Mudcat

How's the VR in...?

21 posts in this topic

Finally got my VR set in last week and while I wait for the tripods i ordered to arrive was wonder everyone's thoughts on the VR that is available in racing titles, how good the VR aspect is.  Off the top of my head I know DiRT Rally, pCars, AC all have some kind of VR support, any I'm missing and how good are they?

Congrats, which set did you get?

I've heard AC is pretty amazing in VR.  I know for me that's the first title I would be firing up if/when I get my hands on one.

Vr support is great in all sims as long as you can maintain the fps. 

7 hours ago, nhill40 said:

Congrats, which set did you get?

Picked up the Vive

Nice!  Let us know what you think...so the rest of us can be jealous! :hahaha:

my biggest fear is that it's just going to make me vomit rofl

Ha, yeah - that has been my #1 (non-financial) reason for not jumping in yet.  If it makes you feel better, based on my own research, I think the nausea symptoms are quite rare.  Yeah, it happens and, when it does, those afflicted are not shy about taking to the web to bemoan their ill luck (which is exactly what I would do, too!), but the vast majority of users are just fine.

It will not happen with driving because you always know where you are going and you have a solid reference point in the chair you sit in and the wheel you hold. I actually haven´t read any reports whatsoever about nausea while driving. I think motion sickness would be less then irl because the limited fov. That is one trick developers emply to limit the fov when turning in other genres.

If you run fps games however and use traditional movements where the view is the same as in real life but control movement differs that can cause issues for some. Thus most games use teleportation and locomotion and other cheap tricks. A bit frustrating for one that managed the trick to get the brain to realize it´s not real. I never got sick before that but for sure I got some balance issues when standing. Windlands was very challenging the first 30 minutes before I learned the ropes. 

Getting in a flatspin in a P51 make me get abit as uneasy in the stomach as I suppose I would irl but as soon as I get out of it I am fine. Same with doing advanced movements in chopper where I go in three directions at once. But some get sick and is sick for hours after kind of fascinating how we can react so differenly.

Pär, my experience, US Navy simulators research and the recent PS4 driveclub VR all show that driving games are among the worst possible use case for current VR technology.

Personally I tried Assetto Corsa and rF2 with Rift DK2 and I was sick within 5 minutes. And that has nothing to do with latency or FPS. Elite dangerous or space sims and demos on the other hand were completely fine.

That weird Cosimo flight sims for sure where you move in more directions and have less reference points should be more challenging.  Wish you could try it on my setup maybe DK  2 had some issues?  I  haven't tried psvr in drive club either.  

My CV1 experience with AC and pCARS was all positive. I had quite a number of wow! moments. But after exploring those moments for variuos cars and locations I actully put it aside and use my triple screens. The reasons are in resolution and physical ergonomics... and a bit of "paranoia"

resolution - I 'pimped up' pixels in ini file, it's ok for general experience but know way to read the dials or on screen apps with neccesary comfort

ergonomics - it's not heavy, but still you have something hanging over your face ;-) which get even worse after 30 minutes as there is some heat building up in it.

Concluding - I fully enjoy using VR in shorter drivers, up to 30 minutes. I use it every time AC adds new DLCs. But if consider driving for longer periods I will rather stick to monitors

"paranoia" - while it's great to put yourself into this whole immersion,  after I while I start to feel uncomfortable being fully cut off from both visual and sound inputs from real world "what if there is brutal burglar standing behind me with a big knife and while I joyfully play the simgame he is contemplating from which side to start cutting my throat... as he is already done with my family", hehe of course nothing as dramatic goes through my head but I somehow feel better being able to have part of senses opened to real world, or not being cut from them for longer time

Well guess i'll find out soon enough, thanks for the input :thumbsup: Probably give pCars and DiRT Rally a go first but only since AC i think had native support for the Rift, not Vive, i'll still give it a go later of course. Just hoping those tri-pods get here before the snow does, well at least I tested everything out while i was waiting.

I would be interested to hear how easy (or difficult) or how practical it is to switch back and forth between VR set and monitor, once a person get used to the VR on a daily basis. Is it annoying and hard to switch back and forth and get used to the "other" mode or is it ok? 

The reason I'm asking because I can't see my self spending hours wearing the head set. And if the on-track performance suffers because of this new option on driving then I would have a problem justifying the purchase. It would be another reason to wait for more advanced versions?.

Native support don´t mean much. I have had some issues with the Rift in AC but not Vive. Essentially they are the same so it´s just ev drms preventing one to not work.

There is no problem to switch at all. I don´t believe you will be faster or slower with any. You will get stuck with your inabilitys sooner orlater :)  Sure on a new track the VR have benefits because you can judge distances and get a more natural feel for the elevations and position of the car particularly for open wheelers but you learn that in time in 2D as well.

12 hours ago, Oqvist said:

There is no problem to switch at all.

+1

I have no problem switching back and forth.

11 hours ago, Piotr said:

+1

I have no problem switching back and forth.

Well, that is a plus because I keep reading ppl writing (Claiming) that they will never go back to triple screen let alone a single one, now that they enjoy their VR set.

3 minutes ago, Jon_Uyan said:

Well, that is a plus because I keep reading ppl writing (Claiming) that they will never go back to triple screen let alone a single one, now that they enjoy their VR set.

Well that could very well be true for them, for instance I wouldn't fly a flight sim without TrackIR after getting it, but for driving at least I never felt the same way. We shall see what VR does to that equation for me though.

6 hours ago, Jon_Uyan said:

Well that is a wish. I am in that camp as well. It really sucks running on a 2D monitor but endurance racing is not hot in sims with VR support and iRacing is just to expensive now that I invested in osw and VR ;)

On 1/3/2017 at 9:01 AM, nhill40 said:

Nice!  Let us know what you think...so the rest of us can be jealous! :hahaha:

So finally got around to trying it out some, aka sent the kids to my parents house for the day. Couldn't get DiRT Rally or AC to work in anything other than the Vive Theater mode, so went to try pCars. Worked good, was pretty nice, but I did feel the sickness creeping in pretty fast with it. So to sum up, for the most part it was a total bust rofl

Some games/sims are obviously more vomit-inducing than others, I felt really bad when I first got my Rift and the feeling would last hours after I took it off.

I will say however, that it is just a case of building up the time and getting used to it before the feeling goes away.  I'd also recommend a fan blowing in your face gently, it's a massive help and often keeps the sick feeling away.....not sure why it works but many people in addition to me have reported that it's a great way of getting to grips with it.

Hey @Mudcat

any chance of an update? You've had a good 3 months now since your first report, hopefully you'll have a more thorough experience to recount.