Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nhill40

Dirt to Daytona - ps2 wheel

6 posts in this topic

I played Dirt to Daytona until all hours of the night when I was in college - still my all time favorite career mode (why can't modern devs do it like this again???)

I picked up a used copy off of eBay tonight and I'm wondering if anyone has wheel advice?  I had a half way decent FFB wheel for my ps2 back in the day, but that thing is long gone now.  I have a G27, which is of course ps2 compatible, but I've had mixed results with it.  For example, it works with Gran Turismo 3, but it's a little wonky in terms of button config and the FFB effects are way high.

I've been semi seriously eyeing some of the older used Logitech ps2 wheels, as supposedly some of those play a little friendlier with some of the earlier ps2 titles.

I have a Driving Force Pro, which was made with the PS2 in mind.  It has been a good wheel over the years, just a few minor issues with the pedals (nothing that can't be fixed by opening them up and cleaning/reconnecting things).

Thanks for the info, Lugnut.

I am going with a bit of an unusual approach and taking a flyer on the original "Driving Force" (i.e. not the Pro) - I scored one for $40 (including shipping) on eBay.

My rationale is that when I tried my G27 with GT3, the FFB effects were nearly strong enough to rip the wheel out of my hands (to the point where I didn't even use it very long, because I was afraid what it was going to do to the motor).  My thought is one of the older, weaker wheels may have better with some of the older PS2 games.  For $40, I figured it was worth a shot (especially since I've found a retro video game store not far from my house and I've started amassing a lot of the older PS2 racing titles for $1-3).

Well, it looks like the Driving Force was a good investment.  Got D2D in the mail the other day and finally had a chance to try to hook up my G27 this afternoon - pretty sure D2D doesn't even recognize the G27 (unless there is some setup option I'm overlooking).

Driving Force should arrive tomorrow...

Gotta love the US Postal Service - get a load of this:

I live in the Denver metro; wheel is being shipped to me from Fresn.  Package's first waypoint?  Well, Philadelphia, of course!!!

From Philly, it went on to Jersey City, NJ (even FURTHER in the wrong direction), sat there for three days, and now is on the move again (hopefully in the right direction this time, but I'm not holding my breath).

If you google "usps weird routing", you'll get tons of hits - this apparently is far from an anomaly, especially for the cheap-o shipping classes.  Apparently routing logistics are all about making sure trucks/planes are full rather than any one package taking the most efficient/logical route between A and B.  Still haven't quite been able to make sense of that...

Finally did get my wheel - I'm in Dirt to Daytona heaven now. :)

It's kind of interesting replaying games you haven't played in 10+ years - D2D is every bit as fun as I remember it.  Having a few years of sim racing under my belt, I think I possibly appreciate it even more now, as it drives quite believably.  You can really feel the understeer/oversteer (or tightness/looseness as we like to say stateside ;) ) of the cars as you make upgrades/tuning changes.

I do think my G27 theory is probably sound in the sense that I think that is probably "too much wheel" for some of the early PS2 titles like GT3 or D2D.  The Driving Force works great with both games - GT3 the cars all feel a little "boaty" to me, but I think that is probably down to the core game physics more than the wheel.  D2D drives pretty amazing with the wheel - just gotta dial out the deadzone and dial up the "sensitivity" (which works like adjusting the wheel lock in this case).

Now, back to my burgeoning dirt track career... :D