Doug Atkinson

SCES EnduRacers - Event 2: Road America

Do you guys use the pedaloverlay plugin that shows the ffb clipping? I adjust the car-specific-ffb-mult according to that in every track. If i don't do that i will have a very strong ffb in some tracks and very numb in others. In both cases ffb is not good. Don't make the mistake and think that you set that one time per car and thats it. Track layout, grip, characteristics and all kind of different things can make a huge impact on our wheel's ffb.

You NEED to adjust that in every track you go. Even when you set up the car during practice. For example when i need to get caster up for set up purpose i always need to lower the car-specific-ffb-mult a little because it will produce more force with the higher caster and it will start clipping.

I've downloaded and installed that app @GeorgeManousakis but have no idea how to interpret it beyond seeing the pedal pressures and the yellow vertical bar move up and down. I guess that is the FFB. Sometimes like along a straight there is no yellow bar at all and subsequently no feeling of road surface from the wheel at that time (I've just been using it on Road America we're using on Sundays race). I'm not sure how to interpret what I'm seeing or know what I should be seeing when FFB is set correctly. How do you do it George?

CalSinl   

Hello everyone.

A serious fault on the pc motherboard and hdd, prevented me from attending Suzuka.

If the organization allows it, I will try to take part in the Road America.

Thanks.

22 minutes ago, CalSinl said:

Hello everyone.

A serious fault on the pc motherboard and hdd, prevented me from attending Suzuka.

If the organization allows it, I will try to take part in the Road America.

Thanks.

Sure CalSinl, hope you can join us.

5 hours ago, not_him_59 said:

I've downloaded and installed that app @GeorgeManousakis but have no idea how to interpret it beyond seeing the pedal pressures and the yellow vertical bar move up and down. I guess that is the FFB. Sometimes like along a straight there is no yellow bar at all and subsequently no feeling of road surface from the wheel at that time (I've just been using it on Road America we're using on Sundays race). I'm not sure how to interpret what I'm seeing or know what I should be seeing when FFB is set correctly. How do you do it George?

That vertical bar (the one that is far to the right, the other 3 are the pedals) turns red when it reach its max setting. That means the ffb is maxed out and everything above that is making the ffb info on the wheel dead. From the other end now, if that vertical bar is very low you are not getting enough informations for the ffb and you are missing serious ffb feel.

Adjust the car-specific-ffb-mult until you see the vertical bar reaching slightly the max point (turns red) at the part of the track that has the highest force on the wheel. Depending on your wheel, settings, brand , torque etc that value can have big differences in value. For example i have found the optimal setting for different wheels and mods from 1.80 until 0.40. So dont be afraid to change that value . 

One important info. Do not ride kerbs when you try to adjust car-specific-ffb-mult. The moment you go over kerbs the ffb is maxed out and you will see the vertical bar turns red. So when you test that, don't ride over the kerbs for the setting to be correct.

I hope this help.

We got the safety car out of the repair garage :) so it will be in the front of the field for Road America.

Roll off the grid slowly and carefully for the formation lap.

Get in single file, 3 cars apart.

Once you cross the start / finish line, your race is on.

Two Important notes

1) do not pass before you get to the start / finish line

2) do not make contact with another car before the start / finish line

Have you made any tests on the safety car? I don't "trust" the behavior neither the driving of safety cars (sadden direction changes, sadden braking, acceleration etc).

2 hours ago, GeorgeManousakis said:

Have you made any tests on the safety car? I don't "trust" the behavior neither the driving of safety cars (sadden direction changes, sadden braking, acceleration etc).

Yes. It is non-collidable.

Roenie   

So, my mother is in the country unannounced and shows up at my door wanting to go for a walk even though I told her I wouldn't have time today. Knowing about the race and what games mean to me, she goes: "so on a beautiful day like this you just spend your time indoors again? Such a waste."

:banghead:  :cuss: 

I'm well in my thirties and don't like disrespect so I sent her packing. :wave:I need to prepare for the race. How's that for commitment, Jon?

I also need to get my groceries, cook and do more laundry before monday, etc. As a hard working man my "me" time is both scarce and sacred. So let's have a great race and let's not wreck each other's cars today.

6 hours ago, Matthias said:

SC throws out a green,green,green, does it?

Yes. But we don't want any passing prior to the start / finish line.

Server reboot in 10 minutes

Join Teamspeak after reboot for new server password:
simhqmotorsports.net/race-comms/

Qualifying in 25 minutes

Hah! Just as the field was in the last corner, our neighborhood had power loss. Fortunately the rF2 and TS3 server aren't through my home connection so have a good race and I will be there when the sparks return.

