nhill40

F1 2016?

39 posts in this topic

Anyone have a chance to take some laps in F1 2016?  Please post your impressions!

I did a few hot laps on some favorite tracks... and then started my career... now I still wouldn't call this iRacing quality, or sim quality or whatever, but what the hell do I know, I don't know how a real F1 car drives... but it does seem that this version is the best and cleanest... with tons of info, options, and the career mode does seem to finally make this game more then just running hot laps. It really brings you into the world of F1 racing with set practices, goals to work on, stuff to check and tune, then to qualify and then the race... either full weekends, quick weekends, or customize it.

So I would say, if interested in the career of a F1 driver then it's a good buy, if you just want hot laps or time trials or quick race weekends for fun, stick with 2015... not that much differences, that this non-informed racer see's.

I have not touched this F1 franchise since the first one in 2010.

This time I was tempted for two reasons: quite positive first impressions on RD and because of the great job CM did with DirtRally.

As Magnum said it does the job for recreating details of the race weekend with details like pre weekend tyre selection or managing your delta time during safety car period ;-) But no ERS management like in recent products from Kunos

Don't expect simulation. FFB is far from what we know from sims we usually cover here. No mouse control is really annoying in navigating options. Graphics are FPS killers, so no chance on using high settings for me. But on positive side FPS are not going much worse in wet weather. I was able to keep 60+ FPS in Monaco race in heavy rain.

Most importantly... to my positive surprise the driving model is not that bad. You can actually have fun going around in places you know so well from TV. Again, nothing on level of our usual sims, but not annoying. You will spin if you are not careful with throttle. Car is not rails. By default it's understeery off throttle. When driving you have options to adjust fuel mixture, brake bias, differential, tyre choice, front wing dial during pitstops etc.

Just to save you some time and frustrations, I will share few findings:

- make sure you have latest drivers, first this game was crashing on loading for me, but after I checked there was new driver dated August 15 and installed it I had no issues

- in windows profiler - set your wheel range to 360; this is the only way to match on screen wheel with yours, there is lag in case in rapid movements, but it matches the range

- when assigning controls - make sure to map button or easy keystroke for 'pause'; when you are on track Esc button does not work, you need to hit 'pause' to bring up the menus

- in control options leave  steering saturation at zero, this will give you linear input

- in graphics options/camera settings you will find usufel FOV slider and both horizontal and vertical seat movement, w. hen you do you adjustments check you mirrors, you have an option to correct their angle

- for stronger wheels like my t500, FFB puts quite a resistance in wheel. You can get rid of it by lowering 'wheel weight' option in FFB;

Concluding: Definitely not a 'must buy'. But if you really follow and enjoy F1 of current years, this game will be fun for you.

Was considering to buy this game, since I started to fully follow F1 (casually watching a race here and there) but I wanted something competitive, but I guess this is not the game for that.

2 hours ago, archii16 said:

Was considering to buy this game, since I started to fully follow F1 (casually watching a race here and there) but I wanted something competitive, but I guess this is not the game for that.

Well, I tried quick race weekend today and in Melbourne I was 7 seconds of AI at highest level. So it is competitive for me. I cannot get the feel for steering yet. Or maybe it's some kind of nonsense that you  have to go through career first to unlock car upgrades etc.

I am causual racer. But if I consider rF2 on one side of the page and F1 2016 on the other, I will rather spend my free time trying to get better in rF2 ;-)

Thanks for all the feedback!  I'm glad people are enjoying the game - Codies has been on a bad streak lately and F1 fans deserve better, so I'm happy they are at least moving in the right direction.

I think I will probably still say "pass" - for $60, this would have to be a "daily play" for me and, with all the sims I have to keep up with, I just don't see that happening.

Did they get rid of the classic content?

That'd be enough to give it a few days worth of play time from me... I won't be expecting something like AMS's V12s or earlier in driving experience, just the visuals and sounds would be worth experiencing... 

I think it's been a mandate from Bernie to sell the games to the masses, not the sim racers, fits in line with the DRS racing of F1 today which sells overtakes to the masses with a handicapped driver in front whilst a small group of race fans want the push to pass of Indycar... Dirt Rally has made me stop blaming Codies for the lacklustre F1 series... They are just doing what the rich man wants them to...

5 hours ago, Piotr said:

Well, I tried quick race weekend today and in Melbourne I was 7 seconds of AI at highest level. So it is competitive for me. I cannot get the feel for steering yet. Or maybe it's some kind of nonsense that you  have to go through career first to unlock car upgrades etc.

I am causual racer. But if I consider rF2 on one side of the page and F1 2016 on the other, I will rather spend my free time trying to get better in rF2 ;-)

Well from what I have seen is that AI is quick but they are so bad at battling. Giving up positions left right midway through a battle. And for competitive, I ment online. (About rF2, my FFB feels like complete $#*¥@ so I dont play it, wish it wasnt that bad for me)

Only thing that looks really fun is the career mode, might say arrr (pirate :P) and give it a go, it doesnt seem its worth 50 euros.

