Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oqvist

Thrustmaster Warthog

12 posts in this topic

Got myself a Warthog in await for the rift. Coming from the Frankenpotato modded CH Fighterstick/HOTAS setup. Certainly a big step up in premium feel. The CH Hotas always felt wrongly designed but it does have some analogue stick that works better as rudder then the hyper sensitive and ultra imprecise analogue stick on the Warthog HOTAS. 

Ideally I would want to use my HE Sim Ultimate pedals but most sims require I have rudder axis on one axis so will need to find some software that let me emulate a combined axis if I don´t want to dust of my awful saitek or ch rudder pedals.

Hesitant to get it as a leftie and I am on the level of a total unskilled five year old. My instincts are often 100 % wrong because every action is mirrored. Not the easiest to get running yet to figure how to manage to fire guns in DCS despite running simplified avionics and having the buttons mapped for every weapon I could find? Need to find my DCS Black Shark it´s not in DCS World could it be imported there?

There is some profiles but they incorporated 7 voodoo steps and a chant to get to operate so I guess better to just manually assign everything or is there some trick to it? 

which version of dcs are you running? 1.5/2.0 you can install through the modual manager in game. 

1.5. I managed to activate the keys in steam.

How do I merge two axis? I am trying with vjoy and UJR but can´t figure out how to merge my clutch and throttle into one axis.

Managed to figure out UJR now I just need my Rift/Vive/StarVR. Trying to land the P-51 but no matter how casual the approach just can´t get it to flare right :(

Spent some time with it in Cliffs of Dover, FSX, DCS. Love how rigid the warthog stick feels on the other hand it´s hurting the wrist in no time and it´s hard to do fast corrections or small inputs. I am just a computer nerd afterall don´t have the muscle strength ;)  Wish there was a Frankenpotato mod for the Warthog because my left is better.

As for precision the CH actually is more precise in it´s vertical and horisontal movements but diagonally it get caught in the tracks a bit. Another pro is it´s plastics don´t cause handsweat though the Warthog is big enough to comfortably using gloves with. 

But it surely feels more rigid and less of a toy if possible I should maybe want to try and reduce the stiffness a bit. Feels like it sticks a bit sometimes. 

Hotas is an insane improvement the CH Hotas is just horrible. Preferr it even using it on the right side. Works quite well running just loose the hat switches and the thumb buttons but the pinky switch and the pinky button is perfectly lined up some sharp edge. I guess I will mostly use that for the arcades and the choppers which don´t have a zillion controls anyway. 

Get an Extension, makes it a whole new experience.

Would be fun to try out where can you find those? I also found a used TrackIR 5 relatively cheap my TrackIR 4 Pro was broken forgot what big difference it made. TrackIR 5 was a really noticable upgrade. My bmw sport seat I found in the junkyard with airbag, adjustable height and angle and what not really comes in handy also getting perfect position for the trackIR and my two he sim ultimates throttle pedals is heaven. Dangerous maybe should stop simracing :P

Found this http://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj.com/product-category/extensions/standards/

Another from New Zealand http://www.simpit.co.nz/index.php/products/thrustmaster-warthog-extension

Edited sorry for the swedish.

I ordered the sahaj one with the dust covers. 7.5 cm tempted by the 10 cm but I only have room for it on the dside of me afraid it would be to much :) 

I recon I should have posted all this at simhq.com forgot about that section.

Just be careful when using the extenstions as I have seen several ones breaking the base with the torque when mounting it, or pulling to hard while flying. I wish TH made some extensions themselfs.

Yep will try. Shipping notice today.

Got the extention and covers now. Like it a lot make it feel a lot more realistic and gain quite a bit of precision in the center I feel with the less abrasive center detent. Just feels smoother and more precise to operate. Stitching is good on the covers it seems no issue there.