3 things:   do not pass bevor Start/Finish , 3 Car lenght Separation and Singlefile....  i dont know wheres the stupid problem by some guys understand 3 simple things...  

Waste of time

Roenie   

DNF.

Q: Couldn't get one lap in without GTs slowing me down. (Not complaining, just unlucky.) P5. Can't we do two quali sessions, one for LMPs and one for all types of GT?

Race: First laps I'm chasing the LMPs in front and closing in, then some GTs don't hold their line and I lost a lot of time compared to the leaders. One particularly painful moment at the last corner leading onto the s/f straight undid all my work up to that point. Around lap 13 on the back straight where it bends left I had a big speed difference to a GT in front. The GT was kind of in the middle of the track so I was unsure what side to take. At this point I am still on the left side as I normally would be and closing in fast. Where the straight bends left I expect the GT to turn in, to the left (the braking zone is on the left of the track) so I go to the outside line so that the GT can simply turn in. The GT didn't turn in but stayed wide. Maybe he thought i was planning to take the inside and took initiative to leave room (never take the initiative). Or maybe I misjudged the situation (I need to see a replay) but I ended up rear ending the GT hard. Lost my front wing, race over. Sorry to hit you, whoever it was. I should've slowed down because of the uncertainty, a car in the middle.

I went to the pits, but forgot to request the stop. No crew ready so I basically did a drive through. I made it round the track to try again. This time I did request the stop, but again driving through the pit lane there was no indication of where I should stop or where my crew was. Race over. I don't know what happened there. Regardless, it was still too early to get a full tank and be able to finish the race with it, so I would've had to stop again.

The GTs need to stop giving room to the LMPs and just always drive the normal racing line. Never take ANY initiative.
Moving over is wrong and it has to stop. It leads to guesswork and accidents. It's like driving through a minefield out there.

If most of you move over half the time, as an LMP driver how do I know if you're going to move over or not?

LMPs (myself included!) need to stay far enough behind until there's a straight where they can safely out accelerate the GT car.
Currently they don't, so as an LMP driver you feel like you are forced to take too much risk in order to keep up with other LMPs.
That in turn scares the GTs and leads to them moving over to save their lives, only making matters worse.

Emery   

I was sad to see two of my GT competitors have disconnects.  :sigh:

Race-wise, it went pretty much as expected, though I had a miscommunication with the pit crew.  Told them to not change tires and they changed the rears, LOL!

Yeah, that's player error.

10 minutes ago, Roenie said:

The GTs need to stop giving room to the LMPs and just always drive the normal racing line. Never take ANY initiative.
Moving over is wrong and it has to stop. It leads to guesswork and accidents. It's like driving through a minefield out there.
LMPs need to stay far enough behind until there's a straight where they can safely out accelerate the GT car.
Currently they don't, so as an LMP driver you feel like you are forced to take too much risk in order to keep up.
That in turn scares the GTs and leads to them moving over to save their lives, only making matters worse.

This ^

Had a great race today and a few good tussles, but got undone by some very clumsy overtaking by other GTs, not mentioning any names...

I very much agree with what Roenie says, and it is part of the skill of multi-class racing that drivers learn to overtake safely and cleanly not at the first half opportunity. But I don't want this post to be about a complaint because I so thoroughly enjoyed the racing today and the finishing :P and I'm really happy to have found this place to race. Thankyou guys for accepting me and hope to have lots of fun races with you into the future.:thumbsup:

I first of all need to apologise to poor old Spencer Battersby who, on Lap 8, was trying his best to let a bunch of annoying LMPs through at the start of sector 2, when I managed to lose my rear over a bump, slid to the inside, then completely out of control across the track and collected him. I can't put into words how mortified I was. I had actually decided not to go for the pass, even though you were leaving the inside lane free, but must have unsettled my car with the late braking. Actually was convinced I'd had a tap from behind but no. All my own fault and I'm so sorry you were taken out there.

I did see a lot of GT cars trying to give space or move over. Peter Kurucz actually seemed to get scared with me waiting behind him and stood on the brakes in an acceleration zone. I missed him but was out of shape and spun off the track into the wall. Please GT cars: DRIVE YOUR LAP! Once we get alongside, just brake 5 metres earlier or ease back to 90% throttle, but don't take a different line or brake suddenly.

