Sign in to follow this  
Doug Atkinson

Your opinion - G27 vs T300

If you've had hands-on with both, please comment. I don't use the shifter, only the paddles.

I may move from my G27 and would love to buy Fanatec, but not at $1000 USD for the wheel, hub, and pedals. I'm sure it is good, but I can't justify it.

nhill40   

Doug,

I went from a G27 to a Thrustmaster TX.

I really loved my G27, but the TX is just a much better experience.

The only complaint I have about my TX is the garbage pedals it comes with (though you can get one of those $20 adapters and use your G27 pedals) and no h-shifter.  I've since complemented my TX with a set of T3PA Pros and TH8A - both are very good quality, but unfortunately not cheap either.

But, I digress from the main point - as far as feedback strength and fidelity go, its really a no contest between the 2 wheels.  I dont usually suffer from buyers remorse, but a few weeks after I got the TX, I started having some doubts - I felt like, eh, its better, but only marginally so over the G27.  Well, I still have my G27 (my son uses it now), so I switched them out just to try to get an objective comparison...the buyers remorse was dead within seconds!  

I take no pleasure in saying this, because I have a real emotional attachment to the G27 as my first "serious" sim wheel, but the G27 feels like a rattle-y, sloppy mess relatve to the TX.

Sim racing still isnt real racing, but the forces coming from the TX feel significantly closer to what I feel driving my actual car.

Thats my 2 cents. :)

Oqvist   

I do preferr all belt driven wheels I tried over the G27. After using the fanatecs even their cheaper wheels like GT3 and Turbo S the G27 just feels broken when the cogs break havoc it gets really distracting. Prior to trying belt driven it didn´t bother me nearly as much. I can´t say I go faster though. the Fanatec GT3/Turbo S series had more resistance to them which could slow corrections, T500RS torque can be quite wild which is fun but don´t always help precision. TX operate smoothly though it lacks a bit in the torque department. But I feel about as confident as the G27 for rally and it still is a bit more powerful. It´s clearly a better wheel I feel.

I can´t vouch for the quality of the TH8RS because mine started having issues after just a few month of little use I would clean and oil it but after a few hours it would go bad again. Thrustmaster was not helpful at all getting a replacement. They where sold out at the time but my reseller did give me a refund when Thrustmaster didn´t want to replace it. Got the Clubsport shifter. Twice the cost but at least 4x better feel for both sequential and H-shifter modes. The TH8RS I felt was just marginally better then the G27s H-shifter. It does have sequential and maybe you can get some decent analogue handbrake with some rubber for resistance.

I have used the stock TX pedals less then 15 minutes, not very exciting. I would try to find a used set of T500RS pedals as I did like them quite a bit better then my nixim modded G27s but that is more a matter of preference. I like them inverted. T3PA Pro is pretty much the same beside new conical brake mod comes shipped. You can get skateboard bushings for the T500RS cheap but only if you like short very stiff brakes. Though it´s soft now being used to the HE Sim Ultimates. 

nhill40   

I would bet I'm marginally faster with the TX than I am with the G27.  The FFB feelings are just much more even (and probably slightly amplified) over what you get through the G27, so I can't imagine this not being a help over the course of a race.

That said, it's not like I started breaking all my PR's by full seconds the instant I started using the TX.  It would also be very difficult I would think to separate the placebo effect out from any actual benefit.

I think once you reach a certain level of quality in wheels (and I think the G27 is probably at/above that level), you probably want to base your upgrade decision based upon a general sense of enjoyment rather than any expectation of jaw-dropping performance gains.

kludger   

Doug let us know what you think if you pulled the trigger on the move to the T300.

I made a similar move from G27 to the TX wheel which is just about the XB1 version of the T300, using it with my G27 pedals still, I love the FFB improvements, the only thing I don't like is how much bigger the wheel is, since I race from a desk, the extra depth puts me farther away from the monitors which I don't like, but overall it was a big improvement.

Oqvist   

Maybe you could find some vesa stand to get the monitor closer I lucked out on my current monitor it has a stand that is like a wedge and wide enough I can get it tucked in behind and even over the wheel base.

On 6/17/2016 at 11:12 AM, kludger said:

Doug let us know what you think if you pulled the trigger on the move to the T300.

Yep. Looks like it'll be autumn before I can afford it, but unless Tmaster announces something better at E3, that'll be it.

I have a T300, it works great on RF2 you don't need anything more really. The G27 pedals are much much better you only need to buy an adapter for them o work with the T300.

I also recommend you get the F1 add on if you do single seaters, prototypes or GTs (not needed for ovals and FWD cars), makes inputs more precise and you have a little better FFB feel due to the wheel's lightness although the ergonomy is bad, the thumb rest should be way more upwards for me.

On iracing the FFB isn't great so a higher end wheel like Fanatec CSV2 may be justified, but I never tried myself that wheel on iRacing so I don't know if it's worth the difference in money. For RF2 i don't believe it is as you can feel everything with the T300.

Actually yesterday I figured out how to correctly configure FFB at iRacing and it is as good or even better than RF2 but they work differently.

You need to use the minimum FFB force, that you also have inside RF2, but with this wheel if you use more than 2% you get this terrible vibration at 0 degrees, tried everything I can think of and can't get rid of it in RF2.