Doug Atkinson

SCES R3E - 2 Hours of Spa - Overview

Jon_Uyan   

My very recent migration from win7 to win10 appears to have only one side effect, I can not start R3E? Clicking on "Play" button did nothing first, then started to link me to the game's Steam store page! Over there there is also another play button available but that does not do anything either. 

Next I tried to check for corrupted local files under properties but 2 of the 4 options available in that window were grayed out and non functioning?! One of them being "Integrity check". 

I then decided to uninstall the "local content" and reinstall the game, hoping that it would recognize win10 and install the missing whatever or fix corrupted files. But the game disappeared from my games owned list, it is not showing up anymore? If I go to store page again the "Play" button there is still available and can click on it, and the green bar says "This Game Is In Your Library"!. 

I was going to join this race since I don't get to race with R3E that often, but yeah, it is not gonna happen it seems. Next step will be waiting for the time that I will do a "reset" or clean install of win10.

F19_CoNa   

I have migrated to win10 also and it worked after. However, there was a major patch a while ago and you more or less had to reinstall after that. They are only going via steam now as before you could upload via their own site even if it was linked to steam.

Have you cleared all folders from any R3E content? make sure the simbin folder is deleted under my documents/my games.

also make sure it's deleted in windows programs

Then try to reinstall via steam again.

Jon_Uyan   

I'm not very windows file-structure savvy, so Troy did look into it for me and cleared all traces of it and he knows what he is doing. But problem still stands. He thinks maybe traces of it is in Steam's own root files that are not accessible, unless we do a new Steam installation. Even though Win10 appears to be working ok I will do a reset pretty soon and everything need to be reinstalled anyway, I guess I'll wait for that. Right now I'm making a list of things that I need to save or back up before I do it.

goon   

I really wanted to enter this. Bought the track, practiced, bought a new wheel because my old G25 is getting unreliable, found out today we are committed to an evening out on the 6th. D'oh!

So as this is a test of interest, I'll register my interest without entering, and keep my eye on further elements. I'm not getting enough online racing done. (The two hour enduros are right up my alley, would love a series of these.)

F19_CoNa   

Note that we have rescheduled due to low registration.

Many people are on summer vacation so we will run it Sept 18, (sunday).

Hoping to see more registrations until then.

goon   

Cool, I'll register when I've decided which car. I had settled on the Mclaren, but had a muck about with the prototypes this afternoon and had great fun.

Piotr   

I would like to urge SHQM regulars to consider joining this one.

I have spend some time with RRE  last weekend and I have to say that I really like how this game evolved since months ago when I last tried that.

nhill40   

I am planning to join in (GT class).

I've gotten quite a bit of wheel time in on the Ford GT/Spa combo and I'm having a really good time with it.  As always, it took a bit to really get in with the feel of the sim, but once I've gotten comfortable, I'm having a really great time.  Even having to dial a back a bit on the visuals to allow me to run triples, it's a very good looking game.  Sounds are also excellent but, most importantly, the driving feel is really good.  The car has also (so far) responded believably to the couple setup tweaks I've been brave enough to make. 

Piotr   

Sounds in this game are 10 out of 10.

FFB is also good. Although I have a lot of fine tuning to be done. At the momement FFB can sometimes rattle my entire rig so hard that I am sure I am awaking my neibourghs downstairs LOL.

I am also positive in 'driving feel' department. At first I thought it's a bit 'muted' and GT3s are too stable. But then, after checking 'Leaderboard' I realised how embarassingly slow I am driving :neaner:

I am still doing only short bursts of 3-4 laps as I enjoy trying out cars and locations, so I cannot comment how it feels in terms of grip changes with tyre wear.

nhill40   

Ha!!!  Yes, there are some quick people on the leaderboards.

