Sign in to follow this  
Piotr

Business ideas around Sim Racing

Piotr   

Closing on breaking into 50ies in couple of years.   Well, I am not yet commited to retire from my day job, but long years of working for greedy corporations in high stress environment are taking their toll,  in departments of health, energy and motivation. So I started to think about a life ahead and want to consider what I want to do wih it.

I heard about some lucky people who ended up doing what they enjoy and I wish I will become one of them in the future. Simracing being one of few things I enjoy in life make me think... Is there still a space to make an honest living from this?

Running  youtube channel is not on the list. I consider myself far from camera ready LOL

Any ideas of the product or the service that you think you are missing and you be ready to pay for? :yep:

Oqvist   

Invest in a 3D Printer and start selling clever cup holders or what not. What is missing in the market is somebody doing button plates with shifters for less then 500 euro so there should be some market there for those that want to use their own rims :)

Piotr   
1 hour ago, Darren_Blythe said:

Sorry Piotr,  If i had come up with a feasible idea i would be doing it already :D

Well, I was hoping  that cycling is the bigger thing for you, so you will drop the simracing ideas for it :neaner:

nhill40   

I definitely appreciate/respect the idea and motivation behind it, but I'm a little skeptical that there's much money to be made.  :(

If you step back you take the wider view and look at the money making opportunities around "video games" more generally, it's a very select handful of companies/people actually making money out of that industry.  When you pare that down to "sim racing", you have an extremely niche sub-market (probably really a sub-sub-market if you want to be honest about it) - the number of people worldwide who are consistently playing and investing money in sims has got to be shockingly small.

All that said, I do think Per is probably on the right trail in terms of, if there is some money to be made, pursuing something on the hardware side seems like a decent bet.  There are quite a few custom gadgets on the industry that strike me as being priced at extreme premiums...but, at the same time, you are going to be hard pressed to produce anything in high enough volume to cover your initial ramp-up costs (which is a likely explanation for the aforementioned highly-priced custom gadgets).

I kinda doubt there is much money in it, but a thought that has popped into my head more than once on the software side is I think there would be an appetite in the community for bolt-on "career modes" for the various sims out there in the market.  I am certainly not a game developer, but I am a professional software developer, so I think I have at least a better-than-average understanding of what such a venture would entail and I think it would be very do-able.  Not easy by any stretch (someone would have already done it if that were the case), but certainly not impossible.