Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SkateZilla

SimBin is Back...

15 posts in this topic

Ya, their already complaining how console will ruin it, lol...

I just wish they would make Race Pro backwards compatible already... was a great game/sim on 360 with problems due to lack of console power.

I can't speak on behalf of everyone in that thread, but from my own perspective, the whole Race Pro experience is *exactly* why I get nervous when I see traditional PC sim devs sniffing around the console market.

Do you know how the overwhelming majority of the mainstream gaming market/media viewed Race Pro?  It was "kinda like Forza, but really weird and ugly".  Among the sim community (the type of gamers that you'll find posting here at simhq), the sim is very respected as perhaps the most honest, purest attempt at bringing a sim to a console.  But, guess what?  You'll never hit your sales numbers by catering to that slim market, so the economics are going to push you into design decisions to make sure you don't get labeled "yet another weird/ugly Forza".

I don't mean to bash Forza.  In fact, I have enjoyed Forza and played the crap out of 1 thru 4 (and dabbled with 6)...but there is no question in my mind it's a totally different bird than rFactor/AC/Automobilista/etc.  I know from a player's perspective, I "grade" console titles on a much different set of criteria than what I would apply to a PC sim.

I understand the economics of it all and these devs are free do whatever they feel is going to help their bottom line...but it doesn't mean that, as primarily PC "simmer", I have to be happy about it.

I agree with you more then you'd think... as a console gamer I'm just use to the bashing... when we deserve good sims, good developers too. But I do agree with you, and don't like it...but I'm on the other side of the coin.

6 minutes ago, arthur666 said:

I would really love an updated GT Legends.

You read my mind. That would be a better niche for them then yet another sim with GT cars. Particularly for VR with the difference in scale of the cars being so massive. Why not GP Legends on top of that. 

4 hours ago, arthur666 said:

I would really love an updated GT Legends.

Yep.   But, I'm hoping they wouldn't mess with the gameplay much.

A big thumbs up to Arthur and Per's comments from me - modernized GTL and GPL are at the absolute top of my sim wishlist.

I understand the appeal of GT3 in both real racing as well as sim racing - I really do - but this conversation sums up my feeling on the current state of things:

Sim Racer A:  Hey, did you hear 'Sim X' came out with a new GT3 car today?

Sim Racer B:  Oh, really?  How does it compare to the other GT3's already in the sim?

Sim Racer A:  'Bout the same.

Sim Racer B:  How do they compare to the GT3's in 'Sim Y'?

Sim Racer A:  Also 'bout the same.

Sim Racer B:  OK.

GT3's are great for online pick-up racing - everyone can grab an (near) identically performing, well-balanced, well-behaved racecar bearing their favorite marque...but gawd this is starting to feel like cheese pizza for dinner for the 3rd month in a row.

6 minutes ago, SkateZilla said:

Wouldnt mind another ToCA

Ha, I've been playing the crap out of TOCA Race Driver 2 on the original Xbox!  Talk about "simcade done right" - still looks and plays great (fantastic gamepad controls, too).

AI in every race seems to be tuned so that you have to make a pass or two in the final few corners to hit your career goal - tons of fun!

with a controller yeah, but with a wheel I was gone by the end of the first lap.

To me, GRID Autosport felt exactly like ToCA.  I wasn't terribly impressed (Project CARS physics felt more like being behind the wheel than Autosport did), so I swapped it for something else I can't remember.