Doug Atkinson

SCES R3E - 2 Hours of Spa - Overview

41 posts in this topic

Thanks for participating today, thanks Conny for organizing the event, and thanks to whoever was on the podium. :) I have the json results file so I'm trying to see if a reader for it exists.

5 hours ago, Oqvist said:

Somebody behind jump the start a bit. A pity looked like you where good for a one stopper. It was frustrating not seeing your car pit before the 1h mark. The Daytona is not even close do it on one stop. I memorised my pit confirm button wrong I pressed 4 buttons nothing happened. When I finally found it I was passing the corner for first pit lane but thankfully it was in the second pitlane. 

It was a fun race and some great racing in the beginning. I was a bit hard on the engine with my shifting the red stable showned almost 40 % wear.

To bad about the attrition. Only 5 finishers :(

I was doing around 3L per lap, and I think the tank held 75L. When I was in the pitlane I think I hit the half way point, I didn't have a hud or anything so I didn't really know what was happening. I probably should've practiced pitting, but I assumed it would take the pit stop preset I made.

I noticed people left after having a spin. If they stayed the might've won. I somehow came back from 30 seconds back or something, at least I think that's what the crew chief said. But he also said I was two seconds off the pace every lap, so I don't know how accurate it was.

45 minutes ago, Coutie said:

I was doing around 3L per lap, and I think the tank held 75L. When I was in the pitlane I think I hit the half way point, I didn't have a hud or anything so I didn't really know what was happening. I probably should've practiced pitting, but I assumed it would take the pit stop preset I made.

I noticed people left after having a spin. If they stayed the might've won. I somehow came back from 30 seconds back or something, at least I think that's what the crew chief said. But he also said I was two seconds off the pace every lap, so I don't know how accurate it was.

Yes, people seemed a bit quick to retire.  To be fair, i didnt see any of the incidents first hand to know the severity, but the attrition rate seemed very high.  A bit disappointing, because the initial turnout was so good and i was looking forward to a lively racetrack.

Presumably if this were a points paying situation, more people would have stuck it out and salvaged a finish.

9 hours ago, goon said:

Firstly, enormous fun! Second - what a disaster for me! 

When my PC started it completed an update, which is what I'm guessing caused my sound / headset problem. With my headset plugged in the sound and mic went screwy as soon as I started the game or Crew Chief. Managed to get in monitoring only on TeamSpeak, but with no practice to speak of. Very pleased to put in my fastest lap in qualifying, by about 2.5 seconds. Last but one on the grid though. 

Before the start I realised I couldn't hear TeamSpeak so mucked about with levels, which meant that when CrewChief spoke I just got a massive burst of static. No time to fix now, we're starting. I stupidly span on the formation lap, taking a bit of light damage, but managing to regain my postion on the grid before the start.

The start was uneventful, but I've got no comms to the pits, and because I always use CrewChief I've never setup the HUD elements. No idea of my position, tyre temps, or anything. I think I ran an just shy of an hour before the pedals box started slipping, perfectly simulating the effect of a 'long' brake pedal! (I didn't know this was what was causing it at the time.) I pitted for tyres, and whilst on AI manged to ALT-Tab out to tweak the comms, so that at least I could hear the pits, even if they could not hear me. I was straight back in the next lap round my brakes were unusable. I jumped under the desk whilst on AI again and adjusted the pedal box before rejoining. This is real endurance racing!

The car was fine now, so I settled in again, before starting to think about a splash before the end. The pit menu / control in Race Room is pretty confusing, and I managed to take tyres but no fuel. I pitted again, and manged to cancel the stop with no way I could undo, and left the pits with my remaining 2L. I ground to a halt two thrids round the lap, with 20 minute to go.

Despite the difficulties it was great fun, and as i'm not so fast it's a great way to get enjoyment out of online racing, taking on the challenge of racing two hours.

Looking forward to more, when I've got y various PC / control problems sorted! 

What a Heroic Saga! :)

I must say I had hard times figuring out your pitting strategy, now I understand why. :)

I saw you on the roadside and I was thinking, you most probably ran out of fuel, 1 minute later I ran out of fuel on the pitlane...

Last night was my first race of RaceRoom, and I'm very happy with how it andata.Ho had a good fight with Par and Stefan, and when they did the pit I could earn a bit and I kept the lead until my pit.Devo say that all have been corrected, except when overtaking Andrew Harper that at the time of dubbing kept me behind for several laps facendondomi lose much tempo.Il first pit went ok and I could take back the lead when he made his second Par pit hoped that gasoline was enough for me to finish the race, but within ten minutes I had to stop to refuel and that's the problem, I could not put petrol I wanted it made me full and changed the tires and there I lost the race .
Anyway it was a great experience and I thank SimHQ its Admin and I hope to do some other race.

Hi 

A huge thank you to all admins for making this race possible.

To all participants for a good clean race impressive !

Sorry to see so many retire ;-( 

Hope too see more off this !!

Yeah saw you battling it out I got 5 seconds and a free pass. Would rather have worked for it :). Me and Stefan was side by side for several corners including eau rouge that was hard racing but fun. But he escaped after finding my rear in the wrong moment so I spun. Maybe just wanted to see the hockey?

Btw don´t get on the grass with these tires. I braked a bit late and couldn´t take the chicane after the first straight so let Stefan by but after hitting some grass the car got completely uncontrollable. 5 % throttle and the rear tire spin loose. Had to wait for it to cool down after several attempts getting forward before get going after multiple burnout attempts and I was running with some 15 % TC. Next time I will put some 95 % TC preset to be sure to get going again. I wonder if I didn´t get a lot of my engine damage there overreving though a fair bit was probably downshifts.

Thanks for the team for setting up this event, it was good fun and the turnout was good.

My laptimes were good and to be within a few tenths of the front row was nice. Close times were recorded which was good to see.

I unfortunately had an issue that plagues this game online for some reason, at the start everyone vanished from my screen so I didn't know whether to move or not, it's been reported by other racers online. So I just stayed still and when you all appeared at Eau Rouge I got moving again, and just took up my position at the back of the P2 class.

Otherwise the race went ok, I was lapping ok and having a good battle for the last position in P2, but I got caught out under braking and did a 360, right in front of the GT class. Whoever it was who I collected I'm very sorry, I was more or less in the middle of the track.

Got back to the pits, got repaired, new boots and fuel and just decided to see how the race developed. Lost about a lap in total.

I passed the GT cars to get back into P2 class and was hanging on but then I had issues with warping again (even though my ping was fine) so I decided to stop.

Rob17, you've lost me matey. I did the whole race by myself with no one behind me (unless I was passing a GT car) :)

Well done to the winners and if we do one of these again I'll certainly try and take part, my only suggestion is maybe leave practise at an hour but reduce the race to 90 minutes maybe, I've done two hour races before but with grids of 40+ cars which of course makes a big difference.

Many thanks :) 

Some cars did not load for you? Did you see all P2s at the start? I did see you and Rob collide at some point I believe so I lapped you at least once. 

Before I forget, I also want to offer a big thanks to Doug & Conny for hosting and organizing the event!  It was a great time and the turnout was very impressive - hopefully this might turn into a more formal series.

I really think the high attrition would be solved in a true series where points are being awarded, so really the only specific concern I would have in terms of using R3E as a platform is the DLC-heavy nature.  Would people be willing to fork out for the necessary tracks (and car, if necessary) to participate?

I think the sim is great, but I'm not sure there are enough people who are looking at it as one of their "primary sims" to be able to get a full series going (hope I'm wrong on that - by all means, please comment away if you feel this isn't the case).