Piotr

Indy 500

32 posts in this topic

100th Indy 500

I would really like to watch it. Anyone knows reliable stream? I can pay fair pay-per-view if required.

Thanks in advance!

Pretty entertaining race, so much action on pit lane though.  Had to smile a bit when Hunter-Reay got wiped out by a teammate, since he's usually the one doing the crashing of teammates.  Watching the final 2 laps was probably more intense then if there were an actual close battle.  Rossi was going so slow and it's like you were just waiting for his car to stop. 

Also, can we just refuse to acknowledge the '96 race, call next year the 100th running again? 

That was an amazing race!  I agree with Mudcat that this type of finish was actually much more exciting than watching 2 cars trade spots every other lap.

Rossi kept bubbling up to the front of the field during the second half of the race, but I never took it seriously - looked very flukey and just a being off on strategy kind of thing...and, I guess that was more or less the case, but the timing worked out perfectly and it led to quite a thrilling finish!

For someone who usually watches Formula One it was a very refreshing change of scenery. The way everyone dives into the pits, three-wide, under Safety Car was entertaining. A bit more gritty than the polished F1 protocol. Nice to see a Rookie win, even though it seemed like a fair bit of luck.

As I mentioned to a friend yesterday, it's funny: US Ball games (Football, Baseball) are far more complicated rulewise than European Soccer. US Racing is a fair bit more simplified than European Formulas (basically: go out and drive, refuel,get tires, keep driving).

One thing that has shocked me is the reaction to the finish some people are having - saying it was a letdown, etc.  I'm not an oval guy really at all (other than Indy), so maybe it's just me not understanding the nuances of how it was "supposed" to play out, but to me that was about as good of a finish as you could get with all the suspense of those last few laps.

I mean, an oval track is practically a giant roulette wheel - the antithesis of road racing "parades".  The chance that something just completely nuts is going to happen is really magnified on oval track vs road track, so I say enjoy the nuttiness!  

I liked the finish very much. That last 2 laps were great seeing Rossi going so slow and nobody knowing if he will make it :)

2 hours ago, nhill40 said:

One thing that has shocked me is the reaction to the finish some people are having - saying it was a letdown, etc.  I'm not an oval guy really at all (other than Indy), so maybe it's just me not understanding the nuances of how it was "supposed" to play out, but to me that was about as good of a finish as you could get with all the suspense of those last few laps.

I mean, an oval track is practically a giant roulette wheel - the antithesis of road racing "parades".  The chance that something just completely nuts is going to happen is really magnified on oval track vs road track, so I say enjoy the nuttiness!  

I think people just wanted a big name to win.

I was hoping Hinchcliffe would win. It seemed like he was slowing down to save fuel, but then pitted when everyone else did. If that was me, I would chance it and go for the win, but I guess these guys also have to think about the championship.

Hinchcliffe was the only one constantly at the front, dropped out very late from that group... must suck to be him.

That's Rossi and my big head in my avatar, so you can imagine how I feel about the results!

I think Hinchcliffe was one of those that got screwed by Buddy Lazier's tire driving better around the track then the rest of his car did all day.

In general, fans are less appreciative of fuel mileage finishes.  They want to see the hard side-by-side fight to the finish, not someone coasting to the win half a lap ahead of everyone that had to stop.

But that's racing sometimes, and it's just as legit a win as any other.

Basically they want to see racing like in previous years.  For example, like this video of two women watching their respective men drive cars or something.

9 hours ago, DaveP63 said:

That's Rossi and my big head in my avatar, so you can imagine how I feel about the results!

I thought about you Dave as i watched him cross the line. Have you been able to talk to him post race, or were you there?

I just got back from Indy and need to see some replays of the pit incident again. 

Soon as they cleared that yellow around lap 35, you just knew it was going to be an exciting finish with some teams trying to stretch the fuel. When Alex crossed the finish line he looked like we was coasting (which he wasn't). IIRC he finished 4.x seconds ahead of Garza.

Glad to see the Michael A team win. Only a win by one of AJs cars would have been better for the 100th race.

Love the strategy and tactical aspects of a race like that. So much more interesting than a win by a nose. Reminds me of WEC endurance racing.

Dave, how were you involved with Rossi? Pretty cool either way :)

Thanks Doug. I must have read that article once before but I didn't recollect that particular picture... seriously cool, Dave must have been walking on air all monday?

No Monaco for me this year, but I did tune into the Indy 500...

A perfectly timed yellow to throw the fuel saving game into the mix... And it won...

A couple of interesting self spins that could rear their heads later in the year at the other ovals.. 

Monday was a good day, yes! It's so hard to believe, I'm sure it's nothing compared to what he's going through. It's a wonderful thing for he and his family. The dynamics going forward should prove interesting. I don't see him going back to F1 to drive a bottom feeder. We shall see...

Awesome writeup, thanks. Certainly makes Indy sound a lot more complicated than what I as typical European Road Racer would have understood.