As far as the GT3s go, I agree - extremely tame/vanilla.  Honestly, I think it's by design, as this just seems to be the nature of GT3s in general.

rob17   

Hello
guys i have a problem that I hope you can help me. RaceRoom for me is new and Sunday I would like to do your race I did a little practice but I have a big problem I can not make the pit stop.Ho set all the buttons, but when I enter the pits AI brings me to the pits but not I do rifornimento.Cosa ago I do? Anyone can help me, otherwise I can not be with you Sunday.
Thank you

nhill40   

I've just done my first RaceRoom pit stop ever this week, so I am definitely no expert, but at the same time all the steps are fresh in my head.  Here are the steps as I recall them off the top of my head:

1) While still on track (preferably on a nice, long straight :) ), hit the button you have mapped to "Request a Pit Stop" (this will be "P" on the keyboard by default)

2) This will bring up a semi-translucent menu where you can select how much fuel you want to take on, as well as front and rear tire selections (this is where the presets come in handy).

3) While still on track, highlight the fuel and press enter (should turn green), highlight front tires and press enter (should turn green), highlight rear tires and press enter (should turn green).

4) Pull into the pits.

5) At the point where the AI takes over control of the car in the pit lane, the button labeled something along the lines of "Confirm Pit Actions" should become available.  Highlight this and press enter and it too should turn green.

At this point, everything should be automatic - the AI should pull you into your stall and, 5-7 seconds later, you should be released.

It feels a bit clunky to me which makes me suspicious I may not be doing it quite right, but the above procedure is what I followed in an offline race last night and it allowed me to successfully make a pit stop.

If anyone has any tips to streamline the process, please correct me as you see fit!

nhill40   

Here is a video:

This seems mostly consistent with my procedure - it would appear as though my 3rd step (where I confirm fuel and front/rear tire selection while still out on track) may be redundant.

nhill40   

My apologies if this was already posted, but is there a full itinerary for the race tomorrow?  I'm assuming the 1730 GMT is the start of open practice?

14 minutes ago, nhill40 said:

My apologies if this was already posted, but is there a full itinerary for the race tomorrow?  I'm assuming the 1730 GMT is the start of open practice?

1715 GMT - server / TeamSpeak reboot

1730 GMT - practice

1830 GMT - qualifying

1900 GMT - race (2 hours)

nhill40   

Thanks, Doug.

Also, a couple procedural questions:

1) This has always been a safe assumption in my multi-class experience, but I don't think it hurts to ask for the record: GT3's are expected to "race the line", correct?  i.e. the GT3 drivers should make no well-meaning attempts to "help" the P2s, as the speed differential between the 2 classes should allow the P2s to pass the GT3s more or less at will (as long as those of us in the tin tops are being predictable, watching our mirrors for P2s coming up behind/beside us, etc)

2) Can anyone state definitively (a) what the pit lane speed limit (if any) is and (b) where that pit lane speed limit goes into effect?  I realize those probably seem like really dumb questions, but the couple offline races I've done in preparation for Sunday's race have served to really confuse the issue for me to the point where I really have no confidence on either question! :D

F19_CoNa   

1.yes if you can safely promote a pass by the P2 s , it's recommended, but this must be done predictibly so the P2 driver can see your intentions. If it cannot be done in such way, you should keep on the raceline and the P2 will need to be patiance for the next possibility to pass. 

2. I will post some pictures of the pit limits and also where the field will be released in the morning.

F19_CoNa   

Some notes for the race.

Pit entrance is here:

pit entrance.jpg

The pit speed is 80Kph which is aprox 50Mph.

pit speed.jpg

Once you pass the pit line the AI will take over the car and it will release it just before the pit exit:

Please practice pitstops so you know how it works.

pitexit.jpg

Be aware of the entry to the track and keep it on the right side until safe to enter the racing line on the left side down Kemmel straight.

Start procedure:

The start will be with a formation lap in singel file first. The grid goes over to double file after the busstop chicane.

double file.jpg

The polesitter will use the pitlimiter down past "la Source"

The polesitter is free to start the race from the first line below:

First start line.jpg

Last point of release is the finish line. After that point it's green race.

last start line.jpg

Oqvist   

Yes practise pit stops. Double line into eau rouge will be interesting :)

As for lapping it´s just about being predictable. If you want to change lane for a smoother lapping do it well before the P2 is on your tail. 

