F19_CoNa

Nico Rosberg retiring

Matthias   

That was really surprising.

One option is Pascal Wehrlein, but i don't like that.

Verstappen is the only one, who can fight against Hamilton, but i am afraid that is impossible.

nhill40   

I am only a Nico fan in the sense that I prefer him to Hamilton, but I have a lot of respect for this move.  I think it often takes more maturity and self-awareness to look at your long term life goals and be able to say "I think I'm done with this phase of my life" than it does to just keep blindly plugging away at whatever you're doing just because "it's what you do".

It will be really interesting to see what Merc does with that seat.  My own personal observation is that Hamilton doesn't have the type of psychology that is going to want to see someone competitive in that car.  Will the team comply and hire a stiff, or will they try to make a splash and try to land someone who is a legitimate threat to Hamilton?

A lot of high hopes in the fan community right now that 2017 will be the year that finally shuffles the deck and breaks the Merc stranglehold on the championship...I hate to say it, but I'm highly skeptical we'll see much of a shake up - I don't see anyone touching Merc.

Matthias   

Booring? No that's not the case.

But racing against Michael Schumacher, or Lewis Hamilton was more mentaly exhausting, than we all expected.

Nico allways had this dream, to be world champion. Now that is no dream anymore. 

So better retire, when you are on top.

Just to make it clear, I am really interested in, how he would have performed next year.

But i can understand him too.

Jon_Uyan   
8 minutes ago, Matthias said:

I am really interested in, how he would have performed next year.

Maybe Nico will not be there but that question applies to all drivers now that we have brand new cars next season everybody has to adapt to. Some will struggle more than others for sure. Next year will be the most exciting yet? We'll see. 

Matthias   

Yeah, looking forward to next saison. ;-)

I want to add hamilton reaction:

Attending the same FIA prizegiving gala at which Rosberg announced he is retiring, Hamilton was quoted by Reuters as saying: “This is the first time he’s won in 18 years, hence why it was not a surprise that he decided to stop.

no comment :nope:

nhill40   
14 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Yeah, looking forward to next saison. ;-)

I want to add hamilton reaction:

Attending the same FIA prizegiving gala at which Rosberg announced he is retiring, Hamilton was quoted by Reuters as saying: “This is the first time he’s won in 18 years, hence why it was not a surprise that he decided to stop.

no comment :nope:

Oh, brother.  :duh:

I'm not sure I've ever seen someone so talented, yet so insecure as Lewis.

He also managed to get in a dig at Vettel and Alonso:

“I’ve never been a driver to ever request – I know a lot of the other drivers, Sebastian [Vettel], Fernando [Alonso], make sure that’s in their contract.  I’ve just always asked to have equal rights."

I like Hamilton a little less every year, I think.

Jon_Uyan   
3 minutes ago, nhill40 said:

I'm not sure I've ever seen someone so talented, yet so insecure as Lewis.

@Nick, I think you meant to say immature and outright childish. ;)

goon   

I have a personal bet on Button at Toyota for the first three races (at least) in WEC, and Rosberg popping up in a Porsche. 

Those comments from Hamilton vindicate my feelings of just not liking him very much. What a plum.

Piotr   

I just think it must have been a really 'tough' contract negotiations, with Toto Wolff representing both employee and employer :neaner:

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12472/10693533/no-valtteri-bottas-toto-wolff-conflict-of-interest-concerns-for-mercedes

I think Bottas has nowhere to hide now. He better give Hamilton a good run for the money or his reputation will sink with no likely further chances.