Sign in to follow this  
Pumbaa666

Wreckfest coming to consoles in 2017

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/wreckfest-coming-to-console-new-stunt-game-announced.125487/

This, coupled with Finland's forward thinking and prosperous political/economic moves like Unconditional Basic Income, makes me believe Wreckfest will come together very quickly as Bugbear won't have the burdens and barriers of the out dated political/economic thinking that has held many a developer back and forced them to cut corners, as well as access to a lot of local volunteers who no longer have to work for their human rights, to get the work done...

nhill40   

Unlike AC going the console route (which I still think is a misfit and will ultimately distract Kunos from making AC the sim it could have become), this makes a lot of sense to me.  I think Wreckfest, with it's demo-derby premise and simcade physics, can find a very comfy home on consoles and grab a very wide user base.

I say good for Bugbear - the game on the PC right now looks like a great start that needs to be polished off.  If going this console route can one way or another bring this about, this will be a huge win for them.

Magnum   

agree... a good console game, lite on realism... people can crash things... sure hate to try a public server thou when released, lol...

(and BTW AC is out on console today, downloading now... I, for one, think console gamers deserve a serious race game once in a while... IE: Race Pro from Simbin for Xbox 360 was awesome.)

There's a lot to like about Wreckfest, it could even be steered into the sim lite or even sim category depending on where Bugbear decide to go in 2017... I'm really keen to see which mod teams jump ship to it as well...

One thing is for sure, they won't be handcuffed by economic beliefs, there won't be the temptation to cut corners like other developers have had to do just to put food on their tables or to chase larger profit margins...

And as far as consoles players go, they deserve a true sim, not a sim lite or another Codies F1 style effort with eye candy being the main focal point...

Finland is about to experience a huge economic boom, so I wouldn't be surprised if a start up developer (or Bugbear) takes aim at a PC & console game using ISI's engine (or starting from scratch) that fits that bill very well... Italy, the UK and the US unfortunately aren't on that page of economic theory just yet, despite growing conversations on the subject, their economic beliefs still encourage the short cuts to profit over the quality of the art...

And that's why I was so critical of Kunos' move to consoles initially, not because I don't think console players deserve a quality racing sim or would steer it astray, unfortunately my fears were quick to become reality... SMS' pCARS also serves as another good example of this issue...

Piotr   

Come on, Pumba. Can you make a single post without this "political agenda" :neaner:

I am just scared what you will post when we will be due for next Rally Finland over there in DR division

I will gladly debate with you about  this ecomonic/social utopia that Netherlands and Finland want to experiment with in 2017,  in micro scale.  Please open a separate thread in non racing part of our forum and I will follow you there hehe

Just kidding, don't waste time on me ;-)

nhill40   

First off, let me say I agree with Magnum 100% on this statement:

"I, for one, think console gamers deserve a serious race game once in a while..."

While I agree with the sentiment, my main issue is that I don't personally believe console gamers will ever get that.  Devs will get really, really close to the "sim threshold" (like Gran Turismo and Forza have done), but in my experience/opinion, they don't have the guts to go all-in (mostly because IGN and the like will call the game "too hard" and curtail their sales numbers).

There is one exception to this rule - the console sim Magnum mentions:  Race Pro.  Guess what?  Save for the tiny handful of people who played that and said "holy crap...it's an attempt at an actual sim!", that title was a commercial and critical flop.

As far as Wreckfest goes, I'm unfortunately no longer as rosy on their move.  While I still think the game is a great fit on consoles and the PC game can be ported over there without diluting the core game experience, I've learned that it will be going to PS4/XOne on an "early access" basis.  My fear is that the console audience is going to be subjected to the same "perpetual research project" treatment that us PC Wreckfest fans have been subjected to over the past few years.

Oqvist   

I "won" race Pro from a beta tester and tbh Race 07 wasn´t that impressive on PC to begin with.  And Race Pro on consoles was a stuttry version of Race 07 with even older graphics in relation to it´s competition on the console side.  I understand it didn´t sell well. Didn´t have any big marketing campaign behind it either so how could it gain traction :).

The prequels to Wreckfest has been released on consoles also and it was 100 % expected. I was actually surprised how much simulation they went with it to the point of totally killing my CPU with all the physics calculations in real time. Maybe consoles can do good here in making it run smoother. I have not tried it on my X 1080 but an 980 on a 1080p monitor at 60 hz and it was still hard to get smooth at high settings.

Assetto Corsa on consoles maybe it can help console gamers find the PC as well? Though there still seem to be ask for more cars. 450 cars in forza horizon 3 seem to be on the low side of expectations. Assetto Corsa with DLC have 30?

Currently I am doing some Forza 6. Incredibly hard and with assists off (beside normal steering) running gamepad there is certainly not short of a challenge. I bet it´s easier running a wheel but Assetto Corsa or rFactor 2 on gamepad is way easier then this.

12 hours ago, Piotr said:

Come on, Pumba. Can you make a single post without this "political agenda" :neaner:

I am just scared what you will post when we will be due for next Rally Finland over there in DR division

I will gladly debate with you about  this ecomonic/social utopia that Netherlands and Finland want to experiment with in 2017,  in micro scale.  Please open a separate thread in non racing part of our forum and I will follow you there hehe

Just kidding, don't waste time on me ;-)

lol that's what the scroll function is for mate... Don't want to get involved, scroll on down... :neaner:

The internet is for opinions, and with the sad state of so many things caused by this belief system, from F1s chase for the perfect show (which led me to enjoying the politics of the sport more than the sport itself), to the chase for profits by sim racing devs, to the payware modders risking the future of the community with the use of other peoples IP, and all the separations this causes, our little genre of interest has a lot of ills that are directly caused by the belief system when you do the maths...

So of course I'm going to bring it into the conversation, especially when I am positive about a move I was negative about for other developers within the genre for that very reason... 

BTW, it's not just the Netherlands and FInland. India, France, Iceland, Kenya and Canada are all trialing this over the next year or already are, with many others like Switzerland having a high proponent for this important change that is going nowhere just like Scottish Independence, both are inevitable... With all the previous trials showing booms to the local economy, the most important part for a strong economy, due to more people working (and not in wasteful & harmful positions like welfare compliance officers) and therefore higher production alongside the much higher number of competent consumers... 

I do realise it's a touchy or boring subject for some, I just care about the maths and the benefits to the species more than those who can't handle the thought... Add in that I'd rather the next age be a Technological and positive age, rather than a dark age... So this subject gets inserted whenever the maths make it applicable, which is quite often... Just be happy you don't have me on social media sites where I delve into the other ills of the belief system without care so I can connect with other like minded people... ;) 

Anyway back on topic, the plan for Wreckfest to be early access on consoles is a little disappointing, however the economic boom for Finland largely negates any fears I have about a perpetual science project being the result of the move, plus they have already announced their next game, so there will be a focus to getting Wreckfest done instead of milking the fan base as they will have a need to move on to their next piece of art...

The only worry I have is that of the perfectionist artist, where the want for the perfect piece of art takes over... Long term that is a good thing, short term that is painful... However the conditions are there for a better situation than we have seen with Wreckfest over the last few years, with updates coming faster due to the conditions...