goon

SCES R3E - 2 Hours of Spa ....GT3 Pace?

21 posts in this topic

What sort of pace are the GT3 drivers at? Just wondering whether my mid 2:20s need improving? (Or rather, how much they need improving by ;) )

Judging from the leaderboard, people have gone much, much faster than this at this car/track combo, but my personal best is a 2:20.389 (in the Ford GT).

I can probably get a bit more off of that by Sep 18, but I'm certainly no longer finding big chunks of time.  It'll be a question of how much time/patience I can find to tweak my setup at this point.

Thanks, I've been down to 2:22 once or twice, lot of work to do I think.

1 hour ago, goon said:

Thanks, I've been down to 2:22 once or twice, lot of work to do I think.

Pfft, at a track as long as Spa, you will be sub-2:20 from 2:22 in no time.

Default setup seems pretty good (on the Ford GT, at least).  I've made a handful of tweaks, but honestly have so far moved everything back to the defaults other than:

(1) setting TC preset 1 down to 0%

(2) cranking ride height down as low as it can go while still maintaining the same offset between front and rear as the default setup had

Great, thanks for the tips. I'll be happy to hit 2:22 consistently I think. And, as always, finishing a 2 hour will be a result in itself.

I think it's quit depending on the track circumstances also.

The times set in the leaderboards are done with much higher grip levels. If you do a test session the track will have less that also goes for when you drive a race, regardless if it's online or offline, the track has more grip.

Then of course it depends on the time of day of the session.

I did a quick test with a McLaren, practice sesstion ( fuel always 50 liters, and no consumption) at Noon.

I was running high 2:20's , so if you can keep within 2:22 with full fuel in a race session without making any misstakes, you will have a good race.

And there is still plenty of time to practice. Pehaps we can do a short test race any evening soon if people are interested.

Conny,

Is there way to know what level of grip there on track (in some numeric or % value). Reading you post above I am just curiuos how to set practice sessions and have comparable results. Is having same time of day and number of AI  enough to make sure I have comparable track grip?

Yeah, I feel guilty now - my 2:20.389 was in a leaderboard competition.  Pure hot lapping conditions.

In regular "Practice" mode @ noon, I don't know my exact best, but it is a 2:21-something...and that's really nailing a lap.  I will be very pleased to turn consistent 2:22's, 2:23's under race conditions (but even that may be over optimistic, as I haven't really done anything in terms of long stint tire testing).

By the way, what layout are we using in the race?  I'm really not aware of any alternate Spa layouts other than pit configurations.  I'm assuming that's the only thing that varies between Grand Prix/classic/combined layouts in the sim.

Best thing is to open a offline race session, with practice and qualy. You can set it with zero opponents if you don't want to be disturbed. This way you will get the same grip levels, temps and you can calculate your fuel consumption.

here are seetings we will use:

Settings

Time of day – Afternoon
Flag system – Black Only
Cut Track Penalties – Off
Fuel Use – On
Tire Wear – On
Visual Damage – Realistic
Mechanical Damage – On

Track version: Combined

In R3E I couldn't find any built in possibilities to monitor tire and brake temps, not to mention other statistical data.

Am I missing something, or I should use an external app?

Thanks in advance,

Staniol - here is an answer to at least part of your question:

Cut Track Penalites - Off

Well, let the competition for the "Most Creative Line through Eau Rouge Award" commence!  :hahaha:

Ouch sliding like that will leave a mark in the pants ;)

The eau rouge "broken spare parts dumpster" must be full after a weekend like that.

:ahoy: luckily it won't be raining at least.

We will have a marshall watching au Rouge, so take it easy with the tight line. :neaner:

Tested the leaderboard with the Ford and Vette. I'm 0.1 sec slower with the Corvette, but the Ford is much trickier to get there.

doing 2:18's sniffing on 2:17 where as Lars is on 2:17 sniffing on 2:16. :banghead:

But then again, with some traffic added this is a whole new ball game. Hotlapping like this might give you an idea where you are time wise and you also learn quicker, where to brake and what line to use. Just use challenge button in the portal. It will get you up to speed much quicker, but don't forget that during the race, there is no brake markers or lines to guide you. It's a double edged sword to use it.

I have not used the challenge very much, but it's a fun feature.

Tip, find a car/track combo that no one have used and be a world record holder, at least for a while ;) 

2 hours ago, nhill40 said:

Staniol - here is an answer to at least part of your question:

Thanks.

So I don't need a tire pressure/temperature monitor. :) I feel a bit lost I always used these to help setting up camber. Nevermind. :)

I also cannot fiddle with gear ratio. I think I'll use the default setup, I like the less tinkering - more driving approach. :)

The GT3 cars have set gearing IRL so it's realistic. I don't make much alterations either. The defaults are quite good.

Lower it, less wing as it's Spa, add brake pressure. As you say, less tinkering, more driving is a good thing.

Also make sure you have set a pit strategy, and do some practice to know how to do a pistop. Note that you can only do pitstops in a race. 

Oh, yeah - as Conny says, definitely up the brake pressure to 100%.  As in real life, these machines have ABS.  You'll definitely find a few spots @ Spa where you'll be pushing the brake pedal to the floor and you'll definitely be losing time if you are not getting the full braking potential.

I've stuck with the default wing so far, but perhaps I'll start messing with that tonight (especially considering Conny ripped off a 2:18 without much difficulty! :eek:)

Thanks again for the tips. I had 30 minutes practice last night, and with a little tweak I got in to 2:22s regularly. As often happens, you just need to know that other drivers are able to go faster, and you can find the time. I'm not going to catch those times up there though!

One thing I notice when driving on the server (as opposed to offline) I don't get a message on the screen when I adjust TC level. Is TC off on the server, or just the pop ups? if the latter, how do I keep track of what I've set it to. (Might become important on longer stints.)

On Conny's advice, I tested out lowering the wing last night and I can confirm you can lower it quite a bit and remain very stable.  This was worth ~1 sec of laptime for me, so that's pretty significant and definitely worth messing with if you have the time!

I thought Eau Rouge would pose a problem with less rear wing, but it really didn't.  I think with it being such a steep climb, you aren't as reliant on downforce as you might be otherwise.

One thing to keep in mind on the GT3s is that, with the gear rations being fixed, adjusting how much drag you are producing on these long straights is the only way to maximize your engine's potential over all 6 gears.  This is stating the obvious a bit, but giving up a little traction in a couple of the higher speed turns gets offset (and then some) by being able to get closer to the redline on some of the longer straights.

I just did some laps in Single Race practice, Afternoon, with 50 L of fuel. I was in mid 2:21s with RUF.

Server rebooted and 1 hour practice has started.

Qualifying in 50 minutes.

Be sure and join Teamspeak Server 2
Server Name: SimHQ Motorsports
IP: 74.116.1.247
Server Password: carrera