I recommend crew chief https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/offical-release-of-crew-chief-version-4-auto-updating-and-shiny.2516/

I am a bit annoyed at my crew chief though don´t like how he like to point out I am 4 seconds off in my sector 2 times versus the AI all the time.

Server rebooted and 1 hour practice has started.

Qualifying in 50 minutes.

Be sure and join Teamspeak Server 2
Server Name: SimHQ Motorsports
IP: 74.116.1.247
Server Password: carrera

Coutie   

Well I guess I messed up. Didn't have a confirm pit stop button. You would think after selecting everything you wanted, it would do those changes, but I guess that's not the case. Not like I can go anywhere, seeing as AI are controlling the car.

Somehow I got the lead after some dude wrecked me before the start of the race. I don't know how I was the only one to end up that way, seeing as he accelerated right through me and I was on the third row.

It was fun, other than those two events.

F19_CoNa   

Well, that was not the best race from my side, and to make it worse I was kicked out or after a second stop.

I lost internet connection for a short while but it was enough :banghead:

Thank you all that could participate in this race.

We will have to sleep in this to see if we will proceed any further.

Staniol   

I like raceroom. It looks stable, feels right, no warping (apart from that one P2 during start), stable fps, nice look, and race was fine. 

Looks like no carsim can improve my pace, so its my turn to improve.

I run out of fuel in the pitlane, approx 2 meters from the box, that was embarrassing.

Oqvist   
57 minutes ago, Coutie said:

Well I guess I messed up. Didn't have a confirm pit stop button. You would think after selecting everything you wanted, it would do those changes, but I guess that's not the case. Not like I can go anywhere, seeing as AI are controlling the car.

Somehow I got the lead after some dude wrecked me before the start of the race. I don't know how I was the only one to end up that way, seeing as he accelerated right through me and I was on the third row.

It was fun, other than those two events.

Somebody behind jump the start a bit. A pity looked like you where good for a one stopper. It was frustrating not seeing your car pit before the 1h mark. The Daytona is not even close do it on one stop. I memorised my pit confirm button wrong I pressed 4 buttons nothing happened. When I finally found it I was passing the corner for first pit lane but thankfully it was in the second pitlane. 

It was a fun race and some great racing in the beginning. I was a bit hard on the engine with my shifting the red stable showned almost 40 % wear.

To bad about the attrition. Only 5 finishers :(

goon   

Firstly, enormous fun! Second - what a disaster for me! 

When my PC started it completed an update, which is what I'm guessing caused my sound / headset problem. With my headset plugged in the sound and mic went screwy as soon as I started the game or Crew Chief. Managed to get in monitoring only on TeamSpeak, but with no practice to speak of. Very pleased to put in my fastest lap in qualifying, by about 2.5 seconds. Last but one on the grid though. 

Before the start I realised I couldn't hear TeamSpeak so mucked about with levels, which meant that when CrewChief spoke I just got a massive burst of static. No time to fix now, we're starting. I stupidly span on the formation lap, taking a bit of light damage, but managing to regain my postion on the grid before the start.

The start was uneventful, but I've got no comms to the pits, and because I always use CrewChief I've never setup the HUD elements. No idea of my position, tyre temps, or anything. I think I ran an just shy of an hour before the pedals box started slipping, perfectly simulating the effect of a 'long' brake pedal! (I didn't know this was what was causing it at the time.) I pitted for tyres, and whilst on AI manged to ALT-Tab out to tweak the comms, so that at least I could hear the pits, even if they could not hear me. I was straight back in the next lap round my brakes were unusable. I jumped under the desk whilst on AI again and adjusted the pedal box before rejoining. This is real endurance racing!

The car was fine now, so I settled in again, before starting to think about a splash before the end. The pit menu / control in Race Room is pretty confusing, and I managed to take tyres but no fuel. I pitted again, and manged to cancel the stop with no way I could undo, and left the pits with my remaining 2L. I ground to a halt two thrids round the lap, with 20 minute to go.

Despite the difficulties it was great fun, and as i'm not so fast it's a great way to get enjoyment out of online racing, taking on the challenge of racing two hours.

Looking forward to more, when I've got y various PC / control problems sorted!