Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
arthur666

Driving VIR in Assetto Corsa made me very competent IRL :)

4 posts in this topic

You all may know that I had been testing Darren's early builds of VIR for more than a year.  I had driven up there a few times.  I knew the course pretty well, but never thought of myself as a particularly good driver.  Well, after taking countless laps on the final and near-final versions of virtual VIR, I've had another real trackday.  Friday I slapped some painter's tape on my Ford Fiesta ST company car, and took it to a HPDE trackday on the epic (and rarely used) Grand Course.

For a few days before, I drove the Abarth500 and Alfa Mito on Darren's Grand Course, since they are probably the closest things to my Fiesta.  Friday morning I pulled out of the paddock and into the grid lane.  The first thing I noticed is that I was totally calm on grid, none of the nervous jitters that I had experienced the first couple of times I driven there.  And on track, I immediately felt at home.  I was ready for every turn, my lines were more often than not, correct, and I was very comfortable with the car near the limit of traction, trail braking and steering with the throttle.  Instructor said I really knew the track well for someone who had only driven that section once, and a year ago.  I told him I'd had a little digital practice.  He said it shows.  At the last drive of the day, the sun was really bright and in our eyes at the top of the Patriot section, but I felt like I knew the track so well, that it was no problem to scan for the curbing and find the turns without being freaked out by low viz.

Being comfortable with the car and the track helped me focus on managing traffic and just having fun.  They moved me out of the beginner group and now I can drive solo.  He actually said I should look into eventually becoming an instructor myself, which I took as a huge compliment.  I don't think it's a realistic goal for me right now with my hectic life, but maybe if I end up being able to drive a lot more, in a few years I'll look into it. :) 

619.jpg

That's awesome @arthur666 congrats to you for the good driving and to @Darren_Blythe for the great job on the digital version.

Is the blind T10 as scary in real life as in the digital version? I've gone off there tons of times in iRacing when I miss turn in, it would probably be my most interesting corner to see if in real life there's any extra clues for braking and turn in.

Great job, Arthur!  Congrats and thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Thanks yall.

@kludger , T10 was not really scary in the Fiesta.  It is fairly blind, but if you are far right and turn in as soon as you see the curbing on the left, you'll be good.  Mustang GT however, was another story.  Had to get on the brakes a good bit to make it safe thru T10, since you get more speed going into 9 and its harder to get right and be stable/set for the turn.

EDIT:  I wanted to add that turn 5a is probably my favorite.  I stay left until the very end of the curbing between 5/5a, then head for the 5a apex while lifting.  It's really off camber there, so the car goes into a nice 4-wheel drift, and when you're pointed down the Snake, give it a lot of gas and off you go, charging up to the esses. :) 

I really love that Fiesta.  It's not a great daily car, but it is an amazing track toy.  Very friendly for sporty driving.