Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PreacherMan

How Approachable is AC?

10 posts in this topic

I'm kind of working my way through pCARS for the moment.  I got started in motorsports gaming with the SimBin titles.  For a guy who just kind of drives along without wanting the bleeding-edge realism, how scalable is AC?  I'm not looking for NFS simplicity, but I'm not wanting something I that uses realism like family-size Fun Eraser (I'm looking at you, DCS World...)

How 'bout it?

It is not the 'gamiest' of games single player is not the best, but for the feeling of driving and being connected to the road and machine it is excellent. Bought it in early access when you only had hotlap style challenges. Jumped in a lotus 49 and was instantly addicted. There is a lot of depth to the simulation of the car and the setups you can choose, however the stock setups are generally good and you can just get in and drive. None of the crazy learning curve of DCS, the learning curve is there but in a good way. 

On the whole i'd say that AC fits your brief quite nicely.  AC's real strong point is in the driving model.  It's the kind of sim that you can just drive without any real purpose and get a lot of satisfaction just from turning laps and getting faster.  The cars are easy(ish) to learn but quite nuanced so it's a takes time to master.  The cars feel very realistic to drive but in a natural way.  All the content in the game is exceptional quality.  There's a also a fair bit of mod content if you're into that kind of thing.

AC is less good at simulating race environments and rules.  The damage model is basic, AI is fairly average, MP can be hit and miss.  There's a career mode of sorts but it's not terribly enthralling.   Ultimately AC is a fantastic driving simulator with the bare bones of a 'racing experience' cobbled round it.

From the sound of it, your probably not too hung about most of this so I suspect you would get a lot out of it.  The reason most of us enjoy AC is because it's just so enjoyable to drive.

If you like hotlapping or racing online and dislike racing in bad conditions it´s a good choice :) Tbh was a long time since I tried racing against AI may have improved for all I know.

Do you have a budget for VR? Both Assetto and P Cars is amazing in VR. 

1 hour ago, Darren_Blythe said:

On the whole i'd say that AC fits your brief quite nicely.  AC's real strong point is in the driving model.  It's the kind of sim that you can just drive without any real purpose and get a lot of satisfaction just from turning laps and getting faster.  The cars are easy(ish) to learn but quite nuanced so it's a takes time to master.  The cars feel very realistic to drive but in a natural way.  All the content in the game is exceptional quality.  There's a also a fair bit of mod content if you're into that kind of thing.

AC is less good at simulating race environments and rules.  The damage model is basic, AI is fairly average, MP can be hit and miss.  There's a career mode of sorts but it's not terribly enthralling.   Ultimately AC is a fantastic driving simulator with the bare bones of a 'racing experience' cobbled round it.

From the sound of it, your probably not too hung about most of this so I suspect you would get a lot out of it.  The reason most of us enjoy AC is because it's just so enjoyable to drive.

^ Seconded!  DB nailed it, IMO...

Only thing I would add because you used the phrase that you're "working your way through pCars", I'm assuming you are talking about career mode?  My advice to you regarding AC's career mode would be to temper your expectations.  Yes, there is technically a "career mode", but I find it quite pointless/un-engaging myself.

If you like pCARS you should also like AC. Certainly less fiddling around to get going in AC than pCARS, Automobilista, or rF2. Can't speak for RRE3 because I don't have that much time in it. All the titles have (or will have) payware DLC so you have to be choosy whichever title you go for.

Instead of online weekly races or driving around offline in a vacuum, a tip of the hat to running Darren's weekly offline hotlap competition, So You Think You're Fast.

PreacherMan, I think you would enjoy it because of your schedule. You turn hotlaps and then upload them to the leaderboard... anytime the mood strikes and your time permits.

1 hour ago, Oqvist said:

If you like hotlapping or racing online and dislike racing in bad conditions it´s a good choice :) Tbh was a long time since I tried racing against AI may have improved for all I know.

Do you have a budget for VR? Both Assetto and P Cars is amazing in VR. 

Blind in one eye.  VR gives me a migraine like you would not believe.

Thanks, guys.  Figured for $30 on Steam, I literally cannot go wrong.