I asked Steam for a refund.

I guess this concludes my report on this game.;-)

Is the steering non linear like all previous codemaster racing games since at least Toca 2?

7 hours ago, Piotr said:

I asked Steam for a refund.

I guess this concludes my report on this game.;-)

rofl

Wow, even PRC has some very positive things to say about this game - not a full blown review (though it sounds like one is forthcoming), but they give some positive first impressions:

https://pretendracecars.net/2016/08/21/your-magic-setup-for-f1-2016-is-here/

They ding the game on a few things of course, but if you want to read another review that says "beautiful visuals; really hard; must-play for F1 fans", just head over to IGN.  :hahaha:

Interesting to note Austin set the record laptime @ Interlagos w/traction control assist on medium.  Apparently, the turbo modeling is very crude and he found it difficult-to-impossible to control via modulating throttle inputs.

16 hours ago, nhill40 said:

rofl

Steam refused to refund, as I have recorded more than 2 hours of play in it. :banghead: 

Lessons for the future learned. :yep:

I'm thoroughly enjoying this one.

I was a fan of the others in some ways and not so in others, but this one gives a superb feel of being involved in an F1 team.

I wrote some info on another forum if anyone is interested...

http://dogsofwarvu.com/forum/index.php/topic,3164.0.html

It's not a full on sim, but I find the driving model, the tyre modelling and the AI in this version to be above par for an arcade game and would class it as sim lite. On top of that, the immersion is superb imo and at last, worthy of the title.

Now I'd like some other setup options and some full on lap analysis. Maybe next time.

But that is just the ramblings of an old duffer :cuss:

I'm also really enjoying F1 2016 so far, the physics are still sim lite but I'm really enjoying the depth they added in the career, the practices and the tire modeling (I swear I can feel the tires get worn).

I picked it up thanks to the good reviews on most sim sites and Steam and your helpful post on another site BillyRiley (fellow Groghead), :thumbsup: glad I did.

Thanks Kludger. You can definitely notice the tyre wear. As the laps go by, so does your timing and you have to adjust your breaking, entry and exit points around the track.

I'm still confused as to why F1 doesn't have it's own sub forum here. It's a racing game, with cars, beautiful cars, has a huge following (the games sell very well), and the games are not as "sim lite" as people make out. The driving model and tyre modelling actually gives for a great driving experience.

Not that I give a lot of weight to Steam reviews, it is at 90% for 1k+ votes. And it seems to have been well received around various review sites.

I am really trying to make this game to work for me, but I can't get used to steering lag. I just keep missing one apex after another as it feels like I am always 0,2 sec late with steering it input.

Sorry, but I can't say I'm experiencing anything like that. What wheel do you have? I have a Logitech Formula Force - so nothing fancy.

It may be I'm just not good enough to notice, but apexes are not being an issue for me. I'm also playing on Expert (1 below the highest level) and the only help I have on is medium traction.

One thing I have noticed - and this has been the case with each of their F1 games - is once load the game and go out onto the track, I have to go into the settings and configure the pedals. If I don't the inputs, regardless of how slight I press each pedal, the effect is immediate and sharp, resulting in instant brake locking. Whilst I am there, I also reconfigure the steering (just as a matter of course)...so perhaps that extra config of the steering removes the lag you are experiencing? I don't know.

All I know is I have had to do this for each of their F1 games. I don't know if it's because I'm not running the Logitech software in the background or if it's because although I've chosen my wheel, I've set it to "custom" and so have to do this - but I DO have to do it everytime I fire up the game.

In the dirt titles you must use the controller to start the game if you use mouse or keyboard in the menus you need to redo it all. No idea how it works in the F1 titles.

Same with the F1 titles I think...or it used to be. I always press a button on the controller to start the game

I have been meaning to "get to know" the Logitech software so I can skip in-game stuff. I've had the wheel long enough! Maybe that would get rid of my "issue" with the pedals.

I found this video I must've made of qualifying in Bahrain

It's just Q1 and Q2...I didn't record Q3 where I think I qualified 8th or something. I've noticed though that my qualifying pace isn't like my race pace. When you get to select your pit strategy, you get an "aggressive" and "conservative" choice.

If you select the aggressive option, it means your going to be pushing a lot and therefore it's MORE pit stops. Conservative means you're looking after your tyres and therefore you'll have less pit stops.

Because I know I'm aggressive, I choose the aggressive strategy and hence have another pit stop. Determining how you use the tyres and which pit stop to go for by the way is all due to the tyre management test - you can see where you're pulling too much in the corners, stretching that rubber or where you accelerate before your wheels are at the optimum angle - so these tutorials help massively

Bahrain Q1 and Q2

I did say I would post some negatives if I came across them - and here's two gripes I have with the game thus far..

Safety Car - AI!
More an AI issue than the safety car probably - either the AI is waaaaay too conservative when trying to catch up with the safety car or the safety car is way too fast. But sometimes the result is you not catching up with the safety car at all before it goes back in the pits. More an AI issue than the safety car probably - either the AI is waaaaay too conservative when trying to catch up with the safety car or the safety car is way too fast. But sometimes the result is you not catching up with the safety car at all before it goes back in the pits.