7 hours ago, LugnutUSA said:

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/item/130260-pruett-inside-rossi-s-wild-rise-to-indy-500-glory

This article breaks down what they actually had to do in order to make it to the end on fuel.  Absolutely incredible work and it should erase any notion of the win being about luck, or a fluke.   :P

I am shocked that you can run an engine on the yellow map without burning it up from being too lean. I never would have believed you could do it!

11 hours ago, LugnutUSA said:

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/item/130260-pruett-inside-rossi-s-wild-rise-to-indy-500-glory

This article breaks down what they actually had to do in order to make it to the end on fuel.  Absolutely incredible work and it should erase any notion of the win being about luck, or a fluke.   :P

Thanks, that was a really good article.  Funny how they mentioned the "Full Throttle, Full Throttle" call on the radio, cause when I heard that watching I had thought that they figured out he did have just enough to make it, just the opposite haha.  Immediately after crossing the line I could have sworn the car shut off, but I think that's only because that's what I was expecting, like he magically had exactly enough fuel to get to the line and no more.  

Before the season I was hoping that maybe he was going to be one of the Haas guys, figuring they might try and get an American driver for the American team to help drum up interest.  Shame things went they way they did for him with his ride, but I think that after winning the 500 he probably isn't as upset about it.   

8 hours ago, Mudcat said:

Funny how they mentioned the "Full Throttle, Full Throttle" call on the radio, cause when I heard that watching I had thought that they figured out he did have just enough to make it, just the opposite haha.  Immediately after crossing the line I could have sworn the car shut off, but I think that's only because that's what I was expecting, like he magically had exactly enough fuel to get to the line and no more. 

According to the engineers, that would be perfect fuel mileage! True story, when we won at the Indy GP with Wickens, our engineer was chewing his nails during post race inspection because we had to have 1 litre of fuel for a sample and he wasn't sure we had enough. We had 1.2. After that, whenever the engineer said put 4 gallons in it, I'd put 4.5.

I like Newgarden but I was taken aback when he tried to down play Rossi's win by saving fuel, and said something like "a proper Indy 500 finish should've been racing hard to the finish line". The Racer article really shines the light on how the race was won and how hard Rossi was trying, it was anything but coasting to the victory except last stint, which was also masterfully executed. 

Scott Dixon is always praised on his amazing fuel saving skills but I think Rossi took this art to the next level (not to mention learning some of the tricks on the fly). This was an amazing race victory story and very fitting one for the 100th anniversary, I am glad I watched every lap of it.

For anyone having heartburn over Rossi's finish, he beat Munoz by 4.5 seconds. Formula 1 has had one race so far in 2016 that has been closer. There were 16 drivers that finished on the same lap as Rossi, so there were 16 drivers within 35 seconds of winning the race. F1 usually doesn't have but one or maybe two competitors finish that close in a race. Not wasting Rossi's natural abilities and racing maturity on the currently spiraling F1 circus is a blessing.

It sounded like Rossi maintained even power down the home straight. Think of the discipline required to do just that.

Thing is I doubt many F1 fans are complaining... Those that would be are more likely to be from the oval racing side of the coin and casual viewers who just want to see action... So it's not really a comparison that can be made... 

I do agree it's good to see Rossi in Indy, just like it's great to see the Senna, Prost and Piquet fight it out in Formula E with Buemi, Di Grassi and Vergne... 

The F1 dream for the drivers has been priced out of most of the talent bases range, and as that show continues to crumble under the weight of out of touch rich people, more people see the political show for what it is...

I read a pretty good article not long ago arguing that the end of Tobacco advertising was the end of Formula One talent...

Indy car is about 10x cheaper to run a season so naturally it should mean talent gravitates there.

I only took 3-4 photos Sunday, but Stewart asked I post them soooo...

Here is what the 3D map said was going to be our view.

indy-seats.png.587778042ec4beb9f5c6cc14c5c11ee2.png

And a RL view from our seats. I'll probably never get a seat this good again for any race I ever attend in the future.

indy1.png

These next two show a couple of rows of cars after the massive main straight crowd had dispersed. We were surprised at the amount of traffic around each of the cars. Undoubtedly corporate sponsors and contest winners for each car along with team members.

indy5.png

indy2.png

The Borg Warner Trophy arrival and presentation prior to the race. It was carried from there up to Winner's Circle for the post-race event.

indy4.png

In retrospect, I actually like the Daytona track better than Indy. In the highest front straight seats you can see the entire track. At Indy, even up high, you can see at best half-the-track.

To parrot Gareth's annual LeMans tickets photo :)

They are clear, screen printed on plastic, and suitable for framing, which they definitely will be.

tickets.png

Thanks for posting the great pics Doug. These tickets are gonna be great framed! and to top it all off, the winner was the Castrol car :)

Nice Doug, thanks for posting those. What a fantastic view from those seats!