Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mudcat

Need suggestions

15 posts in this topic

Well, I finally got a bit of money to use on a wheel, was planning on spending $300 or so.  (converted some of those credit card points to amazon gift cards)

But then I looked and it seems there is a gaping hole between $100 and $400.

I'm no everyday sim racer, so +$400 isn't exactly where I'd like to be for something that would see occasional use, probably spend more time virtual trucking than racing :P But any help in steering me in the right direction would be appreciated. 

If you find a new G27 (or G25) for < $250, grab it. If not...

http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-Force-Feedback-Racing-PlayStation-4/dp/B014US02ZA

If you get more interested in sim racing, replace the cheesy pedals.

The gap you're commenting on is a real problem. So much so, that prices are increasing for the out of production G27s that people found in warehouses. Logitech's G29 is a real flub IMO. That hasn't helped the price range. Then Fanatec moves their hub cost up, quits selling their version 1, and now the market has a massive hole in that price range.

yeah, noticed the g 27's on amazon were selling starting at $460, not sure how much they were originally, but seemed to be rather high.  I did notice the article on that TM wheel after I had posted, think I missed it with some sticker shock looking at wheel prices, I've bought actual cars for less than some of those rofl

Looks like that will be the one.  Time to put the old Mad Catz MC 2 to bed, or at least let my kids continue to abuse it playing Monster Jam.  Funny with the G29 I took a look at it, then the price, then looked back at it again... even with a limited knowledge on the wheels that just didn't seem like what was there and the price jived at all. 

T150 it is then, danke

Towards the end of their production run, you could get a G27 on sale for $220 USD.

Thrustmaster TX or T300rs seem to be cheaper for you then the G27 then. It´s better wheels I feel. No experience with the T150 will probably get the job done :)

I just bought a T300 GTE for £230 which is probably a bit more than $300 but it's bloody brilliant and a big step up from my old Ferrari F430. If I was an occasional racer who mostly drives trucks, the T150 is probably the best budget wheel out there, I spent a lot of time reading reviews before I pulled the trigger and the G29 seems to be an overpriced version of the G27 with no improvements on its predecessors faults. The G27 is a fine wheel but the prices seem to have gone through the roof since the G29 came out, which leaves the T150 and T300 the only viable wheels in that price range. 

Well between the T150 and the T300 I'm leaning a bit more towards the T150.  Trying to weight the difference in price has been hard to say the least.  They both have the same pedals.  So is the T300 2x as good as the T150? The price is roughly double.

Watching the review video in the other thread you could tell they seemed genuinely surprised by it.  I know it's probably nothing to judge things by, but for flight sims I have the TM T Flight Hotas X, which is by far the least expensive HOTAS you can get.  I wound up preferring to use it over plenty of other more pricey gear.  So just I guess i've had a good enough experience with other Thrustmaster, cheaper by a lot, products that I'll probably just take that plunge.  

Unless there is something I'm missing, feel free to let me know :) 

Also would like to thank everyone for their helpful suggestions,

This review was the one I found the most helpful, partly because the reviewer is a t300 owner who migrated from an F430 wheel -the same as my old one- http://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-Tech/Thrustmaster-T150-Force-Feedback-Wheel-Review-Gateway-Potential-Insanity . The upshot is that the quality of the components is lower than the T300 (to be expected) the force feedback not as strong, and the sensor resolution lower than the t300 (though almost certainly good enough for any non alien). Is the T300 twice as good? It's hard to qualify that as I haven't used the T150. I absolutely love my t300, however I am certain that I would have been satisfied with the t150, plus with your stated budget you would be able to get the t150  and the t3pa pedals http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-3-Pedal-Pedal-Add-On-xbox-one/dp/B00KX75W9O for your target price.

yeah, that is the complication, but t300 is now showing for $300, which was the target, and at that price I think I'll just jump on the t300.

Nice one, let us know what you think when it arrives, I'm still getting to know mine, I felt an immediate improvement in my performance when I started using it in AC, not much in outright speed, but consistency and error correction seem to be much improved and the feeling of being connected to the road is remarkable. You won't regret it..

Will do, should be here somewhere between the 11th and 17th.  With any luck I can convince the Mrs to take the kids somewhere and let me test it out in peace, although I'm not holding my breath on that one.  My only worry is about it fitting on the space I have.  Will have to get some new racing games as well :D

well that was fast, got here today, free standard shipping and it only took 2 buisness days :thumbsup: bit of a shame it's a nice 80 degree day outside, gonna keep me from getting to it, almost afraid to open the box

How are you liking it so far? And have you started planning a cockpit yet? Hahaha.

So far it's been good,  I need to start tinkering with the settings though now that I have some more time with it.  At first i just used it as is, and everything was set at 100%.  It felt very weird and to me at least, unrealistic.  Right now with my settings it's probably a bit too far in the other direction.  Haven't started planning that cockpit yet, not at least till I have some space other than the living room to put the PC in so the wife doesn't kill me :D