I had a race where the safety car was out and I was heading on the final part of the lap - so I changed strategy and boxed for fresh tyres. When I came out, I had to stay behind the car in front of me and we were trying to get attached to the safety car line - but the AI was driving so slow (or the safety car was so fast) that in the end it was called in (after 3 or 4 laps I think) which meant we didn't get attached to the queue.

Another time, we did catch the safety car (I didn't pit this time because I had done so the lap before) and were instructed to overtake it as it was waiting to pick up the leaders - it took us 3 laps to catch it which I thought was hugely excessive.

So that's a pain in the arse
The Engineer!  >:(
The engineer is a dick. He says things at the wrong time (coming into a corner etc, etc) or is just rubbish. For example, I had picked my pit strategy. My first stop was going to be between lap 10 and lap 13. I got the call from the engineer at the start (towards the end?) of lap 10 that the pit lane was open. I checked my tyres and thought I would extend a bit - knowing I could pit up to lap 13 where the window would close (presumably for my team mate).

Anyway, I carried on, ignoring the pit lane open message...all good. I also got a call from the engineer telling me the pit window would close - again, a great point. However, I selected to pit on lap 12 and told the garage I was pitting. During my in lap, which is crucial, I then get this long bloody speech as I'm twisting round corners, that "We have a viable change of strategy...let us know whether you want to change or not"...what comes up is "Pitting lap 12 for soft tyres or pitting on lap 10 for soft tyres"

Well lap 10 IS GONE and I've already let you know I'm pitting this lap!!! This is really annoying because of two things - first it's a long old speech he's giving you and you're trying to go through corners and navigate traffic whilst he's blabbering on so you aren't concentrating on engine revs and secondly, it's bloody pointless. I've told you I'm coming in!

He also seems to give an "alternate strategy" soon after the race starts - which again is annoying.

So the engineer needs ALOT of work.

However - more positives
Another great point however is the excessive fuel and how it's portrayed to you (and fuel use in general). First, how much fuel you have left is displayed great - not at all confusing like in previous titles and second, the amount you have "in excess" is very easy to understand - AND it doesn't magically "disappear" like in previous titles.

For example, in 2015, you could be shown you have +1 lap of fuel. Put the mix to rich, and that extra lap of fuel would be gone by the time you've done a lap. In this version, if you have say, +2.50 laps of fuel in excess, switching to rich could give you about 5 or 6 laps of running rich. This allows you to hugely change how you overtake and defend. Also the amount is relayed to you perfectly.

It also seems like you can build up excess fuel by driving conservatively on Standard fuel mix. So if you "change up" prior to max revs (called short shifting) then you can slowly build some extra fuel for those in and out laps.

Another great feature is the "beep" for changing gear.

Absolutely loving this title. Best F1 game by far in an absolute age - both from a driving experience and from an immersion perspective

And here's me at Sochi - part of 1st Practice

What you're seeing here is an absolute n00b on the track. I've never raced this, so buckle in and watch how I try and learn a track, overshooting, breaking too early, scrubbing the tyres and generally not doing too well.

I'll do a few laps like this (using the hardiest tyres available for durability - because they will take punishment) and then move onto the Track Familiarisation task. You could argue I could be doing that right away...that does make sense, particularly as you can run the tasks multiple times. But I just like to have a recce before hand.

Part of P1 at Sochi

Again, when exiting the pits, I had to go into the menu and setup my controls because for some reason if I don't do so, the brakes and accelerator seem to be "on" or "off"...resulting in too much torque and very, very easily locking brakes.

I don't know why this is - but it's been the same for EVERY Codemasters F1 game (maybe for Dirt too...I can't recall). I only have to do this when booting the game up (and should try and remember to do it in the menu system before jumping in). I don't have to do it each time I leave the pits.

Thanks for posting your follow up thoughts, Billy.  I've enjoyed reading them and they've brought up some subtle pros and cons.

I'm guessing I'll eventually pick this one up, but I'm neck deep in other commitments at the moment (sim racing, real racing, football ramping up, hoops right around the corner...not to mention work and family!). I might wait till winter or early next year and hope they drop the price a bit (though it does sound like it's a game for once that can at least make a straight faced claim of being worth $60)

No probs nhill40.

I genuinely think the game is worth promoting. It's leaps ahead of the previous games imo in every aspect.

I'm having way more fun with this title than that so called NASCAR title that just came out. 

omg - this is going to be a painful race.

As expected, having never raced or practiced to any degree at Sochi, I am going to be beaten by my teammate. I didn't manage a single point for my Tyre Wear test and will not likely grab any from the Qualifying Pace test

This could be where my team mate grabs ground back (currently I am leading significantly in the rival battle).

Also - seems to be a bug here where the text wouldn't disappear when the test starts.

https://youtu.be/0bluS_zc0fY