Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Plainsman

Assetta Corso vs. Project Cars

13 posts in this topic

I've been away from gaming for what seems like a year.  Wow, okay four years from this racing site.   Just tried Assetta Corso and Project Cars and wondering how others compare the two. Visuals in both are awesome at 4k, but I find Project Cars a bit more fun.  What do others think? 

Also, how do I edit my signature on this site?  All my hardware info shown is very old and gone.  I guess that's how long I've been gone.

If you want pretty graphics, I'd say those 2 are your best bets.

Personally, I'd take AC over PCars 10 times out of 10 because I much prefer the driving experience in AC.  But it's all very subjective, of course.

You are jumping back in at a really interesting time - lots of good options, but no real indication that any of these sims are capable of getting their poop in a group enough to become the killer app in the genre.

They both pass the eye candy test, however both have glaring issues that keep me from enjoying them after years of being spoilt by the complexity and stability of rF1... With pCARS being buggy yet considered complete and AC's primitive heating simulation for tyres, brakes and engines, although they may improve on that like they have the starts in time, I'm not holding my breath.

Both companies also have terrible customer service, so don't bother complaining about anything to them, you'll most likely get banned from their forums... No joke it's that bad...

I'd suggest taking a look at Automobilista, it has the same real road features as AC but they look better IMO (it's not rF2 or iRacing standards but it's still good) with all the heating elements in a much higher detail than rF1.

As for your signature... Top right, click on your name for the drop down menu and select "account settings" then you'll see signature on the next page bottom left :)

Both titles have their major shortcomings but for casual simracer like myself AC is perfect compromise. I have limited time for this hobby, so I cannot commit to any seriuos leages or MP endurance races with driver swaps. I am just enjoying short distance MP simracing. Also driving feel in AC is nice enough for me to do  practice laps trying to improve my driving and experimenting with setup changes. Assetto Corsa delivers exactly what I am looking for. 

They are both the pinnacle of simracing together with LFS and iRacing as they have proper VR support and the boost in realism that gives is immense. Assetto Corsa feels better to drive but P Cars VR support is a bit better developed but I have no problems with either.

Beside not being able to do standing starts proper in AC it´s superb for sprint racing. 

If we are going to go all subjective and suggest a pinnacle, I'll add my 2 cents that way.

rF2 and iRacing are the pinnacle for technology reasons, Automobilista is the pinnacle for their well put together package, and AC is the pinnacle for licences, but that's becoming less important to me as time goes on..

AC>PCars

The driving experience in AC is great. AC racing is less refined than iRacing or rF2 but still better than Pcars. You want the most bang for your buck get rF2. Is it eye candy? Not so much. Is it an amazing racing experience. Most certainly. You got money to burn then play iRacing. IT IS THE BEST IMO. I love Automobilista but have trouble finding league races running this sim in time slots I can make. :(

I've been away too long.  So RF2 was finally completed?  Last time I checked people were still playing a beta version.

12 hours ago, Plainsman said:

I've been away too long.  So RF2 was finally completed?  Last time I checked people were still playing a beta version.

Completed?  Nah, I certainly wouldn't say so.

The main piece of news was that rF2 was acquired by Studio 397 who seem to have plans to bring rF2 into a state resembling "complete".

My personal opinion?  We may be in an era of sim racing where "complete" doesn't really exist, as all the major devs (and, to a lesser extent, their respective user bases) seem content to perpetually tinker/tweak with their products.

The lone exception to this trend may be PCars...But that was only because the devs wanted to move onto PCars2!  (Also, I don't want to ruffle any feathers, but I think - viral marketing claims to the contrary aside - you gotta kinda stretch the definition a bit to call PCars a "sim"...IMO)

It´s completed but still in development. Else what sim out there is completed? Even LFS gets updates :)

Ah yes P Cars but only because of P Cars 2 :)

Okay, well some time has passed since my original post.  Here is the conclusion I've come to as a "non-expert" sim racer:

Graphics:  Even

Physics:  Advantage to AC. I can drift real cool with the emergency brake or spin 360 if I lean too hard on it--feels a bit more realistic. Damage model is better.  FFB is slightly better.

The Racing Experience:   Project Cars by a mile.  I can tweak the competition much better to be competitive. You can increase/decrease opponents skill level in 1% increments until you hit the sweet spot (I don't do multiplayer).  AC has very easy, easy, medium, hard, etc. (I don't notice much difference between the bottom three).  More driving views with PCars.  A lot more.  Love the helmet cam.  Love the wet weather option.  PCars is just really exciting in this way.

Long-term Playability:   Project Cars again by a mile.  A lot more variety of cars and tracks, with or without DLC.  Most AC tracks I've seen before in many older sims (Monza, Spa, etc.) and have grown tired of them.  PCars stable of mounts are not only more numerous, they are more interesting to me.  

20 hours ago, Plainsman said:

The Racing Experience:   Project Cars by a mile.  I can tweak the competition much better to be competitive. You can increase/decrease opponents skill level in 1% increments until you hit the sweet spot (I don't do multiplayer).  AC has very easy, easy, medium, hard, etc. (I don't notice much difference between the bottom three). 

I recommend Content Manager to have much more customisation options including opponent strength adjustment in 1% increments.

http://assettocorsa.club/content-manager.html

content manager.JPG

Thanks for the tip.  I have both PC and Xbox One versions, but right now, I'm only playing the Xbox One version of both AC and PCars.  I have a 28-inch 4K monitor for my PC, but the Xbox One version links to my 37 inch HD TV, which looks just as these two games look on the 4K computer monitor.  I think the reason is I have turn off some graphics options on the PC that I don't have to turn off on the Xbox.  I also like the bigger screen.  I use a Logitech 920 wheel and pedal set for both PC and Xbox versions.  With the same controller, I haven't noticed a difference in the physics of the cars in either game, PC or Xbox version. I can't tell them apart in terms of handling.  I will definitely install Content Manager, the next time a boot up the PC version of AC.

I just love the camera driving views and weather depiction in PCars.  It's so much better than AC, and the external graphics of the two sims are the same quality--on the Xbox One--to me.