Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nhill40

Anyone else despise the Formula Jr?

4 posts in this topic

I love R3E and feel the physics quality have been wrongly maligned for some time now...except for one car: the Formula Jr!  Anyone else really not care for this one?

There's just no feel to it...FFB feels "canned" to me (especially when you drive it back to back with the Formula Trainer in AMS, which feels wonderfully alive and dynamic).  Very strange when you consider I own a good half of the cars in R3E and would rate the rest of them between "good" and "great" - the FJr sticks out like a sore thumb.

Maybe it's just me though...?

Hmm, well they've fixed something - F Jr feels much, much better now.  Physics/FFB now feel right in line with the other R3E content.

I scanned the changelog and didn't really see anything specifically pertaining to this car, so maybe this is just the result of some general physics/FFB improvements to the game.  Whatever they did, it worked - the car is much more fun to drive now (and, in a good way, harder to control).

I still favor the F Novice models in AMS to R3E's F Jr, but the F Jr is still a lot of fun to drive now.

It would seem to me with their wonderfully rounded content lineup, R3E has a real opportunity to create some kind of career mode module.  You could go from F Jr -> F4 -> F3 -> F2 -> F1 with plenty of dynamic branching along the way ("hmm, didn't quite finish too strong in F2?  F1 promotion might not be in the cards, but check out these F US and sportscar seat offes...").

I'm not sure how proud I am of what I'm about to say, but I think there are quite a few people who, like me, might have "more money than sense" as the saying goes and would be willing to fork out money for such a module on a DLC basis.  Just sayin'... :)

It's still a junk car. I was hopeing for something more like the skip barber or the formula trainer from Project Cars (less PC and more SB2000). But instead it is a wingless entry formula. There is a horrible economy lag on the throttle, the car is way to wide and its impossible to wreck. About the only thing I like about R3E is the sound and car bounce.

Im hoping that PC2 fixes their broken physics/tire model but until then it looks like im stuck with iRacing.

I hate to say it, but I'm afraid Master is right - this is not Sector3's best work.  I still believe it's been much improved, but I've taken a good number of laps in it across a multitude of tracks over the past week and it's found its way back onto my "not good" list.  Not as bad as before, but it still feels very "canned" - you really can't feel the limit approaching until you are in a severe understeer situation (and setup changes to counter this seem to do nothing more than to make the back end squirrelly).

Oh well...I guess I will just keep an eye on the changelogs for an indication they might have overhauled the physics on this one, but I'll be sticking to the F4 when I want an entry-level open wheel experience in R3E.