Doug Atkinson

POLL: Why I like singleplayer racing better than multiplayer sim racing

Why I like singleplayer sim racing better than multiplayer...   14 members have voted

1. 1. I like singleplayer better primarily because...

• I usually don't want to deal with people and personalities
    • I'm concerned of being embarrassed
    • I never know how much time I will have and don't want to commit to multiplayer events
    • Multiplayer requires too much effort (to acquire the cars and tracks)
    • Multiplayer requires too much effort (to connect to a multiplayer server)
    • Multiplayer requires too much effort (to find an event I want to drive)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

21 posts in this topic

Well I don't but it is the topic of the poll and the discussion.

Keep in mind who votes for what is totally anonymous. None of the other members can see what you selected nor can I or any other admin see what you selected. So vote freely. :)

well, I don't really prefer single player.... but there at least I can tweak the AI and drive the car and the track that I want....

I did a race at LeMan with like 45 AI... I had 370z (to generate some traffic), ISI GT2, and all the apex GT3. I had tweak the AI so the GT2 and the GT3 were like 2-3 seconds gap in lap time... that was amazing 

EDIT: So... if I was able to find a server with people with a GT that I like, I would probably more online.

BUT, I must add that sometime, I create a server online and I drive on it like SP, but on a server.

Multiplayer is the best experience, but I'm married with 2 kids...plus I have a busy job...plus I live in a place well-known for its outdoors activities (Colorado).

It all comes down to time, for me.  I love sim racing and so I make time for it, but I'm never quite sure when that time will be.

iRacing fits nicely, but it's too expensive and the physics start to annoy me after a month or two.

1. Somewhat, but doesn't really enter into it (except for "takes it too serious" guy)

2. Nah, don't care

3. Mostly that

4-6. Sometimes

I would also add that there's a lot of different options out there. I don't own them all. I also don't want to submit to RF2's subscription plan, but that's just me.

I think the poll title should be "Why I settle for single player as a more convenient but less satisfying alternative" ;)

I know that SimHQ races will be populated by sane and normal people, and the standard or sportsmanship will be high, but the races never drop at the right time / date for me it seems. I also miss out because despite trying really hard, I just can't get along with rF2.

I think it would be good to have muitple answers available...

The thread is not about me as I do prefer MP but I will give my voice anyway. I am not recently racing MP in SimHQ simply becasue there are no races organized for my preferred sims. SimHQ has an excellent offer for rFactor 2 MP, but this sim is just a bit too 'hardcore' for me, plus my busy work schedule does not allow me to commit to driver swap endurance races. I prefer something more casual, B&P style.

My preffered sims are:

1. AC (very clear favourite)

2. AMS (not far behind)

3. RRE (very very distant 3rd, but I am curious lately)

To race without pressure I would say didn´t quite find a poll. But then I do 95 % simracing so I guess I couldn´t vote anyway.

I mostly run arcade racers off line. Euro Truck Simulator is about as good as it get for single player "racing". Forza Horizon, Driver San Franscisco. 

The biggest thing has to be being able to run the content or championship I want. New games usually lack a series within itself (AMS being highest profile one with 2014 Brazilian Stock Car), so online tends to be shallow on desirable combos and a large gravitation towards a very specific car.

11 hours ago, Piotr said:

....I am not recently racing MP in SimHQ simply becasue there are no races organized for my preferred sims. SimHQ has an excellent offer for rFactor 2 MP, but this sim is just a bit too 'hardcore' for me, plus my busy work schedule does not allow me to commit to driver swap endurance races. I prefer something more casual, B&P style.

Once our Assetto Corsa Events Manager & Host gets life settled down a bit, look for a short series in AC for Touring Cars with a BTCC-like format. http://UKCupSeries.com ;)

Seriously, I quit even trying to do all the event organizing because I just couldn't cover it all well. Right now I'm doing the ISI engined stuff, Conny is handling the R3E events, and Darren is doing the AC based events.

back to the topic... :)

I can't vote, because I like multilayer more than single player. 

On 06/08/2016 at 4:47 PM, Matthias said:

I can't vote, because I like multilayer more than single player. 

This is where I sit...

To me the difference between SP & MP is like the difference between a blow up doll & the real deal....

If we had some AMS races it'd be damned hard to find me signing up to anything else so my health doesn't fail me due to racing a sim that isn't AMS...

8 hours ago, Pumbaa666 said:

This is where I sit...

