Bruce

R3E Questions

23 posts in this topic

Ok I'll admit I like iRacing, but at the same time I like racing the AI more, plus my schedule and iRacing don't always meet eye to eye. I also run Rfactor 1 and 2 as well as Game Stock car 2013 and just recently got back into Nascar 2003 again.

My favorite remains GPL, but finally got rid of it off my PC about 2 years ago.

So how does Raceroom experience comapre to the sims I've listed and is it worth getting ? even though I'm not a huge fan of Steam.

It's absolutly worth to get. It's free to use with the "starter kit" which includes some tracks and cars, and you can test all cars before buying. There is a cost, but compared to iRacing it's still dirt cheap. and no monthly fees.

Agreed, the online racing system for iRacing rocks. It's just the best, but as you wanted offline, this is the best. The AI if you run it in dynamic mode and give them a few races, you will find to be just awesome as they learn how you drive.

Try it out, and if you don't like it just remove it....simple as that and at no cost.

If you don't like steam, you will soon be limited to iRacing as rF, AMS, AC, pC all now are on it and they are closing the gates to their own old delivery systems. Well even iRacing is there so who knows when that will be the only option.

gongo2k1 made a great video on R3E.

Thanks, CoNa.

I can't comment on the online aspects, but from what I hear, you won't find better online experiences than iRacing at the moment.

I started my sim racing journey just 6 months ago with Stock Car Extreme. Since then I've gotten rFactor 1, rFactor 2, Automobilista, and R3E, of course. Compared to the rest of these sims, R3E is possibly the most "casual" because it doesn't have a full flag system and pit stops are AI controlled as soon as you pull into pit lane. It's also lacking night time races and rain/fog (rFactor 2). Mix-and-match multi-class races are possible online and planned in the near future for offline races with the AI. These are all things available in rFactor 2, and with the exception of the rain, also available in SCE/AMS/rF1.

I'm not sure I understand the FUD around Steam (for the most part I haven't heard any real/legitimate problems with it, it just seems to be the "cool thing to do" to hate on Steam... whatever), but I find Steam to be an amazing service that always worked perfectly fine for me. Being that I haven't owned an optical drive in a long time, digital distribution is the way to go for me, so being able to login and re-download any game in my library is a huge plus for me. If you haven't tried Steam in a number of years, I would suggest giving it another shot because the platform has really matured and grown over the past 5 years especially.

There are a couple areas that R3E does *much* better than any of the titles that I've mentioned so far. First and foremost, the content. R3E has more content than SCE/AMS/rF1/rF2 and it's all very well done. Don't get me wrong, I've really come to love the Brazilian tracks that Reiza have so artfully reproduced in their sims, but R3E has an excellent mix of familiar tracks from Europe, Asia, and the US. Most tracks have multiple layouts and depending on the car series you're driving, the advertisements and billboards will change to the actual sponsors for that race to increase the realism. The hill climb tracks are incredible as well. R3E has a lot of content from Audi, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz (though the rest of the VW family is curiously missing) as well as the most licensed GT3 content out of this group of sims. The content has a great cohesive feel and there isn't any of that sandbox/third-party hodge-podge feel that you get in rF2. The liveries are all licensed and feature real sponsors and logos unlike the odd fictional liveries that adorn the cars in SCE/AMS.

The other area where R3E truly shines is in the options and configuration. You can configure the audio to mix up or down suspension squeaks, tire scrub, road noise, ambient noise, wind roar, transmission whine, etc... allowing you to really fine tune the sound experience how you like it. You can also configure the individual effects in the force feedback to increase/decrease the feeling of kerbs, gear changes, engine RPM, suspension loading, etc... and if you just want steering forces, you can do that too. None of the other sims have the level of configurability in sound and FFB the way that R3E does and it makes a *huge* difference in the overall experience in the sim. It also has very good customization of clutch bite points and deadzones that the rF1-based sims are lacking, but it's mostly available in rF2.

Viewing replays and taking/sharing screenshots is a lot easier in R3E as well. The menu system as a whole is much clearer and easier to navigate than the odd and cryptic rF1/rF2 menu system. The ability to create a race for 20 minutes with a mandatory pit stop and 24 cars is just a few mouse-clicks away. You can also customize the cut track rules (off, slow down, drive through, stop-and-go, etc) in a very simple and easy-to-use menu system. The dynamic pit request menu is pretty slick too.

