Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PreacherMan

G29: Worth the Upgrade?

4 posts in this topic

I'm currently running a G27 because it is compatible with my PC and PS3 (yes, I still play with GT6).  However, I'm noticing the Logitech drivers and software are getting a bit...outdated.  The wheel works fine, but I'm curious if the G29 represents a large enough leap to sell my old G27 and buy one.  Any feedback from people who've run both and made the jump would be appreciated.  I'm more curious about PC functionality than I am about anything PlayStation-related.

I have only the G27, so I'm not technically qualified to answer...that said, I did a bit of research into the G29 when it first came out, and this assessment seems consistent with everything else I've read:

http://perfectsimracer.com/logitech-g29-vs-g27/

My impression is the G29 is really just a replacement for the G27 - i.e. Logitech marketing aside, the G29 holds the same price/features slot in the market as the G27 did.

Personally, I moved on from the G27 to a Thrustmaster TX (plus some add-on goodies like h-shifter and pedals) and I consider my new setup it a solid notch above the G27...but much more expensive.  If you are interested in upgrading from the G27, I would say start saving for a direct-drive wheel.  If you are simply interested in replacing the G27 (like perhaps yours is having technical issues), I think the G29 would be a great choice.

Thanks.  That helps a great deal, because my impression of the G29 was that it really wasn't a significant step upward, I just needed an outside opinion before I made a decision.  That helps.  I suppose until Windows says my software isn't compatible or the G27 breaks, I'll just keep it and save some money.

The G27 is a great wheel.  My son still uses mine - I hop over to his rig from time to time to do a side by side compare.  I do prefer my TX setup by a healthy margin, but it was a significant enough investment that I'd give it a lot of thought before doing it all over again.  If I was still running a G27, I'm pretty sure I'd rank investing a good cockpit as well as triple monitors ahead of a direct drive wheel.