was going to pass me anyway, so wasn't too disappointed when he passed me. I could then see a healthy gap to James Andrew and did some serious coasting, watching the gap and working out my fuel margin. On the last lap I eventually passed in to sufficient fuel, and picked up the pace for the last 3/4 lap. As i crossed the line the fuel meter ticked down to 0.5 litres!  I ran out of fuel before I could make the pits after the checkered flag flew. Phew!

My race report:

Q: We did run a Q this time, and it was easy. A 2.02.1 with a gap of 1.2 seconds to the next car. A complete other setup then the race, with everything maxed out :)

R: In the beginning i was running comfortable at first position for about 5/6 laps, but then Don marched up to the first position with a much faster pace. I was thinking, he is running other strategies, otherwise he cannot run that fast. We will see him later, i thought. 

After my late stop (minute 75/80 somewhere), Don was just 15 seconds behind me. He was catching up pretty fast, so i decided to change some settings to get more speed (more fuel usage, i had some spare) to keep the gap at about 8 seconds to end first! :)

Up to the next, re-thinking about strategies and weather conditions 

On 20/01/2017 at 11:54 PM, GeorgeManousakis said:

Np. Let me know if the ffb feels better after you 've done.

Have to say I felt no difference at all. I tried moving the incrementor up to 3 times without it changing the feel at all. I also tried selecting different Power Steering settings in the 'TUNING' option, but that gave no better fidelity, just made the steering harder or softer to turn. So as I found out this weekend, I still have no idea when my wheels are locking up under braking, yet kerb signals are as strong as expected to be, track surface undulations were pretty much non-existent. I have the URD mod so I'm going to try out their version of the Aston on Rd America just to see if there is a difference.

edit: Forgot to mention that when using the FFB app, the original setting I made years ago was the correct setting, with the FFB yellow bar not quite going into the red, but just maxing out on mid cornering. Not sure if its a combination of car and track but I'm going to have to investigate this further. I've just tried the URD AM and it is pretty much the same as the Enduracers mod in terms of FFB and feel. Very little and can't tell when the wheels are locking or when the rear is slipping until I see it (which is too late!)

By comparison, the feel is fantastic in both Assetto Corsa and Automobilista, and I mean fantastic.

Prompted by Richard's report above... i'll share my perspective.

As for different strategy, here's the background: At Suzuka, I was able to achieve a decent pace with minimal fuel burn, so i went with no-pit stop.  It was a rather boring race ... just maintain a steady pace and avoid incidents. I could not really fight for position without compromising the strategy.... but was still able to get third.

Practicing for Road America, i found two different strategies that were competitive.  One was 'splash and dash', while the other was more aggressive (softs and hi boost).  Yea, it meant more time in pits for tyres and fuel, but figured different strategy would be more exciting than my 'boring' race at Suzuka.  Plus, I figured Richard would repeat the 'splash and dash'.  He seemed too comfortable at Suzuka, so I hoped I could catch him napping.

My qualify performance was poor.  Just could not get the clean lap that I needed.  This was a setback for my race strategy.  Starting mid pack, so I had a number of GTs in front of me.  I made my way to the front, but took longer than I could afford.  I think I had something like 17-18s lead when I pitted after halfway point of race... I did not hit the target lead that I set to offset the additional time in pit, so knew i had to really push in second half of race.  After the cycle of pit stops, I was 2nd . . . as Richard says, I think his lead was around 15s.  All I was thinking .."it's hammer time"... :)  The car felt really good.  Going full tilt for duration of race was hypnotic... track was rubbering in nicely...  Softs were at optimal temp... fuel load was minimal and setting fast lap times.   Despite knowing that I was going to fall short (unless Richard stumbles), I was having a blast.

I think I closed to within 5s with 2 laps remaining... and came to realization that there was not enough time left, and not wanting to risk a race ending crash in the final laps, I backed off to protect the position.

In hindsight, a better qual position would have helped build a stronger lead in first half of race, and enabled a fight for the GT win.

All in all, very happy with this race.  Best race I've had in a while.  And hats off to Richard for another win.

On 24-1-2017 at 5:51 PM, Lonestar29 said:

Prompted by Richard's report above... i'll share my perspective.

My qualify performance was poor.  Just could not get the clean lap that I needed.  This was a setback for my race strategy.  

Check! If you had a good qualifing, then you should able to win it indeed. The pace was good enough indeed.