EDIT: Oh, and while I remember, on the formation lap, as we were all lined up in pairs and the instructions on-screen differed from our usual routine, Cabernet knocked me off the track taking the inside of a bend which I was occupying. I regained the spot in the queue by the end of the lap, and have no upset towards him, but it served to highlight that there was confusion between staying single file or following on-screen safety car instructions. I think I was wrong and should have gone single file, but hey. Something to think about.

Apologies to Jordy Zwiers . . . my fault for you off in turn 8 carousel on the penultimate lap.  i was hanging out on left to let you pass on entrance to the turn.  i should have just held the racing line.:sigh:

Glad it did not affect your overall position.

Staniol   

1 hour ago, James_Andrew said:

I did see a lot of GT cars trying to give space or move over. Peter Kurucz actually seemed to get scared with me waiting behind him and stood on the brakes in an acceleration zone. I missed him but was out of shape and spun off the track into the wall. Please GT cars: DRIVE YOUR LAP! Once we get alongside, just brake 5 metres earlier or ease back to 90% throttle, but don't take a different line or brake suddenly.

Hi, yep, I remember the situation *nods*, sorry for that. At that point I think I had multiple issues and was already frustrated.

I don't think the situation is black and white, both groups need to adopt an learn. I tried to keep my line many times, but due to some dive bombing, I learned to fear the LMPs, and thought better for everyone to give way. I understand it just makes it more confusing, will avoid that.

At that situation, as far as I remember, I had the strange feeling of loosing grip in the back, is it something possible or it was just me being nervous? Can be multiple reasons, my tires were already pretty abused, as I had tom make an earlier stop due to a damage, so strategy changed and the 2 stint was loooong.

Anyway, it was my mistake, apologies.

Apart from this, it was a great race for me. Great thanks to Lonestar29 for sharing his setup, I felt much safer in the car with good control. My only goal was to finish the race without hitting anyone, almost succeed. :)

Hopefully I will cause less problems next time.

First, the start situation is a mess.

Rules are single file with 3 car seperation.
Settings (formation lap) is double file, and therefore you need to follow the car 2 positions in front of you.

About the LMP's, it happens me often that a LMP does a late move at the inside of the corner and forces me to go wide, give room and time loss.

The lmp's are doing also a very late braking actions, for us a GT, that is looking as a dive bomb, and therefore we are reacting on that situation and do weird moves?  At the end the LMP does not do the overtake, and the GT is doing weird stuf. That happens to me also.

and yes, some GT's did some weird moves, i saw it myself. They should stop doing that.

Coutie   

Race was fine for me. I switched to medium tires and they had no grip, so my pace was way off for the second half of the race. I usually just turn in early if I think the LMP is going to divebomb me. I lose a little time, but not as much if I was forced wide.

Piotr   

It started well. But it lasted only 9 laps. I got spun by GT I was lapping. Hit the wall, had to pit early to fix the car. Race for positions was over, but I lasted till the end just to gain the experience.

See you guys in two weeks.

EDIT: About pace lap. I don't understand why we have go through all that confusions. Let's get standing start and agree from which corner exit we are racing. No need for "green green green", no confusing messages from game about double file, no confusions from which point of the main straight we are accelerating

archii16   
1 hour ago, Lonestar29 said:

Apologies to Jordy Zwiers . . . my fault for you off in turn 8 carousel on the penultimate lap.  i was hanging out on left to let you pass on entrance to the turn.  i should have just held the racing line.:sigh:

Glad it did not affect your overall position.

No problem, I got suprised too, it happens :)

Well, that was my first ever rFactor 2 race! I came so unprepared, I forgot it was raceday today. So no practice on a track that I barely know, on a game I never really played before, in a 90 minute race... what could possibly go wrong

Im fairly suprised with the result I got, to say the least. I prepared for the worst, to end last. I am new to rFactor 2 and I did not have any practice for this race, so to qualify third without managing a clean lap was a surpise. I didnt even know how to turn on the virtual mirror untill Jon helped me out :D. I could keep pace with second place, but he got a penalty for some reason so I moved up to second place. Scalet was pressurizing me all the time, but I managed to avoid any mistakes untill the last part of the race, so I kept second. Because I had no practice I was overloaded by quite a bit, as I dont even know how the pit system works >.< In the race I noticed I had way too much fuel, but I have no idea how to change the amount of fuel you want to refill. Somehow in all this chaos I ended up in P2. My first race couldnt start much better, really thought I was gonna end up last in the LMP2 class. Thanks for the race guys :)