So, now that we've got all of the technical stuff out of the way... how good are the AI? Well, the game uses an adaptive AI system that will learn your pace and adjust automatically so that you're always having a close race. It definitely takes time and consistent driving to train them properly, but I can honestly tell you that I really enjoy some good position battles with the AI. For single player racing, R3E is pretty good (and the action just gets better with the Crew Chief spotter app).

If I had to point at a single thing that's really annoying about R3E, it's the requirement for a constant internet connection. There's no way to play if your internet is down or if Sector 3 are performing maintenance on the servers. There are myriad reasons for why they've designed it this way and from a technical standpoint I agree with it, but it does make for a bad user experience when I can't click off a few laps because the servers are down for maintenance.

Like CoNa said, check it out and see what you think, the worst thing that could happen is that you uninstall the sim because it doesn't suit you.

Anyone have a hard copy of the CD they would like to sell?

26 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Anyone have a hard copy of the CD they would like to sell?

ROFLMAO

Ladies and gents, we have a comedian in the house! ;)

I ony ask because there used to be a section where you could buy and sell games at the old SimHQ site.

Sorry, but it's download only, as it's via steam.

2 hours ago, Bruce said:

I ony ask because there used to be a section where you could buy and sell games at the old SimHQ site.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not... but if you truly want to pay for media that you can download for free, you'll have to pay for shipping from Europe as they don't offer the DVDs in the US: https://www.raceroomstore.com/shop_en/list_page?cat=21

I actually had no idea that it was offered completely stand alone, but it seems like a hefty investment for what appears to be a non-expandable version of the sim.

Well, was not aware of that, but it's good if you are on a low speed internet connection 

Good find :thumbsup:

Yeah, digging through his old comments, it looks like Bruce is on 1 Mbps DSL, which would explain the reluctance to download the 20.5 GB for R3E. It does make me wonder how that ever worked with iRacing, but I guess that's beside the point.

It's nice to be in a part of the country where Google Fiber has forced the competition to up their speeds. I'm on a 105 Mbps (12.7 MB/s) connection with Comcast and have been for a while now. I just kind of take it for granted that everyone has decent internet these days.

If internet was that big of an issue for me, I would probably just stick to Stock Car Extreme. I'm not sure there's a lot of value in R3E if you don't have fast/reliable internet considering the size of the download and the frequency of updates.

In general you're going to have a hard time playing any games if you need to depend on physical distribution since everything is digital now and even console games require large updates on day one.

PS - In the future you might want to consider leading with "I have slow internet service" instead of "I don't have time for iRacing and I'm not a fan of Steam". It makes a very substantial difference in the recommendation of which sim to run.

Yep your right slow internet is right, but I still manage iRacing, just not when I want to, guess you might say our schedulles don't coincide.Thanks for looking that up though, appreciate it.

Plus I heard if you like offline racing GTR2 and Race07 are tough to beat. If I do ever update to comcast though and I do get Steam, do you need to have an internet connection, even If your playing offline ?

We just have issues with internet of any sort  here up on the hill with high winds and T,storms.

I did manage to find a hard copy of it online, so it should be here within a week, I know theres lots of addon content, so whats worth getting? I see NoGrip has lots of addons for it, anywhere else ?

I just realized you can do the competitions even if you don't have the cars. Before I was just driving the free track and the free prototype car, but today I drove a bunch of stuff. Very impressed. The cars seem a little too easy to drive though, but I'm not really an expert on that subject.

I'm thinking of jumping in on the 2 Hours of Spa, but I have some noob content questions.

I currently really have no content outside of a DTM pack I got a year or so ago on a really good deal.

From what I know about R3E, you're strongly pushed in the direction of buying complete packs, because otherwise it seems you have to collect liveries one at a time.

So, I will probably take the plunge on the GTR3 pack, but my main question is, since the P2's will also be running the event, do I also need to own all of those too?  Or do I just need to own the car/livery I plan to drive?

You only need the car and livery you will run with. And the track of course.

Thanks, Conny.

Car and track are both great - good stuff!

The GT3s seem to have no way to completely turn off TC - just the 6 presets, I guess?