To me the difference between SP & MP is like the difference between a blow up doll & the real deal....

If we had some AMS races it'd be damned hard to find me signing up to anything else so my health doesn't fail me due to racing a sim that isn't AMS...

rofl

If we had some AMS races...

If we had 10-15 people interested in running AMS races we'd sure run them! :) I love the Reiza efforts. Unfortunately not that many others here agree enough to join even a one-off MP event.

25 minutes ago, Doug Atkinson said:

If we had 10-15 people interested in running AMS races we'd sure run them! :) I love the Reiza efforts. Unfortunately not that many others here agree enough to join even a one-off MP event.

I don't doubt this for a second.

AMS = the sim everyone loves, but no one drives.

Can't explain it and I sure wish it wasn't true... :(

CART 1998 would be a good choice of vehicles and drivers can be placed into different performing cars to help even out the field.

2 hours ago, nhill40 said:

AMS = the sim everyone loves, but no one drives.

As was pretty much the case with all flavors of GSC. We had a decent Brazilian Stock Car series a few years ago for a couple years then it went kaput. Article from it: http://simhqmotorsports.net/gsc-2012-series-cascavel/#more-1058

Race Department has been the anchor point for GSC forever but it seems even their activity has dropped-off.

Don't know if it is because people are enamored with the eye candy in pCARS and AC, still think of Reiza's latest efforts as rFactor 1.5, or what.

But yeah, just a damned shame (as I've said multiple times before on the same topic). :)

RaceDepartment killed it when they went premium only. It was already frustrating to have the premium/free split, meaning friends wouldn't be placed together on the same server. I used to organize GSC 2013/SCE leagues (briefly rF2) and CART 98 was the greatest success. A couple of fast guys appealed to the fastest combo but there was still variety in the field, and the Reynard Mercedes was the overall champ. It's also always a matter of balancing it out with quality tracks that cater to different cars. The F-V10 would likely do very well given how easy it is to drive, plus the skinpacks.

But as always, different people have different commitments and expectations. Where I used to drive and organize things attracted a couple of very fast guys and a few more midfield folks, but the old guard (especially site owner) didn't like being pushed further back on the grid, so most of the consistent top 5 people across SCE/rF2 left the place. I did find that a site that is consistent with their offerings tends to amass a larger and loyal field over time, and there's so much option with AMS that it's tough to hit that sweet spot, even though pretty much every series is all spec-racing (blergh :nope:).

I simply haven't had the time for it.

I'm even going so far as to set up NR2003 on my gaming desktop, which I have connected to the TV in the living room, and configure it in "arcade mode" style complete with XBox controller.  I'll only be running short sprints vs. AI (reliving the glorious 1993 season), but it's better than nothing.

I very much fall into the never knowing how much time I will have category. 3 small children and a wife who seem to make sure the one night a week they want to bug me is race night, the other 6 nights they couldn't care less :neaner:.  

The main reason I've been spending most of the time with DiRT Rally is that I can still race, but do so when I have time to.  I can find an hour a month somewhere :)

On 09/08/2016 at 2:27 PM, Guiga said:

RaceDepartment killed it when they went premium only. It was already frustrating to have the premium/free split, meaning friends wouldn't be placed together on the same server. 

Yeah the same thing happened with Race2Play, but like iRacing over time new members helped build up numbers again... Still, it is a terrible idea for the community as it splits an already fractured community (due to the many different games, plus DLC and payware compounding it) even further to the point where many leagues have run races with less than 10 on the grid or even just leave open servers up for random pick up races instead of championships to try and get new members to join the fun..

So I could never support it and left R2P and RD as a result as those poor decisions...

On 09/08/2016 at 2:27 PM, Guiga said:

It's also always a matter of balancing it out with quality tracks that cater to different cars. The F-V10 would likely do very well given how easy it is to drive, plus the skinpacks.

... and there's so much option with AMS that it's tough to hit that sweet spot, even though pretty much every series is all spec-racing (blergh :nope:).

Agreed...

Never been a fan of spec racing, but league edition of mods always brought bigger fields, the 79 mod in rF1 was pretty much the only historic version that produced big fields and could beat the LE... All of Reiza's cars are on that level, even though I still don't enjoy their modern F1 offerings (didn't like them in GSC either) the V12s especially are a joy to drive, plus that sound...

Only single player I play is for DYTYF, other than that if I have sim time it's online all the way. 

I have not racer AMS online, but if there was an event here I would be all over it.