Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nhill40

This is a very under-rated sim

4 posts in this topic

Having spent my first serious time in R3E, I'm ready to say it - this sim is highly under-rated in the sim racing community.  I don't really hear a lot of people going out of their way to bash R3E, but I certainly don't think it gets its fair share of credit either.

The sounds are second-to-none; the visuals are very, very good; the content is of very uniform quality and covers a very nice spread (though it can get a bit on the pricey side).  Most importantly though, I think the physics are really quite refined.  One thing I've noticed in R3E is that it's entirely possible to "overdrive" - and that's not something you can say for every sim (even some of the good ones). 

In a lot of sims, "overdrive" seems to = spin (or some other inevitable off-track catastrophe)...in R3E, depending on the particular circumstance, you can get to the point where the car is beyond the limit, but still controllable.  You'll be punished in terms of a poor laptime of course but, with the proper correction techniques, you can bring the car back.

I think this indicates a level of physics sophistication that goes above and beyond what people might suspect with the sim if they've never tried it "seriously" first hand.

Agreed. I think the microtransaction/"everything is a DLC pack" business model really hurts its appeal to the more casual members of the sim racing community. I also think that the sound and graphics are quite good and combined with mr_belowski's Crew Chief V4, R3E really is a top-notch sim.

As much as the rF2 fanboys will continue to ding it for a lack of night time racing or weather, I don't think it really detracts from the sim to have these things missing. The main things that I truly want are a full flag system and manually controlled pit entry/stops.

I'm glad you've joined the ranks for R3E players, it's a fun sim!

I think what really pisses me off is that this game has "mixed" reviews on Steam (it shows as like 3/5 stars in the Google results).

If you look at the Steam page, the thumbs down reviews are total BS - "it's not really free", "can't play with keyboard", etc.

From my standpoint, flag rules are desperately needed.  Not sure what the hold up is...

I think people is getting more and more used to DLC. The pricing model is not that bad but as with all microtransactions driven games you need to have a gameplan with your purchases or it can get expensive. But just needing one car per series, wait for track packs when on a 50 % sale drive. Be careful that you don´t pay tons for liveries you don´t need. By vrp in stock before using it to buy content. It´s a strategy game of it´s own ;) 

As for the handling try the DTM 2015 cars they are incredibly tricky. Twitch oversteer with no warning whatsoever worse then a badly setup mclaren GT3 ;). 

Just to bad it don´t have VR support. Major pet peeve over here.