Also, I'm of course on "get real", but I couldn't get the brakes to lock up even when I tried!  I scoured the settings for some kind of ABS, but didn't find anything.

You can set the TC steps in the setup. I always have step1 to 0%

The cars do have ABS as IRL, but you should be able to lock up still i think. 

Will test as it might be the server settings.

Did a quick test and the GTs are definaltely hard to lockup. Might be the ABS that works as it should.

I have put my pedals to require really hard push lately, so I rarely lockup that much. Also make sure you have brake load at 100% as default setups always are at 95%. The formula cars locks up easier so it's possible to do it.

Thanks again, Conny.  I must have overlooked that setting in the setup menu.

I have a sinking feeling I have a R3E content spending spree in my near future - really enjoying the experience so far.  One of the most enjoyable experiences I have had in sim racing was doing a "do it yourself" career mode in AMS.  Like:  start in karts, get a good season finish, move to shifter karts; get a good season finish, move to FVee; etc, etc.  I'm seeing the ability to do a similar career ladder progression with the content in R3E, too.  Plus, really good AI as an added bonus! :)

Hey Conny - can you shed any light on what the tire situation is with the sim?  Specifically, it's very odd that tire pressures/temps are not displayed or changeable in the sim.  You can of course hook up something like DashMeterPro and see the information, but I feel like the devs must have made a conscious choice to not display this data in-game (as it would surely be a trivial task to build it into the setup UI).  It's just kind of interesting, because without temp data, why even try to bother messing with camber (they might as well have disabled that setup option as well).

I've googled around quite a bit, but haven't really gotten a straight answer - as official R3E ambassador to us here @ SimHQ ;) do you have any insights you can provide?

Well, it depends on the group of cars as there is a different tyre models. Some have been updated to the latest model, which includes dirt pickup when going off track. Some models, like the gr5 are older and different, but they work well with those cars.

The main thing that is lacking now is tyre pressure and flatspotting.

There is wear, but like AC there is no clear way to masure. when you are down at 96% it's getting very slippery. In general, a full fuel stint is what the tyres can take with most of the cars. I have not checked the LMP1 and 2 to see how they do, but GT3 are ok with a full stint. So for Spa 2hours I would change tyres while refueling. The LMPs might have to check a bit more as they are close to descition between 2 or 3 stop strategy.

Note that there is a tyre indicator overlay with the fuel, gear and some basic info that shows the wear in green, yellow and red. Once you are in red it's time to change. The temps in Dashmeter pro give an indication if you are overdriving it. Overheating will get you slipping, but you can regain grip by reducing the temps. As in real life, managing tyres is a must in longer races. up to 30 min you can beat them quite hard, but you will pay the price the 30 min after that.

Hi 

Any one know how to change petrol amount when you

go for pit?

I can highlight "green" to have a refil but there is arrows for less and

more, but I dont know how to make them work. 

Maybe its some set up thing ? to bind a/some button for that to?

You must map buttons to adjust the pit menu. Then you need to click past safe, normal, agressive fuel strategy to start adjusting how much fuel you want. I got reported it didn´t work to well letting the game decide. You would think it should work if only a single pit stop is required until you finish?

To anyones knowledge, has Sector3 ever publicly commented on the lack of tire temps/pressures in the sim?  Yes, pressures and temps are most definitely there under the covers, but the devs have made the very deliberate decision to omit them from the setup UI.

I've scoured the web and really have not found an explanation; curious as to anyone has seen one.

I can tell you my educated guess: the devs have fudged with the underlying ISI tire model to get the cars to behave/feel the way they want, but the side effect is that it's producing pressures/temps that are (1) not in keeping with reality AND/OR (2) too easy to exploit.

For the record, I'm not really complaining - I really love how R3E drives and in fact I believe the level of grip you perceive from this sim is much closer to what real life drivers experience (supported by the fact that many real life drivers are aghast at the lack of grip when they fire up many of the sims on the market today).  Unfortunately, within the sim community, people are quick to throw R3E in the "lol not even a sim" category because of the "too grippy" perception.

Anyways, an explanation would be nice but, if my educated guessing is correct, I don't think one will be forthcoming (I don't think too many devs are going to be too eager to say "we've fudged the tire model..." :) )